A Tale of Two Martlets - +++ Finished +++

Some more photos to show progress.

IMG_1605_zps1ozlnogo.jpg

IMG_1603_zpshtharasj.jpg

IMG_1604_zpsnxj2q4dz.jpg

Not much to do now, canopies on and painted, a couple of transfers, the wings on the folded version, a coat of Matt varnish and the exhausts fitted.

• Like 3

Thanks CedB. A little bit further on the way. Wings on, canopies painted and unmasked, and the aerials, pitons and exhausts firmly glued in place. And a couple of coats of matt varnish brushed on. I have tired of 'modellers' matt varnish which dries anything but matt. So I popped into the local art shop in Kingston and purchased this after a discussion with one of the very knowledgeable staff. I went for the less expensive artists mix. There is a more expensive professional version. It wasn't cheap £9.95 but lots of it as you can see. But it brushes on a dream thinly with a broad brush and dries with a very flat finish. A second coat is truly matt. 

IMG_1616_zps3f6vuxhv.jpg

A couple more snaps. Just some transfers on the props and they are done.

IMG_1614_zps3chblsp4.jpg

IMG_1612_zpslhuucn4s.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice finish, especially those props :)

Good purchase of the varnish - I've been using the Windsor & Newton Galleria stuff for a while and it's similarly better, and cheaper, than the modelling stuff.

Almost there. And disaster strikes. Airfix give transfers for the prop blades which were carefully and gently put on and left to dry under a dash of Setting solution. This one looks fine. I have spotted that a sliver of yellow paint is needed. A 10 second job. 

IMG_1618_zps2nxiboey.jpg

However, on the second it looks like a couple have migrated. When found a couple of hours later they were rock solid. Nothing would move them, I tried lukewarm water, setting solution, saliva and finally boiling water. 

IMG_1619_zpsb9wdmmmo.jpg

As they are a pair I can't really get away with it, or stripping them off one. I do have another Airfix Martlet in the stash so will have to rob from that and reappraise when building it. 

Bad luck with those tiny transfers moving - the other looks really good.

I normally use a small Tamiya cotton bud to roll mine down now but getting them to look 'right' is hard; their very small.

Resuscitation of prop started. First, old transfers scraped off. They resisted being stripped with tape. So a new layer of paint needed.

IMG_1620_zpsem57peau.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the first finished specimen of Grumman's little naval fighter, courtesy of Airfix

IMG_1621_zpstgejkfii.jpg

IMG_1622_zpsmojnu2m6.jpg

Once the other is complete with its prop I'll pop them onto RFI. 

• Like 5

Resuscitated prop. I'll leave it a little while before putting some setting solution on. 

IMG_1626_zps0fqky5l4.jpg

• Like 1

What on earth has happened here? Over night one of the transfers has disappeared!! There must be a conspiracy. Especially as we have a busy old day today and no real time to fix it. 

IMG_1627_zpswdfacwmw.jpg

Luckily I do have one of these little maker's transfers left. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CedB said:

What the...? i bet it's on your finger / brush somewhere. Little devils.

Looked everywhere Ced but no sign anywhere. You can't win. Put setting solution on and they migrate, don't and they fall off never to be seen again. All I can think that happened is overnight the carpet monster got hungry; so it climbed up onto the table for a small nibble.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished. The eagle eyed amongst you will spot that there is still a missing prop label. I added a new one for the missing and lo and behold when I popped the little minx down another had gone AWOL. after much mumbling, swearing and searching all over the table I gave up. I might pop some gloss or semi gloss paint over it to look like a repair. 

Here they are. I'll post some more on RFI later on

IMG_1631_zpsh4t1qtnj.jpg

• Like 3