A Tale of Two Martlets - +++ Finished +++

I have three new Airfix Martlets and rashly a few days before Christmas though; 'I'll bash up a couple of them for the Mediterranean Theatre GB as the markings in the box are for two Operation Torch aircraft'. Not a good idea with three days to go and my speed of building. Thankfully sanity prevailed and I will work on them alongside by Tungsten Barrracuda at a more leisurely, and eminently sensible, pace.

IMG_1530_zpsccnvxwlt.jpg

I'll still build two together and do one of each of the options in the box. They are both for aircraft from 888 Squadron from HMS Formidable. Both are classic Dark Slate Grey/Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky but one has the US Stars instead of British roundels so they will look quite different. Airfix also give the option of folding the wings so I'll do one with straight wings and one with folded.

IMG_1531_zpse2xr3vhh.jpg

No idea why Photobucket has inserted the pictures upside down. I'll see if I can fix them later. There are things about Photobucket that only Photobucket knows. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 8

I've done a lot of painting while everything is still on the sprues. As well as the detail parts, I've started to paint the wings. My recent Airfix experience is that the fit of upper and lower wing parts is really good, so painting them before glueing them together, not forgetting to touch up the sprue gates, gives an excellent demarcation between the Sky on the lower wings and the camouflage on the upper wings without the need for masking. (And in my case several rounds of touching up). I've also painted the lower fuselage around the 'look down' windows Sky and again this will obviate the need to mask the windows.

Martlet 1 - straight wings

IMG_1545_zpsgarltws5.jpg

Martlet 2 - folded wings

IMG_1546_zpsxjq2d88x.jpg

Interior green is Xtracrylix, matt black and aluminium Revell, Satin black Humbrol and Humbrol gunmetal used for dry brushing. The Sky, EDSG and Dark Slate Grey Xtracrylix, all brushed on.

• Like 3

Finally got some work done. Airfix provide transfers for the cockpit instruments and the main panel. I'm happy with them as they are good detail and there won't be much to see inside. Here they are with a coating of softening solvent to help them stick.

I'll leave them overnight to dry. Mrs 825 plans to do a serious clean and tidy tomorrow in preparation for Hogmanay, you can't start the New Year with a dusty, untidy house, so I should be able to get stuck in with some relative peace. Hopefully, get a fair bit done.

IMG_1547_zpsqahdu6fc.jpg

• Like 2

If you have a few B-17 propellers in the spares box then they might look better after a bit of fettling with the blades. The kit prop is more like the one for the Mk.II. 

Cheers

Tony

First up the cockpits.  Went together relatively straightforwardly. The harnesses are from 2mm tape fixed with a wash of Kleer. 

IMG_1549_zpstbpaad9o.jpg

And the fuselage interiors with the windows glued in. I was going to do a wash but felt that it wouldn't add so left it as is. 

IMG_1548_zpsphbqoenn.jpg

Then the undercarriage which took an inordinate length of time. A little over engineered and fiendishly awkward to get all fitted, as well as having to be left for parts to dry.

IMG_1550_zpsrdghh6fb.jpg

The undercart is attached to the cockpit and then threaded onto one side of the fuselage. This needed a bit of trimming of the spars and a bit of fettling and fiddling around the undercarriage fittings to get it fitted, but went fitted in the end. And secure, was really tight without any glue.

IMG_1551_zpsyyppnzqw.jpg

IMG_1552_zpsjotr3xnd.jpg

Both areas look busy and full. The second fuselage half was then added. Both fitted well aft of the cockpit but not so good at the front. One required a fair amount of tape around the front lower section in front of the wheel well and I used the spare cowling as a former while the glue dried. The second just wouldn't fit in front of the cockpit and much sanding, scraping and muttering ensued. Whether it was Airfix's fine tolerances or my cack handedness I do not know but eventually it went together. It's just odd that there is difference. I transferred the cowling to help keep the front end together but this time the bottom was fine. 

IMG_1557_zpskxzfrogs.jpg

They do look a bit tubby , don't they?

IMG_1558_zpsvi2fpx9d.jpg

Now just leave them overnight to dry. Add filler and sanding tomorrow. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

If you have a few B-17 propellers in the spares box then they might look better after a bit of fettling with the blades. The kit prop is more like the one for the Mk.II. 

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the tip Tony. I don't have a B-17 in the stash but I have a miscellaneous collection of Aeroclub props and there may be a couple that will do. If not I'll probably live with the kit ones. 

• Like 2

Front end on. A little filler was used to smooth out all the joints. I've turned the reduction gear housing round to have the little extension at the top as per other threads. I repainted it from Grey to black and will dry brush it once fully cured and dried to bring out the relief. The engines are a bit dark being well recessed and I may use some silver/aluminium for dry brushing rather than my usual gunmetal. 

IMG_1564_zpseuljamgj.jpg

The Martlet to the right has a pronounced lean which isn't just camera perspective. I'll have to have. A look a this the undercarriage and see what can be done to straighten it up.

Edited by 825
  • Like 3

Here we are today, undersurface repainted, tail plane and rudder on, wings together and added. The outer wings for the folding version are ready for fixing but that will be done later. In passing, does anyone know the colour of the struts used to hold the wings when folded? Post war they became red IIRC but I'm not sure if this would be the case in the Med in 1942. Any advice greatly appreciated. 

IMG_1572_zpsoxem9t0o.jpg

IMG_1571_zpsfql01kwq.jpg

Paintwork is a bit of a patchwork quilt at the moment but the wing demarcation is razor sharp, and I have now masked the underside of one, and will do the other next before starting to complete the upperworks. And I think I've sorted out the tilting undercart on the right hand one since I took these photos. 

• Like 2

Are you going to repaint the engine gear casings grey again? That is the proper colour for US built aircraft engines.

Something approximately this colour:

Women%20at%20work%20on%20C-47%20Douglas%

Chris

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Are you going to repaint the engine gear casings grey again? That is the proper colour for US built aircraft engines.

Something approximately this colour:

Women%20at%20work%20on%20C-47%20Douglas%

Chris

Great picture Chris. I originally painted it a light grey but after looking at Tony O'Toole's build and there were some photographs in his build that suggested it was black or very dark grey.  So I changed it to black. I am going to give it a dry brush with aluminium and/or gunmetal which should lighten it somewhat. 

• Like 1

Had a careful look and the wing/fuselage joint on one needed a bit of filler. 

IMG_1586_zpsa1ma8wj6.jpg

The other on looks OK

IMG_1588_zpsyys0wr4g.jpg

• Like 1

Here's today's work. Masking tape off, a little bit of touching up needed but not so bad. Paint done and the transfers on. Followed Tony O'Toole's advice the position of the phi marking. Will look at my generic transfers for some cowling markings as Tony suggested. Here we  are at the end of today.

IMG_1590_zpszukhqcqb.jpg

IMG_1589_zpssjhti8ap.jpg

IMG_1591_zpsxtaajrqj.jpg

IMG_1592_zpsh1bhid10.jpg

Tamiya tape in front is masking for the canopies. No photos but I've started in masking of the props and canopies as you can see. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

I was thinking of doing the same thing! Are you going to add an aircraft carrier stand?

I would love to but I can't find an armoured British carrier deck. I've found US and Japanese wood decks but Formidable was an armoured flight deck Fleet carrier. If anyone knows a source I'd be grateful.

• 3 weeks later...

There's been a bit of a hiatus in this build. Loads to do at work, a couple of weekends away watching rugby, can't complain too much, Paris and Edinburgh are not bad places to go to, a Burns Supper and a weekend with 825 junior coming back from uni. Little bits have been done, some of the sticky out bits stuck on, the props painted, and undercart finished but  un-photographed as yet. Both are looking nice. Had a little time today and started masking the canopies. Careful use of 2mm tape, cuts of Tamiya tape and a sharp new scalpel blade.

IMG_1602_zps6cihyieo.jpg 

• Like 2