Scaling up plans..again!

beetcleaner

I posted below on scaling up plans and put the good advice into practice. Unfortunately I cant quite get the results I need. In summary I am trying to scale up the colour call out on the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk 1 kit (AO5126)

Wingspan of the kit is 232mm and length is 192mm. Instruction manual wing span is 140mm and length is 115mm.

Using the standard formula on the wingspan works out at 232 divided by 140 = 1.65 multiplied by 100 = 165%. The same formula on the length is almost exactly the same at 166%

I have scanned the A4 instruction sheet and drawn a box around the exact area of the aircraft so that it equals the measurements on the plan ie 140mm wing span and 115mm length.. I then increased the scale by 165% using the scanner controls.

The saved file looks fine but when I print it out it, it makes the wing span 245mm not the 232 required. I have double checked all the printer settings and set everything to default but despite all this I cant get the scanner to give me what I need.

If anyone can suggest a solution before I have to fell a rainforest to aquire even more paper I would be very grateful.

The maths looks fine, so it looks like a printer issue.

Does your ‘print dialog box’ have a ‘Fit picture to frame’ box that needs unclicking?

I had a similar problem with the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire IIa instructions. The camouflage diagram was only slightly smaller than the actual kit (nice one Airfix!). I used the printers (Epson xp-432) built in ‘photocopy’ function, and increased the size by about 113% on the printers (not the computers) settings.

Mart

• 1 month later...

The way I handle this is to take the original plan and draw a line that is "X" long on the original plan. Figure out what "X" would equal in the new scale; call this "Y". Then try a near setting to whatever math says is the correct result, and if the printed line "Y" is not correct, scale the drawing up or down, based on the percent of "Y", rather than the whole drawing.

Be aware some (particularly older) scanners are preset NOT to scan to an original size (copyright fears, I suppose), but also, I have had scanners that would be off either vertically or horizontally, but not both.

I think this has to do with the scan process and the size of the pixels or scan grouping size, ie. 3:3 or 3:2 -- something like what you run into converting PAL videos to NTSC , if you ever done that.

Ed