This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

leyreynolds

Dornier Wal

18 posts in this topic

As I now have both the Huma and A-Model kits, I've started looking for reference articles/books - so far to no avail. Any suggestions please, even if in German?

I've got nothing, so whatever's there must be thin on the ground - I'll let you know if I find anything.

DC

Books on the Do Wal.

Dornier Wal - Flugzeuge die Geschichte machten by Heinz Nowarra, Motorbuch Verlag, 1993.

Dornier Wal "a Light coming over the Sea" by M Michiel van der Mey, LoGisma editore, 2012 (third edition).

Nowarra's book is the most useful from the modeller's point of view.

Also, check the Seawings site:

http://www.seawings.co.uk/DornierWAL-WRgal.htm

Mike

Edited by Michou
Added reference to seawings

A book(let) in Russian, Летающая лодка Дорнье ''Валь'' by Б. Р. Котельников and published by Гангут. Its PDF version can be found on all the usual places on the web. Cheers

Jure

also this book, edit in Italy but written in english :

M. Michiel van der Mey
DORNIER WAL,  "a light coming over the Sea"

LoGisma, 2012 (3a ed.), 256 p., ill., 17x24 - ISBN 978-88-97530-23-7

r.

Ley, can you say something on comparison of those two models (A-model and Huma). They are of two different versions of Wal.  A-model has squared wings, Huma has rounded tips, for instance. But - are  they close to each other in what should be the same or they looks like model of two different airplanes? Can you do some comparing photos? It could be very interesting ....

Cheers

J-W

I thought there was a Waffen Arsenal title dedicated to it, but it seems it was only part of the coverage of #171. Should be available via Abe. Googling "... Dornier Wal" also brings up a book by Manfred Griehl (also Motorbuch). While I am not a great fan of his, it should be better than anything by Nowarra.

There is also a downloadable PDF by ADL , look at adl-luftfahrthistorik.de/dok/dornier_Wal - I came across it Googling waffenarsenal dornier wal.

Van der Mey´s book is mainly concerned with the first generation (J I) Wal. There is another book from Motorbuch Verlag: Manfred Griehl, Dornier Wal, ISBN 978-3-613-3452-5 which contains a large number of useful contemporary pictures as well as colour photographs of the Wal replica from the Dornier museum.

The A-Model Wal is a first generation military Wal. The J I military Wal had a pointed bow. There also was a civil J I Wal ("Verkehrswal" which had a rounded bow.

The Huma Wal is a second generation (J II) Wal, also called the 8-t-Wal. This Wal was an entirely new design. It had neither the wing nor the fuselage im common with the J I Wal.

1 person likes this

I've now received both books mentioned above and at first glance I'm no wiser about the development of the Wal series and their differences. I hope that a close read of both and reference to the two kits will make matters clearer.

What the world, or at least Admiral Puff and myself, needs is a comprehensive book in English on this fascinating aircraft!

Have you checked the pdf I mentioned?  It's part 4, so logic suggests there are at least 3 other instalments. I am in the middle of the Atlantic on vacation and posting from the mobile,  otherwise I 'd have given you the link. (No idea how to do this. ..)

9 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Have you checked the pdf I mentioned?  It's part 4, so logic suggests there are at least 3 other instalments. I am in the middle of the Atlantic on vacation and posting from the mobile,  otherwise I 'd have given you the link. (No idea how to do this. ..)

http://www.adl-luftfahrthistorik.de/dok/Dornier_Wal_001.pdf

http://www.adl-luftfahrthistorik.de/dok/Dornier_Wal_002.pdf

http://www.adl-luftfahrthistorik.de/dok/Dornier_Wal_003.pdf

http://www.adl-luftfahrthistorik.de/dok/Dornier_Wal_004.pdf

Cheers

Claudio

Edited by ClaudioN

I´ll try to give a short overview of the Wal subtypes:

1. Dornier J Wal (other designations: 6t-Wal, Wal 1922)

1.1. Militärwal: Rather thin-profiled wing with square wingtips. Hull with an oval bow. Top decking slightly curved downwards towards the bow. Open cockpit for pilot and co-pilot in the bow far forward of the front propeller arc. One open gunner position each in the extreme tip of the bow and on top of the rear fuselage behind the rear propeller arc. This is the type depicted by the A-Model kit and this is the type used for many pioneer flights like Amundsen´s.

1.2. Verkehrswal: The civil airliner version. Same wing as above. Blunt, round bow with a passenger cabin in the bow. Large passenger windows in the hull sides (there were variations with round and square windows, also different numbers of windows). The cockpit was relocated to a position behind the front propeller arc, on the right side of the hull.

2. Dornier J II Wal (8t-Wal, 8,5t-Wal, 10t-Wal)

2.1. 8t-Wal: Thick-profiled wing with oval wingtips. Hull with a pointed bow and a sharp vertical front edge. Rather horizontal top decking. Cockpit relocated to the forward position, enclosed cockpit on some civil versions. Military version with one gunner position in the bow and one or two on the rear decking. Civil airliner with two passenger compartments, one behind the cockpit and one in the rear of the hull. Smaller, porthole-type passenger windows. This is the type depicted by the Huma kit.

2.2. 8,5t-Wal: Strengened hull for catapult launching.

2.3 10t-Wal: Increased span for long-distance flights. 

Edited by schulz_hl