1/72 P.1000 Ratte German Mega-Tank - Modelcollect

Madoc

11 hours ago, Joona said:

About so. I know some hardcore nazis like Hans Ulrich Rudel (read his autobiography) also wanted the Patton solution. Despite his questionable motives, Rudel was respected for his ground attack pilot skills. Enough to be a consultant in designing the A-10 Warthog. Douglas Bader himself took the POW to his manor and arranged a better prosthetic leg. As the Yanks he originally surrendered to stole even that among his Ritterkreuz and other decorations. I do not wish to diss Yanks generally, but in this particular case Brits had more honour.

Thanks for the inspiration. As I have told, there must be a beefed up Koliibri scout / attack helo. And who would be better piloting that than Rudel? This is starting to sound like an all-star cast of old farts like the Expendables :D

Another myth that comes out from statements of a person who keeps claiming to have been way more than what he really was....

Rudel was not a consultant in the design of the A-10 ! Rudel was sure a good pilot but most importantly a very lucky one, as he survived having been shot down several times. He had absolutely no part in the design of the A-10, he knew nothing about aircraft design. The only part played by Rudel was that one of the civilians working on the project management side of the A-10 invited him for a talk, end of the story

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Another myth that comes out from statements of a person who keeps claiming to have been way more than what he really was....

Rudel was not a consultant in the design of the A-10 ! Rudel was sure a good pilot but most importantly a very lucky one, as he survived having been shot down several times. He had absolutely no part in the design of the A-10, he knew nothing about aircraft design. The only part played by Rudel was that one of the civilians working on the project management side of the A-10 invited him for a talk, end of the story

I never said he was an aerospace engineer. I used the vague word "consultant" just because his role was probably quite trivial, giving a few opinions about ground attack planes and how they should be. You, signore, seem to have some kind of personal grudge. No need for that. Or did I urinate in your morning cereals or something?

24 minutes ago, Joona said:

I never said he was an aerospace engineer. I used the vague word "consultant" just because his role was probably quite trivial, giving a few opinions about ground attack planes and how they should be. You, signore, seem to have some kind of personal grudge. No need for that. Or did I urinate in your morning cereals or something?

Nothing personal from my side, sorry if my words gave this impression, I apologise for this.

My point is simply that there are some facts that over time have become myths, the role of Rudel in the A-10 is one of these. He was never a consultant on the A-10 project !  Reason why I posted my comment, it's something that is not correct and I express this fact. Same for the Me.262 supposedly advanced aerodynamics, a lot of this is a myth and I'm ready to point this out. I see myths like these all the times when it comes to German WW2 designs, so much that at times it's hard to tell what was real and what was not. Mind, I don't negate the effect of WW2 German innovations in warfare, there have been a good number and some have had a long lasting impact. At the same time I am rational enough to look at the development of military equipment and see where ideas came from and how. I don't negate the importance of the ideas coming from Nazi Germany but at the same time I don't adhere to the view that every possible advancement after WW2 was the result of German WW2 studies, a view that I see advertised very often.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Madoc said:

Guys?

How about just sticking to comments about the model kit?

Now there's a novel suggestion!! Been a bit of drivel and garbage about "neo Nazis" and, "glorifying" Nazi technology .Bottom line is, this is just a model. As for comments as to why companies produce kits of .......................................(insert as required) when we still don't have a kit of .........................................(insert as required), the answer is obvious. There is a market for them. Simples! That's the only justification they need. We all get frustrated when companies don't produce our pet subjects but, that's life. People don't like the subject? Fair enough. Accept it and move on instead of acting like spoilt  brats and throwing a hissy fit! Nobody forcing you to buy the things. There are a lot of subjects that bore me rigid - Boring grey jets,Spitfires, Bf-109s, every other done to death already WWII aircraft, Sherman tanks, T-34s etc  etc!

I cannot afford this particular kit but, if I could, I'd have it in a heartbeat! Perhaps my partner will put it on her crimbo list for 2018:idea:!  I'll certainly have the Takom  1/144 P.1500. 

I applaud manufacturers that produce these "out of the box" (no pun intended) subjects. It's largely thanks to Modelcollect and their fictional subjects that I got back into Armour modelling. Long may they continue. Now, if only they would do a Luftwaffe '46 range to accompany them.......:rolleyes:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Lancaster said:

Just looked on modelcollect's website, they're advertising it for $119 which roughly translates into ~£84. 

Yup. That is peanuts to me, But it is rather costly. And it is not released yet. They take just preorders. The weapons kit is not quite released either, bus as far as I understood, they're gonna release it first. Ordered mine already from a German hobby shop. As there will not be inter EU customs, shipping is much cheaper, and it actually arrives in a couple of days.

If anyone is interested in beefing it up with the obvious scout and forward observer for  those insane pocket battleship guns, here...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/957423-rs-models-92183-flettner-282-b-0

I do warn you again. That sucker has more flash than actual parts. Needs a patience of steel.

17 hours ago, Madoc said:

Guys?

How about just sticking to comments about the model kit?

Yes how about we do that, and moderate some of the language used as @Mike has just had to step in and change a few words to ones which belong on a family forum.

Julien

• Julien locked this topic