Shark Mouth P-47

omererkmen

Dear modelers,

I have recently found a photo of this impressive jug. This P-47D Shark mouth  525th FS / 86th FG based in Grossetto Italy, October 1944 - pilot: Lt. Riley “Mo” Stewart;

I wonder if there is more photo of this particular airframe, I'd like to complete it in 1/72 with custom decals

Thank you in advance

Shark_Mouth_525thFS86thF_zpsxaakhnbu.jpg

a48-006c%201_zpsswvq20qq.jpg

Omer ERKMEN

Edited by omererkmen
  • Like 2

An attractive scheme but I think you'll need to do some more digging for details.  The serial given in the artist's caption seems to be a Waco Hadrian.  I wonder what information he had for that?

Without a name to duplicate, you might be in luck for the scheme though.  A white undercoat for the mouth and stripes, some gentle work with masking tape and the red goes right on.

• Like 1

Yes I don't know why they have put ??-78973 as the serial number because if it was a D-15-RE then the serial would obviously start with 42, the question marks would be more appropriately placed after the dash. 

Since D-15-RE serial numbers go from 42-75615 to 42-75864 and 42-76119 to 42-76364 then we know that the 2nd number on the aircraft can't be an 8, but it could either be a 5 or 6 but then the 3rd number can't be a 9 either. 

I've only ever seen the picture you posted of this aircraft but the picture that AMDG have used must be of poor quality and they have used their best guess at the serial without any other research so the other question is how do they know it's even a D-15-RE?

Here this aircraft done for a flight sim and they have used 42-75793 which fits nicely in the D-15-RE serial number brackets, which in a poor quality picture the 5 could be confused as an 8 and as for the 7 and 9 being around the other way, well not sure how that happened.

ss14436.jpg

So taking 42-75793, the Aviation Archaeology website says that this aircraft belonged to the 325th FG and the P-47 Database website also says the 325th FG, in the 319th FS. Now this would tie up with the green paint being used to over paint the code number on the side of the aircraft as the 319th FS used very large code number from 70 to 99 on the side of their aircraft, the AMDG artwork looks like it was 88, but that would most likely make it "Big Stud" which was a D-10-RE seiral 42-75008 (with the 325th till April '44) so that counts that airframe out. I don't think it's likely the 325th FG had another Razorback marked up 88 after "Big Stud" as they would have mostly likely being replacing aircraft with Bubbletop P-47's or at the least very late Razobacks be then. Of course the code number could be 83, it's hard to tell without seeing the picture.

Without any other evidence I would go with 42-75793 as the serial number.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

As soon as I saw that photo I knew I had seen it before - I had it on my HDD all the time! Too many photos of aircraft to find the one I want!

Here's it is a bit larger

31767991562_30f6e9a194_o.jpg

The link ghibli66 gave shows the Montex mask sheet, which they think it's either 75973 or 76973. 75973 would make it a D-16-RE which I think is the most likely. From what I can tell 76973 isn't a P-47 serial number.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

OK just found this cool site  http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/usafserials.html

and putting in 42-75973 it come up with this under P-47D-16-RE

75973 (525th FS, 86th FG, 12th AF) ground looped at Grosseto airfield, Italy Oct 19, 1944.  Pilot survived,
					aircraft badly damaged, unknown if repaired.

So I guess that's got to be the serial number of this P-47. Putting in 42-76973 comes up with nothing.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2