Well folks here he is, finished at last. 

Some of you have read the WIP thread for this little fella which chronicled not my build, but the process of learning how to paint and weather a kit; this being my first build following a break of 35 years and realistically the first I have truly painted. 

The WIP thread can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011076-bandai-r2d2-and-bb8-newbie-wip/

Ultimately R2 is destined to be a bookend, but until I sort that part out, here is my finish painted model:

R2D2 Finished

R2D2 Finished

R2D2 Finished

R2D2 Finished

A big thank you to Rockpopandchips, AndyRM101 and Oileanach for their technical help when it all went "Pete tong", but thanks to everyone else who watched and commented on my WIP with words of encouragement. 

I'm going to detail paint BB8 next and see if I can get away without using any of the transfers or stickers as I did with R2.

thanks for looking,

smeggy

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, mostrich said:

I'm sure the "real" A2-D2 would give you some bleeps and peeps to approve your work. Very well done, especially after such a long hiatus.

The hiatus should have been shorter - my son got me the kit for Christmas last year! Still you can't rush these things. 

I still have to build the diorama bookend but I have to collect lots of greeblies for what I have planned (and coffee jar lids it would seem judging by lots of other builds :D).

I have have really enjoyed building this though. 

Edited by The Chief Smeg

On 27/12/2016 at 1:55 PM, Ragtag said:

Looks great, weathering is really effective.

I think you've overlooked something really important though - bookends come in pairs. Who's going on the other end? :devil:

Aah well, now we have the real problem. The kit I have is the BB8 and R2D2, but I think I rather fancy buying the 3P0 kit for the other side. I'd like to see if I can put goldenrod into the Hoth base setting but I'm not sure my scratch building skills are up to that. 

Nice 'Why Bird' btw

Edited by The Chief Smeg
Weird auto correct - 'Hoth' had become 'Goth' lol

7 hours ago, Vanoyen said:

Great work!  

He was one of my favourites when i was a kid and still is today :)

I feel exactly the same, back in the late 70's I had one of the original R2 kits - he has always been my favourite 

4 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

I feel exactly the same, back in the late 70's I had one of the original R2 kits - he has always been my favourite

I had this...   Apparently they're now worth around $400. 

I like yours better lol.  

sw-r2-d2-1977.jpg

Edited by Vanoyen

53 minutes ago, Vanoyen said:

I had this...   Apparently they're now worth around $400. 

I like yours better lol.  

sw-r2-d2-1977.jpg

Never had any of the action figures, I think my R2 was the MPC kit because I also had 3PO and an X-Wing. 

1 hour ago, rockpopandchips said:

Well done for not giving up and on it turning out so nice, he looks fantastic. 

Well I had some good advice from you all on here, it was surprising how much of a difference adding the second weathering colour helped. 

Cheers. My plan is to display him as a bookend and I'm currently (very slowly) collecting the stuff I need for the mini diorama; once I build that I'll be giving him his final weathering to tie him in with the base. It is a Yavin base inspired idea and he'll be fixing a busted piece of old equipment in a gloomy corner. At least that is the plan. 

Thanks R0ver, I hope my ideas are not let down by my ability. I have a Stormtrooper ready to paint and build and I have an idea for a duo for that, but again I need to see if I'm being too ambitious.