Britain’s Type 23 Duke Class frigates were originally envisioned as pure anti-submarine vessels, to the extent of being planned with no other armament. The 1982 Falklands War quickly put paid to that idea, however, and the Type 23s would end up being commissioned from 1989-2001 and fitted with a main gun, Sea Wolf short range anti-air missiles, and Harpoon anti-ship missiles to accompany her torpedoes, decoys, et. al. These changes turned the frigates from specialized sub-hunters into versatile multi-role combatants that play a key role in the British fleet.

This is the Trumpeter kit HMS Westminster which I manages to pickup at SMW kit swap for an extremely reasonable £20. Then discovered in the box there was a replacement main gun from White Ensigns also.

002D9738-190B-48CF-8485-723691D202CD_zps

The kit has a nice piece of PE, on the left, but I also got the bigger set from Atlantic Models.

3B6A453B-04A7-4AE3-8EC3-3888AB877DBE_zps

Started with the hull and main superstructure pieces. All crisply molded and fit is excellent. So far just dry fitted the superstructure.

1FA44DE2-94CA-4283-9403-A7BABDF36AC3_zps

• Like 9

The Trumpeter Type 23 is quite a nice kit to build. You might find my build log for HMS Somerset useful:

There are a number of minor flaws in both the kit and the PE which are worth knowing about.

I am looking forward to following this build having seen how excellent your other builds have turned out.

Paul

I used the kit PE for the "nest" but Atlantic Models set for the yard-arms. The AM set is a little easier to work with....but not a lot 😳

852BF69A-E4FF-441E-81A5-B6CA73C47241_zps

This is going to be very slow going....but I trust will be worth it in the end

• Like 9

Thanks Gents

Primed the enclosed fan deck, added the nets and a missing hatch using the spares on the Atlantic PE set. But once it's closed up nothing will really be visible, but I'll know it's there.....😀Sometimes I wonder at the lengths we go to. 

E9925FB5-C6B6-4E6A-8DA6-110760D2258F_zps

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Gents!

After being adrift for a while I managed to get it primed. Kept the second mast off for ease of painting. Sorry I didn't think of that before doing the first too....

FA277739-DF14-4B72-8C1B-298D4CD1F12D_zps

Next up paint and then mask the decks

• Like 8

Thanks Mick

Decks fully masked and the hull and superstructure painted. Need to build a jig now to hold her upside down to do the hull red and boot line while protecting that mast

7AFAFC41-9857-43D2-8860-95CF6DA59477_zps

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I have been neglecting this for a few weeks as I flipped between projects. Was having difficulty with painting and needed to spend some time just cutting plastic and gluing, but that's for another thread. HMS Westminster is back on the bench now though

2nd coat about to go on....

854AF38D-2E35-478B-8181-CC11845A5BA1_zps

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SeanM said:

Boot line applied. Almost afraid to take the tape off..... 😀

Go for it Sean we are all getting impatient  :whistle:

beefy

• Like 1