Yak - 3 Seat Belts

Bob Henry

I am still working on my next out of the box build for our club's show in February. It is the Eduard weekend edition 1/48 Yak - 3. The kit does not have seat belts so according to the rules I can add them but they have to be made from paper or tape only ... no metal or aftermarket stuff. Does anyone have photos of the real full scale Yak - 3 seat belts including the attachment points ? I can become very "Creative" with the tape and some paint. Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it.                     Bob H.

13 hours ago, BallsBuster said:

Here, there might be drawings which could be helpful. 

http://hobbyport.ru/avia/yak_3.htm

Please note, that although Eduard insists on making their harness in tan color, on Yak-3s they were more likely to be green or  light khaki.

The drawings are ok but I'm still having a difficult time trying to figure out the attachment points. I could take a wild guess and assume that the lap belts are simply attached to the cockpit floor and the shoulder harness belts are attached at one common point on the rear deck somewhere in front of the radio. That's just a wild guess.                  Bob H.

2 hours ago, Bob Henry said:

The drawings are ok but I'm still having a difficult time trying to figure out the attachment points. I could take a wild guess and assume that the lap belts are simply attached to the cockpit floor and the shoulder harness belts are attached at one common point on the rear deck somewhere in front of the radio. That's just a wild guess.                  Bob H.

IMHO it doesn't matter all that much because they won't be particularly visible. The most obvious thing is to make the slot in the seat back for the shoulder straps, which can then be fixed to the back of the seat. I attached the lap belts to the sides of the seat; you can't see the attachment once the seat is in place.

As a side note, you should treat yourself at some point to a build of the Zvezda Yak-3 -- more accurate and a really nice piece of engineering.

2 hours ago, Seawinder said:

IMHO it doesn't matter all that much because they won't be particularly visible. The most obvious thing is to make the slot in the seat back for the shoulder straps, which can then be fixed to the back of the seat. I attached the lap belts to the sides of the seat; you can't see the attachment once the seat is in place.

As a side note, you should treat yourself at some point to a build of the Zvezda Yak-3 -- more accurate and a really nice piece of engineering.

Thanks Sir for the info. At some point I'll take some photos and maybe post them on the Aircraft work in progress thread.                                  Bob H.

1 hour ago, Bob Henry said:

Thanks Sir for the info. At some point I'll take some photos and maybe post them on the Aircraft work in progress thread.                                  Bob H.

I'll look forward to it.

From photos and diagrams the lap belts fasten to the sides of the seat, the shoulder straps disappear through the seat back never to be seen again, though with the seat, shelf and armoured glass the anchor point wont be visible.

PHOTO%20SEAT%20BELTS_zpsssewjoeg.jpg

SEAT%20BELTS%20JPEG_zpsjw9vpwjj.jpg

Cheers

Dennis