Airfix 1/48 Javelin Mk7

This isn't the best photo I've taken, but here it is anyway.  The aircraft depicted is XH838, a MK7 in the colours of 33 Squadron RAF.  The kit is the Airfix 1/48 and the AllyCat conversion.  My dad was a Junior Technician, (instruments) on the flight line and worked on this very aircraft, which was my motivation for doing this particular aircraft.  I do need to replace a couple of vortex generators on the starboard wing though!

IMG_0201_zps1vpuraqi.jpg

IMG_0202_zps8xjgjymy.jpg

Edited by Andy341
Photo missing
  • Like 33

Hi Exdraken,  the conversion kit for the Mk7 from Alley Cat contains a resin rear end section, resin leading edge gun port inserts, and revised leading edge resin inserts.  In addition to the resin parts there was a brass fret with vortex generators, as the Mk7 only had these on the leading edge and trailing edge (just in front of the aerolons), whereas the Mk9 had three rows - as per the kit.  It is necessary to remove the vortex generators in order to put the leading edge resin inserts, it also allows for easier application of decals and masking for painting.  I hope this helps

Now I know how to post photos, here are a few more of the Javelin Mk7 taken in better light.

IMG_0503_zpslnmllaoz.jpg

IMG_0504_zpshvjn3okm.jpg

Hi 

• Like 4

Thanks for all the kind comments, I had great motivation to get this one right.  The access ladder is included in the Airfix kit, as are a set of FOD guards.  However the FOD guards used on this aircraft are from the Eduard Javelin Exterior brass fret and are, in my opinion, better than the ones provided.

Kind regards

Andy

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

A superb looking Javelin and nice to see it built as a Mk7.  A great paint finish.  Now, if only Airfix would scale it down....

I have been saying this at every opportunity I can. I really hope that Airfix have plans to do just that.

Duncan B

• Like 1

That's a great bit of work and, as has been said previously, good to see an AlleyCat conversion in use. I have several to do when I get around to it and I almost bought another conversion in the Kit Swap at Telford because it was around £15 but then I thought about yet more storage space for a built Javelin and decided to let someone else have the pleasure!!

Simon

• Like 1