Coastal Command Halifax GR.II HR686 - Revell / Aeroclub / Freightdog

woody37

With a week off, I've been making the most of time at home and started on the latest build. I've had the Aeroclub engines for a while now, but just got round to putting them to good use. Having been inspired by the excellent Merrick book - Halifax 'From Hell to Victory & Beyond', I thought I would do HR686 which was tragically lost after being hit by gun fire from the ship Amisia which ironically is the ship that rescued the survivors. You can find out more about the fateful mission HERE.

31078447233_116efb8ecc_o_d.png

I've started with the conversion bits to get the hard stuff out of the way. The Aeroclub engines are nicely shaped, but not shake & bake. The beautifully formed resin radiator intakes are a couple of mm narrower than the nacelles at the top rear, so some sanding and filling is necessary. As such, I've had to rescribe the panel lines, but they are a good fit to the wing. Given this aircraft will be white rather than black, imperfections will be more visible, so I'm spending plenty of time getting the nacelles smooth. I've added new radiator doors underneath out of plasticard due to the zealous sanding and used the Quickboost carb intakes on the sides of each nacelle. It's taken a day of fettling to get them to this point, but look at the photo's next to the kit parts and make your own mind up whether it's worth it, I'm happy about the replacements.

31771274821_2f5ea721b2_o_d.jpg

31078406783_f9ea82a2bf_b_d.jpg

31047341244_33a7625649_o_d.jpg

I've had to scrape away the nacelle interior at the front to allow the undercarriage mounts to fit, but this was fairly straight forwards. Aeroclub provide modified front & rear bulkheads due to the new nacelles being narrower than the kit parts, but you can trim the kit bulkheads down as another option. The undercarriage assembly doesn't need any modifications, it will drop straight in.

31078406683_9a044ee002_o_d.jpg

I've ordered some replacement Quickboost exhausts although the kit parts aren't too bad.

31740255342_26faa0cb5e_o_d.jpg

31047340944_afeec955ab_o_d.jpg

Given the individual fitments of this aircraft, Freightdog provide the parts necessary - Tollerton nose (which is available too in the Mk.III kit) and the raised fairing. The mid upper turret on this aircraft is a BP Type A Mk.VIII left over from Defiant production and sat slightly higher than the later Type E resulting in more drag. It also had the shroud fitted, again supplied by Freightdog...

31078406503_b07fde896f_o_d.jpg

• Like 23

Yes, I do want a Halifax, to go along with my half-built Lancs. I shall be following this build, Neil! I've always loved the look of aircraft in the white CC scheme.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one Neil,......I`ve added some info to your request for help on the WW2 section if it is of use,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Cheers guys :)

This is where I got to yesterday, Boxing day was a pajama day had by all in Woody residence, great for cracking on with a build!

Added some rivet lines and reinforcing strips to the wings. So much better than the kit engines.

31874695276_95b3bf7ae3_b_d.jpg

31764334732_57af1f5e6a_b_d.jpg

31071986384_61fe853380_b_d.jpg

• Like 9

Not much progress to show, but the little output hasn't meant that lots of input wasn't taking place. The ailerons are wrong on the Revell kit and that horrendous step on top just needed filling as well as the bottom enlarging although I haven't done it enough. I tried various techniques to get the finished surface how I wanted it without success (I need to empty the swear box now!!), in the end, I masked the aileron leaving the rib areas exposed and gave it a dose of thick primer before removing the masks and sanding it to leave a very subtle fabric effect. TBH, I'm sick of looking at the damn thing, but quite happy with the result.

31792827362_b909d41a85_b_d.jpg

31100356704_3bec962848_o_d.jpg

31792827202_eccf4575c6_o_d.jpg

• Like 7

lol, it's usually the other way round John! Ask Chris :lol:

Fettled a couple of props up earlier to see how things look and with them on, it's looking very Halifax like.

31960228305_64e01a254a_o_d.jpg

31843727811_eb980985d7_o_d.jpg

31923308306_2b0a16a357_o_d.jpg

As a comparison with the kit nacelles which appear to be Lancifax parts!

31845921821_2f6e4f175b_o_d.jpg

31589017800_7412466462_o_d.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, woody37 said:

lol, it's usually the other way round John! Ask Chris :lol:

Nasty man.

I was going to point out one little error to save you some trouble but for that you can go and bloody whistle  :tease:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Those engine nacelles are a case of beauty and the Beast!!!,.........Good job Neil.

Cheers

Tony

They are aren't they, its a shame because the kit goes together really well.

20 hours ago, stringbag said:

Nasty man.

I was going to point out one little error to save you some trouble but for that you can go and bloody whistle  :tease:

Ha ha, thought you'd bite mate. Give you a call tomorrow :)

25 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Good start Neil...pajama day eh, please do tell, we have the odd 'free and easy' day here too but it's usually only with very close friends if you get my drift.  A triple engined Halibag  now there's an idea.

Must admit it'll be nice to see a non BC Halifax for a change....

Andy, never knew you was that type of guy or am I getting the wrong drift ? :blush:

It does feel wrong doing a Halifax in non BC colours, but I'd like to do more CC schemes, I've got a resin life boat in the stash that needs to get slung under a Lanc too so that is in the plan for 2017 and all being well, not too much scratch building which slows the output down.

• Like 3

Nice start Woody but please, a white Halibag. What are you thinking man? I quite like them actually so looking forward to watching the build. Richard and I had tought of swapping the ailerons over, did you give any thought to that? If nowt else it'd make the filling and sanding harder to see as it would be underneath,

Regards

Paul