Coastal Command Halifax GR.II HR686 - Revell / Aeroclub / Freightdog

woody37

Neil your weathering is just so good. It's so often that you see a lovely model ruined by over-zealous panel line highlighting and pre/post shading, but yours just look so right. 

I think the fact it's quite subtle makes it all the more effective. It's brilliant and I would love to have your talent where weathering is concerned - I really struggle with it and thus don't tend to do much. 

When I was researching my 1/32nd one I came across lots of pictures of Coastal Command Halifaxes, and often exhaust and oil streaked back and stained the lower portion of the fins - especially on the white schemes. It's quite subtle but certainly there - maybe you want to add a bit of muck to yours?

Looking forward to seeing the finished article. 

Tom

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Neil your weathering is just so good. It's so often that you see a lovely model ruined by over-zealous panel line highlighting and pre/post shading, but yours just look so right. 

I think the fact it's quite subtle makes it all the more effective. It's brilliant and I would love to have your talent where weathering is concerned - I really struggle with it and thus don't tend to do much. 

When I was researching my 1/32nd one I came across lots of pictures of Coastal Command Halifaxes, and often exhaust and oil streaked back and stained the lower portion of the fins - especially on the white schemes. It's quite subtle but certainly there - maybe you want to add a bit of muck to yours?

Looking forward to seeing the finished article. 

Tom

Thanks Tom, 

ill have a look at the fins then and see how to add it. If it's very subtle, I'll use a broad brush dusted on.

cheers

neil

23 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Frickin' gorgeous. There are few outrages I wouldn't commit to be able to paint and weather like you, Woody.

Thanks mate. The weathering is a brushing of pastel in the main over the top of the airbrushed exhaust stains to blend them in and create the effect of grime and oil residue sealing along the panel lines. It's built up slowly with a small stubby brush and worked in with a soft wider brush :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Thanks mate. The weathering is a brushing of pastel in the main over the top of the airbrushed exhaust stains to blend them in and create the effect of grime and oil residue sealing along the panel lines. It's built up slowly with a small stubby brush and worked in with a soft wider brush :)

Do you seal your pastel weathering Neil or put it on over the final matt coat to avoid it vanishing?

Regards

JIm

On 08/01/2017 at 11:03 AM, woody37 said:

other than leaving it for weeks for them to settle!

Cheers

Totally agree with that course of action Neil

Works for me every time . :rofl:

Seriously though Matey, this is another absolute stonker

Chris.

• Like 1

Beautiful Halibag, Neil! I really must do this one. To say that mine won't be nearly as good as yours should go without saying (but there, I said it anyway!). However, I do have a cunning plan - the rest of my build will be so shoddy that no one will notice the poor job I've done (oh, all right, will do) on the weathering!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JimHead23 said:

Do you seal your pastel weathering Neil or put it on over the final matt coat to avoid it vanishing?

Regards

JIm

Hi Jim,

i matt it down first to get the pastel to hold then go over the top of the pastel with another matt coat to seal it in. The dark colours don't vanish in my experience, only light colours, so they tend to be airbrushed on.

17 hours ago, stringbag said:

Totally agree with that course of action Neil

Works for me every time . :rofl:

Seriously though Matey, this is another absolute stonker

Chris.

Ha ha, there's shrinkage and there's decay :rofl:

14 hours ago, Learstang said:

Beautiful Halibag, Neil! I really must do this one. To say that mine won't be nearly as good as yours should go without saying (but there, I said it anyway!). However, I do have a cunning plan - the rest of my build will be so shoddy that no one will notice the poor job I've done (oh, all right, will do) on the weathering!

Regards,

Jason

Jason, you and Chris above should meet up, he never finishes his builds either :lol:

• Like 4

Not far to go now, although fitting the exhausts & props has fought me. I used the Rebecca antenna's from the new Airfix Lancaster as they are much more refined than the chunky Revell parts in the kit.

31512911773_b41dc7861f_o_d.jpg

The result of the weathering using pastel, airbrush and Tamiya smoke on a fine brush to create the oil runs

31512911393_a4999de9d1_o_d.jpg

The extra undercarriage parts that are missing from the kit made from stretched sprue

31512911293_fa3e5cdf1a_o_d.jpg

31512911673_658e1016e3_o_d.jpg

31512911363_f3e74e8bd9_o_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 28

Where have I been?? I last posted on the 2nd Jan and that seems like a lifetime ago, and now it's as good as done! Looks amazing too, I bought that nose off Colin to do this, but after seeing yours I think I will stick to my Russian stuff..

Are you going to Bolton mate? Be good to catch up and see this.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Thanks. Hoping to see some progress on your Lanc B.II, never mind that Russian stuff!

Yes, hoping to get to Bolton although not displaying. It's not too far from here, so will be rude not to go as I've never been before.

Cheers

• Like 1

Having watched your progress on this and many other amazing models it should come as no surprise that this one is stunning as well. :goodjob:

• Like 1