Coastal Command Halifax GR.II HR686 - Revell / Aeroclub / Freightdog

woody37

20 hours ago, general melchett said:

Know what you mean about the Xtracrylix stuff Neil, I thin it with Tamiya X-20, (60/40) and add a drop of W&N Flow Improver, works a treat, gives a nice satin finish, admittedly not in the AKAN/Vallejo Air class but good enough here and there . I also try to avoid using it but I'm quite partial to some of their range such as the Aircraft Grey/Green (for RAF bomber interiors),  ADC Grey and several of their RLM colours.....

I've not tried putting flow improver in Andy, although do use X-20, so that might be something I need to try. In the end I used the Tamiya Dark Green 2 & the blue grey mix that I'd put together. It's all painted now with several coats of Kleer over the top for the decals & panel wash to sit on. I've had a few issues with seams reopening but there's not much I can do other than leaving it for weeks for them to settle!

31371536743_7f59ed9d74_o_d.jpg

31340473884_8381a7e726_o_d.jpg

32181856385_57e600a85d_o_d.jpg

Decals on next :)

Cheers

• Like 16

Give it a go, I got mine from our local 'Range' store, though you can get it from Waterstones too, makes a big difference. Halibag's looks really good in that scheme, like the paneling effect.

I don't ever have seams open up once filled and glued...out of interest what glue and filler do you use ?

Looking great so far. I must admit that the enginge corrction and the rest makes such a difference. Now I don't want to sell mine anymore and better get me the correction sets. Like it in that scheme and it reminds me somewhat of this from my youth. Down to the memory lane:

114480-10000-pristine.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Give it a go, I got mine from our local 'Range' store, though you can get it from Waterstones too, makes a big difference. Halibag's looks really good in that scheme, like the paneling effect.

I don't ever have seams open up once filled and glued...out of interest what glue and filler do you use ?

I'm using Tamiya thin, but due to issues, they've been topped up with super glue too and squadron green filler, so there's alsorts in there! What are you using?

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looking great so far. I must admit that the enginge corrction and the rest makes such a difference. Now I don't want to sell mine anymore and better get me the correction sets. Like it in that scheme and it reminds me somewhat of this from my youth. Down to the memory lane:

I've got another set here which will be in a Bomber Command scheme most likely, they really do improve the look of the kit :)

Yes, me too, don't you just love that art work?

• Like 1

Always the same, Mr Hobby's Mr Cement S super thin to glue and Perfect Plastic putty to fill then held together with Tamiya tape. Not really a fan of Squadron's fillers, they always seem crumbly to me.

For the really awkward stuff and resin I like Vitalbond's CA Thick, 45 sec cure, gives a bit of 'wobble' time to get everything lined up.

Must agree, the engine correction set really 'sets' it off......very tempting :hmmm: .

I've not tried perfect putty, does it suffer from shrinkage? The only thing I've come across that doesn't suffer from shrinkage so far is car filler.

Well, at last, it now has an identity! Decals applied, although the markings are MSG rather than slight slate grey, but I'm leaving it as is (quit while you're ahead comes to mind!!)

32038146042_8f40cbe650_o_d.jpg

31811449330_fb04781303_o_d.jpg

• Like 18

I've not tried perfect putty, does it suffer from shrinkage? 

It does but not too badly, another smear over the top usually cures that plus it dries very quickly and is easy to sand. I agree P.38 is the best stuff and my weapon of choice for the big resin/ Amodel epoxy glass over gelcoat stuff...

• Like 1

This one really is looking rather splendid Neil. Great to see the Revell Hali-faux gettting sorted out and into a Costal machine as well.

Can't help thinking the Tolleron nose makes it look a little like a character from The Good Dinosaur movie but that may say more about me than anything else  :blush: :dinosaur: :sorry:

• Like 2

End of play for today and this is where it's up to. Done some weathering and took the masks off (forgot to take the hatch ones off!), but there's some tidying up to do around some of the windows.

32191726525_dbc4e66154_o_d.jpg

31381443693_0031085838_o_d.jpg

31381443493_f928085521_o_d.jpg

• Like 22

3 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Combining great modelling with speed. I love it.

Cheers guys

Cees, stop getting distracted on Britmodeller, there's a rather large Manchester that needs your concentration at the moment.. 😅

Dorothy Dinisaur.... ha ha!!!!

• Like 1

The air of calm around your build would be worth coming here for whatever the occasion Woody. The fact that it's such an exemplary piece of Coastal Commandery only adds to the pleasure.

:thumbsup: Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, I've enjoyed this build and the bonus is that we aren't half way through January yet and its nearly finished, I do hope that's a good indication of this years productivity!!

Done some more work on the weathering since as well as diddling with the detail. In the back ground, the undercarriage is coming together, but we have some of the aerials fitted and the mid upper. Once a final matt coat is on to seal the pastel in, some Tamiya smoke will be added to replicate some oil streaks, these birds were dirty from what I can see on some photographs!

31461261283_247bd9c1b0_o_d.jpg

32271447165_49dd64c32f_o_d.jpg

31895167240_5cacff7b3b_o_d.jpg

32151996581_9ae6a64675_o_d.jpg

32271446855_2a6c846b92_o_d.jpg 

• Like 16