1/72nd Nanchang Q-5 from Trumpeter

Radleigh

Pretty sure it's just a fairing missing between the intake and splitter plate - the real plane has a slight sort of F-106/Viggen-type sweep where the intake lip meets the splitter plate, while the kit has an L-39-like hard crease.  Annoying, but a little filler and some careful filing and it should look much better.

IMO, less of an issue than the drop tanks, since they're harder to correct yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

North Korean markings and the camo scheme look interesting.

But the problem is, there are no Fantan's in service with the North Korean AF.

Never I saw a picture from a north korean Fantan, because, there is nothing.

modelldoc

2 hours ago, modelldoc said:

modelldoc

This is my prob (trust me, i really like to be proven wrong!!) But digging through baidu, I never came up with anything.

Ill buy a couple, but trumpeter really mucked up what is 80% close to being a great kit!! Aside from some things like the miniature  cockpit:, drop tank shape, those rocket pods....... etc

Q-5c - no proper drop tank pylons, just lazily made a tank attach to the weapon pylon. No forward fuselage pylons.

Q-5yi - went to the effort to update sprue with proper drop tank pylon for a standard q-5, but the configuration is not correct for q-5yi!  The torpedo pylons sit just inboard of the wing fence, and a smaller droptank is outboard of the wing fence (a la q-5f with lgb)

Q-5 probable fictitious nkpaf markings, no forward fuselauge pylons

If they update their q-5c kit wih the newer wing sprue, that would be my pic of the bunch, but then again i say put both tails in the box and add more weapons for my dream edition! 😍

Edited by Modelraynz
Spells
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Q-5yi - went to the effort to update sprue with proper drop tank pylon for a standard q-5, but the configuration is not correct for q-5yi!  The torpedo pylons sit just inboard of the wing fence, and a smaller droptank is outboard of the wing fence (a la q-5f with lgb)

I would be interested if you could post some pics, or point me to what's available on the net.

4 hours ago, Antoine said:

I would be interested if you could post some pics, or point me to what's available on the net.

no problem, i had a book around somewhere, but off the top of my head:

2a6ursh.jpg

since the torpedo pics are scarce, some of the lgb mounting, which is in a similar position:

ofvmdt.jpg

Edited by Modelraynz
links
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, modelldoc said:

modelldoc

Hi,

I don't claim there are, but Wikipedia tells also unit and base there are used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People's_Army_Air_and_Anti-Air_Force

Wings palette has a profile (based on what?😞http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/a/993/82/0

And yes, no photos.

Cheers,

AaCee