1/72nd Nanchang Q-5 from Trumpeter

Radleigh

Building one now.

i must say, it goes together fairly nicely....and fast.....cockpit is bare at best but externally looks quite good.....aiming to finish before 2018 and if I do, will post it in RFI...

anyone sitting on on the fence on this one,I would suggest go for it. Only wish it was in 1/48 and with more esoteric markings like Bangladesh and Burma.

cheers guys

rgds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Modelraynz said:

Is it just me or does the wing look a bit too sharply swept or narrow? :huh:

Hard to say really, given the wings and fuselage are based upon a Shenyang F-6 or MiG-19S if you'd prefer, I'd have to compare them to the F-6/19S plans in the 4+ book to be sure, of course that would require me to get my sticky mitts on one first.

Must say I don't like all those pulled rivets shown in the surface detail, I'll be filling those.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Is it just me or does the wing look a bit too sharply swept or narrow? :huh:

I certainly thought that something didn't look quite right about the wing.  Of course, it can be hard to tell from photos; like Wez says, better to get plastic in the hand!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2017 at 11:26 AM, Wez said:

Must say I don't like all those pulled rivets shown in the surface detail, I'll be filling those.

I think that they look a lot worse than they actually are because of the rather unnecessarily dark panel wash the modeller has given it. A lighter tone would give it less of a CAD design look.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Modelraynz said:

yea..... well, about that..... ;-)

compare-XL.jpg

...Still kinda looking too! :lol::party:

A member on here kindly provided me with some Bangladesh roundels for my Antonov 32, so a request in the Wanted section may produce a positive result. I thought the roundels had a white background?

Edited by chris57

1 hour ago, charlie_c67 said:

Don't the Asian air arms SIG do some?

I joined the SIG last September and the leader mentioned this possibility but I've heard no more from him. I did go to their Web site and I'm sure they're still planned. Chris 

On 1/16/2018 at 21:20, Fulcrum@ said:

again a fake news !

:oops:

If Begemot or another decalmaker can be interested ...Caracal perhaps ?

Donald-Trump-Making-Funny-Face-Photo.jpg

:lol:

yea i'm really hoping a decal maker will have a sheet out soon - roundels and bort numbers are easy to supplement, but warning markings etc are a bit tricker

been looking over the kit and i noticed some good/bad news:

the bad: the pylons for the wing tanks are not correct at all,  these are included as a 'swept' forward pylon for ordinance:

DPZsO31UMAEWwVN-L.jpg

when in reality are a vertical pylon with bracing a la mig-19:

20120618010105507-L.jpg

infact when i "actually" look; the fuel tank is pretty off also! probably benefit from a mig-19 tank......though at 11pm here, it looks like an etendard tank may also fit the bill !?!?! 

the good news: its a simple enough shape that most modellers will probably have a suitable pylon....... plus now you have an extra stores pylon for mounting weapons outboard of the fueltank (no locator in to drill out though grrrr)

Id be slightly miffed with trumpeter, if i wassnt so happy to have a fantan after all these years! :lol:

The pylon is wrong, no questions about that. But the aux.fuel tank should be like the standard MiG-19 tank which was uniform for them. Of course there is a possibility to hang "something" else, a tank of a different type or of bigger capacity. This could be the case with the above photo.

Best regards

Gabor

6 minutes ago, madcop said:

It seems to me that the air intakes look also fairly off. I am not a connoisseur; but compared with the pic of the real Aircraft .....

Cheers

Madcop

I see what you mean, the kit has a pronounced splitter plate which the real aircraft doesn't appear to have. :hmmm:

I wonder what can be done about that?

Edited by Wez