Any modellers near Riga? Yak-28 questions

Rob de Bie

1 hour ago, Hook said:

The left upper part of the 2 looks a bit short compared to the pics.

Cheers,

Andre (who visited the Riga museum about five  years back)

Yes. I noted that too. But if I make the left and right 'diagonal' parts longer, the design gets further out of whack. That's why I tried drawing the number(s) over 8x4, 8x5 and 7x4 matrices, but none worked. This number is beating me :mellow:

Rob

Hi,

Sorry for my absence the last few days, Have been busy rebuilding my house on a 1/1 scale :)

I've noticed too that in the first examples the vertical end of the 2 curl was too short. However in your version inbetween the pictures, it was a tad too long. The 6 was also a bit of a weird thing, as the distance of the top curl to the belly of the 6 was to big.

Looking at the take off picture again I noticed that the 6 was not verticaly devided in two but that the line forming the belly came back higher than the middle. As this is rather difficult to discribe this in words, I amused myself with a bit of photoshop and altered your proposal, the top being yours, bottom's mine.

yak28-16-2_1.jpg

Greetings and thanks again for the effort so far!

Tom

Hi, 

I forgot to mention that I made the angle  of the 2 less sharp to Let it end a bit higher at the right side. In your right picture you can see it ends up past the left end of the 2's curl... 

I hope you can use my alterations as I only did a quick repaint from your picture. Contact me if you want me to draw it again in higher resolution or multi layer maybe...

Greetings

I found a bit of fresh inspiration, and the made the upper three segments of the '2' of equal length. Previously I had used a 4-element grid / matrix. I think that improved it a lot. I used the upper 1/3rd of the '2' to draw a new '6', and set the middle horizontal bar a bit higher, like Tom suggested, but not as much. Better I think..

yak28-17.jpg

As a further experiment, I made the right vertical element of the '2' the same length as the upper three elements. But I don't think that this 'logic' worked, the long diagonal drops too low compared to both photos.

yak28-18.jpg

I'm still not happy with it, it looks too skinny compared the the real '26'..

Rob