Ooh...me likey! Some little elf put this kit in my stash a week or so before Christmas - what a beauty! Thank goodness someone bought my old Matchbox kit off of eBay before this kit came out (and they paid about the same amount I had to tip the elf!). 

I'm really looking forward to seeing this go together. Looks really nice so far!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Looking good Paul. it wasn't until Bill mentioned the old Matchbox kit that I remebered there was another Victor kit around (not up my street you understand). OK Airifx, stop stuffing around I and a lot of other modellers would like more helicopter kits, please...

Colin

• Like 1

On 31.12.2016 at 11:53 PM, Navy Bird said:

Some little elf put this kit in my stash a week or so before Christmas - what a beauty!

Where can I catch the little elf? I need a Victor....:D

Very nice built, btw. has woken up my interest in this kit.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Paul, I'm watching with interest. 

I also received one from Santa but mine will have to wait a while, I just can't face another Victor at the moment... I've spent the last 6 months fighting with the Matchbox/Revell Victor K2!

gazza l

A nice little how-to-build-a-Victor thread Paul.  Hopefully you'll save some folks from gnashing their teeth in the future.  The Eduard wheels & masks will be on their way to you on Weds, so you shouldn't have to bother with slightly wibbly-wobbly kit wheels.  I was perusing Chris' kit yesterday, and on a really nice kit, they really do look a bit meh...  Lacking in detail, very slight sink marks around the hub margin (granted that one's on the backside), and generally uninspiring.  I think the Eduard replacements will be a must-have down the line :)

• Like 3

Wise words Mike. I hesitated about getting the Brassin set but then realised that I would be most likely spoiling a £60 kit for a ha'peth of tar. Upon delivery the Eduard parts proved themselves far superior to the kit ones.

Martian

• Like 2

Progress has slowed a little due to the unwelcome intrusion of work and full-blown manbola. The build is still moving along nicely though :) The wing structure is almost complete now. The wing tips have been added, complete with the clear outer section.

victor_016.jpg

victor_017.jpg

The fuselage halves have also been joined and the tail added. The fit is pretty good all round. I think the only filler that will be required will be under the nose radome.

victor_018.jpg

victor_019.jpg

A quick tape together of the fuselage and wing. A fair amount of work has been done to ensure a good fit of these parts.

victor_020.jpg

• Like 22

I am liking your progress and also what I see about the quality of the kit. This is turning into a most useful thread.

Martian

• Like 1

Just for Mike, I've dragged myself from my death bed in order to do some work on the Victor. Having committed to the anti-flash white option, I tidied up the seams in the intake and resprayed it white. The top part has received the same treatment. Once the paint is properly dry, I'll close up the intakes and try and smooth down the remaining seams as far as possible. 

victor_021.jpg

I've also sprayed the main landing gear bays with Mr Metal aluminium. It's the first time I've used these paints and I'm seriously impressed. They do need buffing once dry though, or you'll end up with fine silver residue on your hands. I think a cotton bud might be required to buff the this area properly.

victor_022.jpg

Not pictured are the cockpit and bomb aimer's windows, which have been dunked in clear ready for installation. I might get these on tonight, followed by Eduard's pre-cut paint masks. 

• Like 11

On 31 December 2016 at 9:16 AM, Paul A H said:

Not too much more to show at this stage, other than the underwing tanks and Küchemann carrots which I assembled during an idle moment. These need to be cleaned up prior to being primed and fitted in place.

victor_015.jpg

Paul.

if you are doing an all-white Blue Steel Victor don't bother with the underwing tanks.  These were deleted early after a pair of them fell of a QRA aircraft (XL158) in late '63 due to a design fault.  Bomber Command were quite concerned that there was approximately 8,000lbs of Avtur sloshing around a live Blue Steel filled with HTP.  Underwing tanks were not re-introduced until HP's had corrected the fault, at their expense, around mid '65 and then only slowly.

If you do ever build a camo Blue Steel aircraft and fit underwing tanks, remove the small intake on the underside of the nose.  This was part of the wing group fuel system jettison and only introduced around 1969 on the B.SR.Mk.2's.  Replace the intake on the nose of the tank with a small triangular NACA intake (black decal should do).  A few Blue Steel aircraft had the fuselage group fuel system jettison fitted low down on the port rear fuselage but this does not apply to the all white aircraft of which there were only five and all entered service with 139Sqdn.  Anyway that part is not in the kit.

HTH

Dennis

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the spacing of your posts it looks like this is one of those large projects which is best tackled in stages, interspaced with fatigue breaks. 

I don't have one yet, I think the postage cost to France will be prohibitive so I am waiting for one of my friends who drives regularly to the UK to bring one back for me.

Hope you're fully recovered from the manbola.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Great work. I am in the middle of my first one and am fitting the conventional doors in the open position as Airfix have thoughtfully provided the necessary parts to enable me to do so. I have been unable to find a picture of an Victor thus configured. I have worked out that the doors retract in a similar way to the Canberra but does anyone know if they disappear completely inside the fuselage? Many thanks.