1/48 Westland Scout - FINISHED!

Bell209

Nice work on the undercarriage. I am interested to know what you will be using for the white outlined Australian roundels.

Martian

3 hours ago, Bell209 said:

You've not worked on an Enstrom then? :lol:

No mate, that's why I went to a Wessex squadron (I could have gone to Sea Kings 

but even my standards aren't that low!)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I am interested to know what you will be using for the white outlined Australian roundels.

I was hoping to use the Hawkeye Models set but Peter seems to be having trouble printing these at the moment. My backup plan is a set of white circles of various sizes which will back the Aussie roundels set, both of which I bought a while back. I'll make the unit crest for the nose myself and have some "NAVY" decals which I think will do the job. The "DANGER" decals are yellow or dayglo red (depending on your references) will be problematic as I can't print those as they won't show on a dark background without an Alps printer.

• Like 1

Are there any generic dayglo sheets available?

I thought about finding some to make the little orangey sensors in my Wasp's nose but played round in PSP and got something orange enough

If there's a commercial product I might get some anyway,a chap always needs a few sheets of dayglo around

9 hours ago, Bell209 said:

The "DANGER" decals are yellow or dayglo red (depending on your references) 

Yellow.

N8-101 was repainted in its earlier scheme after its bust up in 1985 and for some unknown reason somebody 

painted the danger warning in the same style as the Pommie army version. Probably looked at the Airfix kit instead of

something like...I dont know.......A PHOTO!

The RANHF has ex British Army XR.603 thats been painted up to look like N8-102, thankfully they got this one right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Steve,

I was hoping you'd know! Same problem, though - I printed the yellow "24V" servicing mark on my Spitfire Tr.9 but it disappeared into the green paint. I may need to print it on white decal paper and carefully cut around it. Being yellow makes it slightly easier as there may be decal sheets around I can make the letters up from.

15 hours ago, perdu said:

I thought about finding some to make the little orangey sensors in my Wasp's nose but played round in PSP and got something orange enough

If there's a commercial product I might get some anyway,a chap always needs a few sheets of dayglo around

yes, sort of, look for an Xtradecal sheet for Meteor TT F8.

Although its mainly for the F8 and 1/72 it has lots of extra dayglow panels for other aircraft on it

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72115

or the 1/48 version

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48160

Last update for a while. We're off on holidays for a few weeks, so they Scout's been put back in the box for now. Here's where I'm at now:

51970097178_0cb599c502_b.jpg

51970028096_29f6900036_b.jpg

Quite enjoying the build now. Still need to add the lateral supports and sprung uprights to the rear crosstube and tidy up the aforementioned brass strips over the clamps before I call the gear done (any ideas on how to represent the compressible cover that goes on the uprights?). It doesn't actually have the tail-down attitude it appears to have in the photos, either.

The tail skid is a modified side antenna from a UH-1H (managed to snap it in half as soon as I fitted it!) and still needs the braces added from sprue. The engine details are underway, too. I want to work on the Main Transmission but need to make and fit the driveshaft first. Quite like the Main Rotor Head as-is but I'll add some Pitch Control Rods and bonding leads as part of the process. I want to droop the arms a little, too, as all the pics I've seen (and Steve's aforementioned low head room comment) show the blades hang quite low when static (no droop stops on these, I assume?).
  • Like 10

Thanks Hendie. That was my initial thought - it'll require a steady hand as the bellows distances are quite small. I'll see if something else comes to mind while we're holidaying.

Maybe wrap suitably thin wire round it, losing the ends at the back next to the fuselage

Stretched sprue or even thin nylon thread

All will give a nicely rippled rubber look if you're 'crafty'

It is looking nice now on skids

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

In case you're wondering - it's been shelved for a few months now. I'm busy doing a course and haven't time or means to advance it at the moment. It will recommence this year, though!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bell209 said:

In case you're wondering - it's been shelved for a few months now. I'm busy doing a course and haven't time or means to advance it at the moment. It will recommence this year, though!

Look forward to seeing that. Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 10:39 AM, perdu said:

Hi Bill, Model Art Decals did some dayglo decal sheet, it might still be available if not let me know,

Colin

• 9 months later...

Not unusual for me to take forever on a kit but this has been languishing for a while now! I've been waiting for two diameters of brass tube for the crosstubes to replace my earlier sprue attempts as they're not holding the weight. In the meantime, I've been convalescing at home this week and finally had time to do something on it:

51970097273_96a595ac5f_b.jpg

I've started adding some detail to the engine and MGB workdeck area. Tomorrow I'll add a couple of other details then paint. There's a heap of wiring/piping to add but I'm not sure if I should do that before attaching the engine or after.

• Like 8

If that engine deck is an easy fit to the upper fuselage piping and wiring off it would be a no-brainer for me

Quite a lot of manipulation did put strain on the other bits of the build, undercart for a start

Im glad you remembered this ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Finally got the second size of brass tube and have made some progress in the last few weeks. Like many of us, I find I'm doing little jobs that take forever to produce very little visual progress. What I've done so far on the engine is this:

51970097388_077472436c_b.jpg

I still have more details to add on the lower part and around the hydraulic service area and Main Transmission. Much more to do on the right side but it does look much better than OOB. The pipes and cables are solder, copper wire and fuse wire painted different colours. The oil cooler intake screen is brass fuel filter mesh. Plastic (sheet and sprue) and brass sheet makes up the rest of the components.

As mentioned earlier, the landing gear crosstubes bothered me as they kept sagging due to the added weight of the details, so I've replaced them with the aforementioned brass tubes. I also had to build the dampers from scratch using brass tube, carbon fibre rod and copper wire wrapped around the rod (apologies for the poor pic).

51970319179_2e048044f4_b.jpg

The end result is acceptable and will look a lot better once tidied up and painted.

51969028272_ef045b8981_b.jpg

• Like 14