1/72 Airfix North American P-51D Mustang

Val

Hi!

My little 'stang!

• Kit manufacture: Airfix
  • Scale: 1/72
  • Type: North American P-51D Mustang
  • Extras used: Scratch seat belts from tape .
  • Paints and colours used: AK Xtreme Metals Aluminium, AK Dark Aluminium, AK Black Base Primer, Tamiya XF-7 flat red, XF-3 flat yellow, XF-85 Rubber black, XF-62 Olive Drab, Vallejo 71.010 Interior Green, various Vallejo colours for hand painting, AK Gauzy Agent, Flory Dark Dirt.

So this is another kit I've been working on for another group build/SIG on another forums. It was all about metal finishes, and as I've never really attempted a true NMF, I thought I'd give the new excellent AK Xtreme Metals a go.

The kit is a fantastic mojo-buster. Fit is generally excellent, detail is good, engraved panel lines are lovely. The only problems I had were a warped landing gear strut, so the wheel had to be superglued to the undercarriage door, and the antenna was so full of flash it was unusable and had to be scratched from plasticard.

I'm fairly pleased with the result of the AK Xtreme Metal and I loved the AK Gauzy agent; self levels a treat and doesn't diminish the metal finish. I did have a problem at times with the AK stuff pealing away with the masking tape despite de-tacking and leaving the paint to dry for a week at a time. However it goes on a treat and looks beautiful.

Comments, tips and feedback as always greatly appreciated.

[fullsizeoutput_1113_zpsjlbkgreg]  

[fullsizeoutput_1114_zps4czvpypr]  

[fullsizeoutput_1115_zpsuv91xeta]  

[fullsizeoutput_1116_zpsqzmtz8bj]  

[fullsizeoutput_1117_zpsoej7mrjn]  [fullsizeoutput_1118_zpsvvxfzxrr]  

[fullsizeoutput_1119_zpsrrmhqb37]  

[fullsizeoutput_111a_zpsd9vmiesc]  

[fullsizeoutput_111b_zpsggyfx1bi]  

[fullsizeoutput_111c_zpsuakyetf5]  

And here are my two latest completions hanging out with each other!

[fullsizeoutput_111d_zpsuzokahuf]  

There we go! Thanks for stopping by.

Have a fantastic Christmas everyone, I hope Santa fills your stockings with plenty of kits!

Val

• Like 40

17 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Superb finish Val. Well done. :thumbsup: cheers Greg

17 hours ago, Basuroy said:

Top class model Val ! Red - aluminium combo looks so lovely :) 

13 hours ago, doozer1974 said:

Beautiful job!

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Fantastic result, the NMF looks superb.

Hard to believe it's in 1/72 scale.

Very well done.

Craig.

12 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Great build mate - looks nice with its opponent.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you all for you kind words!

Merry Christmas all!

val

• Like 4

Hiya Val and Merry Christmas, nice job on the 'stang! I might be alone in thinking the yellow is nicely done, but from your collection of positive comments I know I am not alone in my appreciation of the rest of it.

• Like 1

Very nice Mustang! It turns out in a perfect NMF finish! These AK extreme metals seems to be nice and may be better than Alclad??  Last times I only have problems with these Alclad colours. What do you think Val ? 

A merry Christmas 

Andy 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Superb finish on this one Val,beautiful job.

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Now that is a great NM finish. Even though an off modelled scheme, that finish makes it something special. :thumbsup:

Steve.

13 hours ago, modelglue said:

Hiya Val and Merry Christmas, nice job on the 'stang! I might be alone in thinking the yellow is nicely done, but from your collection of positive comments I know I am not alone in my appreciation of the rest of it.

10 hours ago, spaddad said:

tasty

2 hours ago, BerndM said:

Cracking Mustang !

The finish with this NMF shade is absolutely flawless.

:clap2:

Thanks guys! Glad you like her!

1 hour ago, Andy Dyck said:

Very nice Mustang! It turns out in a perfect NMF finish! These AK extreme metals seems to be nice and may be better than Alclad??  Last times I only have problems with these Alclad colours. What do you think Val ? 

A merry Christmas 

Andy 

Cheers Andy :)

so, I've never used Alclads metal colours but I've got to say the AK paints are very easy to use. I did polish up the kit plastic with micromesh but not sure that's totally nessecary, unlike Alclad. The AK Black Base primer went down very smoothly at around 20psi, and then I just chucked the paint on at around 15psi. They don't seem to mind any air pressure and as long as an area isn't totally flooded, it self-levels a treat, I just put a couple of thin-ish layers down and left it there. The only thing I had issues with was masking. Even detacked Tamiya tape still lifted it places, but touching the paintwork in was easy as you can drop the air pressure down and get in really close. You can't see the touch-ins when they are dry. I'd also so say the AK Guazy Agent Shine Enhancer gloss varnish is excellent and doesn't diminish the metal look at all. I masked up the olive drab panel at the front last of all (after about 3 coats of shine enhancer) and the metal work didn't lift at all.

I've seen Alclad finishes that are every bit as good as AK, but from what I understand they require much more preparation and a lot harder to use. I'd recommend this AK stuff any day :)

val

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Neat looking build.  Hope the undercart isn't going to be a problem, looking rather fragile in your photo.

the undercarriage is the one part of the build that was a genuine problem; one of the legs was majorly warped and I did my best to straighten it out. It's as good as I can get it without it snapping! In fact it's only straight on one side because the wheel is superglued to the door. Hoping it will last, if not I might have to reinforce with some sections with some metal rods.

4 hours ago, Val said:

Thanks guys! Glad you like her!

Cheers Andy :)

so, I've never used Alclads metal colours but I've got to say the AK paints are very easy to use. I did polish up the kit plastic with micromesh but not sure that's totally nessecary, unlike Alclad. The AK Black Base primer went down very smoothly at around 20psi, and then I just chucked the paint on at around 15psi. They don't seem to mind any air pressure and as long as an area isn't totally flooded, it self-levels a treat, I just put a couple of thin-ish layers down and left it there. The only thing I had issues with was masking. Even detacked Tamiya tape still lifted it places, but touching the paintwork in was easy as you can drop the air pressure down and get in really close. You can't see the touch-ins when they are dry. I'd also so say the AK Guazy Agent Shine Enhancer gloss varnish is excellent and doesn't diminish the metal look at all. I masked up the olive drab panel at the front last of all (after about 3 coats of shine enhancer) and the metal work didn't lift at all.

I've seen Alclad finishes that are every bit as good as AK, but from what I understand they require much more preparation and a lot harder to use. I'd recommend this AK stuff any day :)

val

Ok Val .

thx for this detailed information. I am sure to try this AK metals on one of the next projects. As I said it looks fantastic! 

All the best

Andy 

• Like 1