Zvezda Boeing 777-300 "The Hobbit"

My first build of the Zvezda 777.

Its a superb kit with lots of details.The only problem I had was some warped parts.

No idea if this is a common problem with this kit or if I was just "lucky" to get a "monday kit"...I have another one in the stash and and a quick glance it seems ok.

The build itself is pretty straight and the overall fit of the parts is good.

Paints used for this bird are Tamyia Pure White from a spray can,Testors Voodoo Grey for the wings and engines,and Testors metallics.Sealed as usual with Testors metallic sealer and polished with Tamyia Wax.

The decal set for this special livery of Air New Zealand comes from PAS decals.They are very well done and they fit on the model without much trouble.

The only problems are the cabin windows as they tend to disappear on the darker parts of the Hobbit decals.Here I had to use windows from my Doyusha 777-200 kit ( this kit is also up here in the RFI section) as they had silver frames around the windows which makes them better visible.

The finished kit is huge and an impressive size comparison to the classic 747...

Another nice addition to my fleet of special liveries.

Cheers and on with the pics.

20161224_150703_zpsn1bohhvh.jpg

20161224_150717_zpsv2pc38le.jpg

20161224_150737_zpsblvh5oed.jpg

20161224_150750_zps3tpfcyjk.jpg

20161224_150802_zpsuyrbq8cv.jpg

20161224_150812_zpsaolgxduw.jpg

20161224_150835_zpsinkmweim.jpg

20161224_150849_zpssvjbbxjf.jpg

And with my usual critic...Kitty ;)

20161224_150950_zps9mlssjjn.jpg

Merry christmas to everyone...

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 50

Wow! What a stunning model! I have bought a couple of the Revell boxing of this kit to model one EgyptAir and one Emirates version, as I have spent many hours in each in 2016. I will be delighted if they turn out anything like yours (which is highly unlikely because I have never built an airliner!)

• Like 1

Nice model in a cool livery! And done with a great level of skill!

What else to add? Maybe that with each so beautiful civil airliner I see on this forum - I more and more desire to switch from my military production in 1/72 to civil airliners in 1/144...

BTW B777 is indeed an impressive beast. It does look comparable in size to B747 and A380. And it's engines especially as you look at them through the window... If I do it - I would do it in United livery, which I flew three times this year FRA-EWR.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Nice model in a cool livery! And done with a great level of skill!

What else to add? Maybe that with each so beautiful civil airliner I see on this forum - I more and more desire to switch from my military production in 1/72 to civil airliners in 1/144...

BTW B777 is indeed an impressive beast. It does look comparable in size to B747 and A380. And it's engines especially as you look at them through the window... If I do it - I would do it in United livery, which I flew three times this year FRA-EWR.

Thank you very much.

Try it out and build an airliner.Its a most satisfying experience,esp. when they come in such great liveries.

I was also a frequent user of the 777 from various airlines and this type grew on me over the years.I really like the type and its a nice,although not a complete,replacement for the 747 as it is similar in comfort.

When possible I always chose airlines who serve Zurich with Boeings for my trips,as I am not really a fan of the Airbus jets.They always feel less comfortable compared to the Boeings.

17 hours ago, mitchem said:

Wow !

You knocked that one out of the park Alex. Superb finish (as usual) but my jaw is on the floor regarding the size of the engines - they're absolutely enormous !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

and one for the cat

:thumbsup2:

:)

Thank you Mike.

Yes,those engines are indeed huge.They could fit a DC-9 fuselage in it by their diameter.

Standing in front of the 777 when boarding through stairs its most impressive looking up...

Very impressive - the model and the giant cat! ;-)  Great aeroplane and livery! 

:goodjob: 

Frustratingly, I bought the Welsh Models B777-300ER, more than twice price and definitely twice the work :-(  But, great to hear of and see good results with PAS Decals, will definitely be investing in some in the New Year. 

Darren

• Like 1

On 26.12.2016 at 19:27, Darren Rhodes said:

Very impressive - the model and the giant cat! ;-)  Great aeroplane and livery! 

:goodjob: 

Frustratingly, I bought the Welsh Models B777-300ER, more than twice price and definitely twice the work :-(  But, great to hear of and see good results with PAS Decals, will definitely be investing in some in the New Year. 

Darren

Thank you very much Darren.

The PAS decals are nice to work with.Just be aware of the windows on dark areas if you are going to use them.They tend to disappear on dark grounds so I would suggest to use other window decals  instead.

Great job Alex. Really like the B-777, though I rarely see one in the air. We do get Singapore Airlines four times a week in Canberra now, but even so I 've only seen one once.

The decals look superb, and looking on the PAS website they seem to have been printed in one or two huge pieces, so very well done wrangling those onto the fuselage! I did notice one thing about the decals, and I'll get in before one of our New Zealand friends sends you a haka - the flag above the serial is an Australian flag! The two flags are very similar, but the NZ one doesn't have the Federation star under the Union flag, and the stars in the Southern Cross are red with a white surround. F-Dcal do Air New Zealand B-777 decals and they seem to have a correct NZ flag. Expensive way to correct it, but there you go!

This however is from the Department of Nit-picking! Your model is beautiful, and I love the astonished look on your cat's face - "Dad, it's bigger than me!"

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

Great modelling.

Still, I'd call that livery "cultural appropriation" along with everything else that NZ has done with the Tolkien stuff. ;)

Cheers,

GrahamB

• Like 1

On ‎27‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 22:46, bombernut said:

Great job Alex. Really like the B-777, though I rarely see one in the air. We do get Singapore Airlines four times a week in Canberra now, but even so I 've only seen one once.

The decals look superb, and looking on the PAS website they seem to have been printed in one or two huge pieces, so very well done wrangling those onto the fuselage! I did notice one thing about the decals, and I'll get in before one of our New Zealand friends sends you a haka - the flag above the serial is an Australian flag! The two flags are very similar, but the NZ one doesn't have the Federation star under the Union flag, and the stars in the Southern Cross are red with a white surround. F-Dcal do Air New Zealand B-777 decals and they seem to have a correct NZ flag. Expensive way to correct it, but there you go!

This however is from the Department of Nit-picking! Your model is beautiful, and I love the astonished look on your cat's face - "Dad, it's bigger than me!"

Cheers,

Matt

Thank you Matt,also for the notice on the flag.I didn't realize it.I will try and correct it if I find some replacements.I tend of not buying from F-Dcal anymore as this guy,although has great schemes on offer,is not very reliable.I had significant problems and delays on almost every order I placed there.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, ROBOT said:

Hi Alex,

your builds are so immaculate, that's how an airliner model should look like !!

And that livery is crazy-cool!! Like it A LOT !!!

Thx for sharing!

Olli

Thank you Olli,

Its really a cool and unusual livery.I am thinking of doing my other Zvezda 777-300ER with the Hobbit "Smaug" ,the dragon,scheme.