Falklands Sea Harrier - La Muerta Negra

Pappy

51 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Pappy looks like you have changed the SHAR's designation then   From FRS, to FSR :)

my kit kit had the same flashed over holes for the aileron actuators, and I didn't notice. I just trimmed off the  appropriate pin, and yes, mine had gaps too.   I feel a little ashamed, as I should have flagged it up. Soz!!

jonners

Well some times I feel like a field service representative!

All fixed now .  Since your kit have flashed over holes, my two and it looks like Calum's does as well, so I think it would be safe to say it is not an isolated occurrence. How have you ended up dealing with the gap? I was thinking putty,

cheers,

Pappy

3 hours ago, Pappy said:

Well some times I feel like a field service representative!

All fixed now .  Since your kit have flashed over holes, my two and it looks like Calum's does as well, so I think it would be safe to say it is not an isolated occurrence. How have you ended up dealing with the gap? I was thinking putty,

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy I have my ailerons slightly deflected ( theres a motto for life!), so I actually bent them a tad to match the small deflection angles, which resulted in two breaking - conveniently at the right place, and the other two I then score to break, so the gap was minimised as the bits sat on each surface - there a wee step of course between the bits, but I took a view of live & let live with that.

Perhaps a skim of thin plastic card under yours trimmed to shape would do the trick?

Jonners

You asked a few posts ago whether I had a WIP - NO - I meant to do one but Im so far along now I'm not sure it would do any good. happy to post some pics in a "WIP-ette" though if that  would be of interest?

I wonder what a SHAR would have looked like in RAN markings?  Imagining the high viz A4 scheme like the 805 sqn 2 tone greys....

1 hour ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi Pappy I have my ailerons slightly deflected ( theres a motto for life!), so I actually bent them a tad to match the small deflection angles, which resulted in two breaking - conveniently at the right place, and the other two I then score to break, so the gap was minimised as the bits sat on each surface - there a wee step of course between the bits, but I took a view of live & let live with that.

Perhaps a skim of thin plastic card under yours trimmed to shape would do the trick?

Jonners

You asked a few posts ago whether I had a WIP - NO - I meant to do one but Im so far along now I'm not sure it would do any good. happy to post some pics in a "WIP-ette" though if that  would be of interest?

I wonder what a SHAR would have looked like in RAN markings?  Imagining the high viz A4 scheme like the 805 sqn 2 tone greys....

Wot, like this you mean?

http://ontheroger.proboards.com/thread/5040/aussie-sea-harrier

If you are aware of any pitfalls I am yet to encounter, sure post away.

Incidentally, have you fitted your engine nozzles yet? I was wondering how these will fit as they need to fit over the nozzle mechanism bits that stick out of the holes, but the fuselage section that they nestle into will be a tight squeeze, and they need to align with a keyway as well, plus you get to do that with the wing in place, so even less room to move.All up, it seems like a lot of malarkey just to have 'moveable' engine nozzles which I am not a fan of anyway. I think I will remove the internal mech and just glue the nozzles in place at the end of the build.,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Wot, like this you mean?

Incidentally, have you fitted your engine nozzles yet? I was wondering how these will fit as they need to fit over the nozzle mechanism bits that stick out of the holes, but the fuselage section that they nestle into will be a tight squeeze, and they need to align with a keyway as well, plus you get to do that with the wing in place, so even less room to move.All up, it seems like a lot of malarkey just to have 'moveable' engine nozzles which I am not a fan of anyway. I think I will remove the internal mech and just glue the nozzles in place at the end of the build.,

cheers,

Pappy

Yep - exactly like that - pretty cool!!

The nozzles will push fit but it's tight - I found that if I angled the attachments so they pointed down it was easier to snap the nozzles in ( but once they are in, they are IN!).  Only other thing I can think of is if you are going to have your flaps down, then I found the lugs don't really give you enough down angle- so it might be worth a check.

cheers

jonners

2 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Yep - exactly like that - pretty cool!!

The nozzles will push fit but it's tight - I found that if I angled the attachments so they pointed down it was easier to snap the nozzles in ( but once they are in, they are IN!).  Only other thing I can think of is if you are going to have your flaps down, then I found the lugs don't really give you enough down angle- so it might be worth a check.

cheers

jonners

Thanks Jonners,

That is pretty much what I suspected. Before the mech was installed, my test fitting of the engine nozzles allowed me to position the nozzles pretty easily. I don't want to take the risk of damaging the paint on the nozzles so I will just glue them in a set position. My flaps will also be streamlined so that will not be an issue.

Incidentally, does anyone know what colour the outrigger wheel bay interior should be for a all over EDSG (Falklands ) jet?

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy -  outrigger bay interior colour would be good to know too ( I'm guessing white - like the originals - too much working stuff in there to brush paint surely!)

Meanwhile - heres my go at the ADU-299/LAU-7 combo, using the kit adaptor, some plastic card and a bit of elbow grease.

D85B5551-67FD-439B-A7F5-231F17F57536_zps

cheers

Jonners

• Like 2

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:06 PM, Pappy said:

The kit features a panel in front of the windshield that is shaped like an air inlet. Upon checking the refs, yup, there should be an inlet scoop here which the instructions neglect to mention. The good news is that this part (well at least what I think part E13 is for) is included on the E sprue. Part E13 is not mentioned anywhere else in the instructions but it corresponds perfectly to the 'panel' shape so I cleaned this part up and added it to the nose.

DSCN3970_zpsebmbybhh.jpg

:lol: G'day, Pappy!

Funny thing is that this inlet scoop does show on the top-view paintin' instructions... :hypnotised:

Doin' a marvelous work on yer SHar

Cheers,

Unc2

3 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:lol: G'day, Pappy!

Funny thing is that this inlet scoop does show on the top-view paintin' instructions... :hypnotised:

Doin' a marvelous work on yer SHar

Cheers,

Unc2

G'day Uncle,

Yes and no. The painting instructions show a panel outline that the part sits on, but as I mentioned, the instructions do not mention that Part E13 needs to be added,

cheers,

Pappy

:blink: Oh? Then again, on the side-view paintin' instructions sheet I've also noticed a couple of exhaust hole-like under the horizontal stabs, which look kinda as though the SHar would have a pair of eyes on the tail, but there's nuthin' etched on 'em styrene. D'ya happen to know whut these might be...?

Me's puzzled, y'know?

Yeh, me is.

2 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi Pappy -  outrigger bay interior colour would be good to know too ( I'm guessing white - like the originals - too much working stuff in there to brush paint surely!)

Meanwhile - heres my go at the ADU-299/LAU-7 combo, using the kit adaptor, some plastic card and a bit of elbow grease.

D85B5551-67FD-439B-A7F5-231F17F57536_zps

cheers

Jonners

G'day Jonners,

Nicely done, I wish I had done that on mine,

cheers,

Pappy

10 hours ago, Pappy said:

Wot, like this you mean?

cheers,

Pappy

Cool I like the AV8Bs and those two new gash barges the RAN have do have ramps .

Perhaps they could do a deal on the old NSW a/c in the boneyard

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:blink: Oh? Then again, on the side-view paintin' instructions sheet I've also noticed a couple of exhaust hole-like under the horizontal stabs, which look kinda as though the SHar would have a pair of eyes on the tail, but there's nuthin' etched on 'em styrene. D'ya happen to know whut these might be...?

Me's puzzled, y'know?

Yeh, me is.

If it's what I think you are on about they are exhausts for the rear avionics bay I seem to recall

6 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

<snip>

cheers

Jonners

Jonners, the picture you posted looks virtually identical to the combination that is included with the Fujimi 1:72 scale kit that I'm building. Thanks for posting this!   :)

Pappy, your work so far is beautiful. You have a great eye for detail, and I'm really enjoying watching you build this kit. I've learned a lot - keep it coming!   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

If it's what I think you are on about they are exhausts for the rear avionics bay I seem to recall

I can't understand him either, it is like he is possessed by Jar Jar Binks!

Pappy

• Like 2

G'day people,

Watershed moment today, the main wing is on - tadaaah

DSCN4015_zpslxvbupvt.jpg

I added some .005" shims to the aft shelf the the wing trailing edge sits on as these sat a tad low. I will need a little filer where the wing centre section meets the aft fuselage but that was down to me. The wing underside was not too bad for the right wing

DSCN4014_zpsu2uhdtpa.jpg

But I cannot say the same for the other side,

DSCN4013_zpsi5tmk7wo.jpg

It was worse before I got some CA into the joint whilst spreading the fuselage apart through one of the engine nozzle openings. Perhaps I should have used some sort of fuselage spreader before attaching the wing.

This kit is still fighting back..........................

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

15 hours ago, junglierating said:

Thanks! But they ain't present on 'em plastic, are 'em?

12 hours ago, Pappy said:

:crying:Ouch... Me's hurt, y'know? Quite likely that me's gonna start wither down 'n' die, ne'er to come back post on 'em thread, ya hear?

Nay nice, mista; nay nice. Things that y'say 'n' do... nay nice, Papps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Thanks! But they ain't present on 'em plastic, are 'em?

:crying:Ouch... Me's hurt, y'know? Quite likely that me's gonna start wither down 'n' die, ne'er to come back post on 'em thread, ya hear?

Nay nice, mista; nay nice. Things that y'say 'n' do... nay nice, Papps.

About 4:30 I should think

Pappy - I add this as a thought. The nose probe.  I duffed mine up so had to rebuild it- however - I do wonder if the kit bit doesn't quite get it right.  The rear edge fairs into the upper front fuselage with what I'll call a pen nib profile - the kit bit has a flat rear edge. Also the fairing goes back a little further.

Here the pic of my re-build

FB1CBA5E-E2FF-45DB-8477-76CDB62A8C84_zps

Im adding this now in case you think its worth doing anything about it ( I spent 2 hours looking at pics, and mines still not perfect)

And while I'm here - heres my canopy, inspired, rather than a slave, to accuracy

52958C3A-FB8C-4BF3-8750-842B4E188C20_zps

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Pappy - I add this as a thought. The nose probe.  I duffed mine up so had to rebuild it- however - I do wonder if the kit bit doesn't quite get it right.  The rear edge fairs into the upper front fuselage with what I'll call a pen nib profile - the kit bit has a flat rear edge. Also the fairing goes back a little further.

Here the pic of my re-build

FB1CBA5E-E2FF-45DB-8477-76CDB62A8C84_zps

Im adding this now in case you think its worth doing anything about it ( I spent 2 hours looking at pics, and mines still not perfect)

And while I'm here - heres my canopy, inspired, rather than a slave, to accuracy

52958C3A-FB8C-4BF3-8750-842B4E188C20_zps

G'day Jonners,

Good catch with the pitot probe, I may revisit mine. I like your canopy frame, the MDCC control box cover looks a better size than the PE part I used which is too big,

cheers,

Pappy

On 7 de janeiro de 2017 at 11:58 PM, Pappy said:

Pappy

Hahahahahaha!!!

28 minutes ago, LT Motta said:

Hahahahahaha!!!

:crying:Boo-hoo-hoo... (aw, me still hurts). Thought ya 'Zillians were cool fellas, y'know. How can ye laugh 'bout it? Oh, woe is me... oh...

Incidentally; is this goin' to be Nigel Sharkey Ward's mount? This be the second time me's asked. Ya be payin' more attention 'n' mockin' me less, Papps, bloke. ;) 

• Like 2

I put some of the above into Bing translate (from Gobbledygook to English) and got something like:

"I am somewhat offended. <untranslatable>. For the second time of asking, are you modelling the aircraft associated with Sharkey Ward? <untranslatable>". :winkgrin:

@Uncle: I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that English is not your 1st language and must admire your enthusiasm but I for one would probably find it easier to understand if you wrote in Spanish (a language in which I recognise maybe 10 words). I fear that your attempt to start a new language based loosely on English is having limited success in this thread... Those bits of your posts that I can work out seem to demonstrate a great attention to detail.

Kirk

• Like 1