1/144 Airbus A350-900 Cathay Pacific

Hi folks I have built quite a few 1/144 airliners over the years with varying degrees of success, but I severely lost my mojo for building them. 

I've had this kit in the stash for well over a year now, so I thought why not get back into building them and here's the result.

9D6225E1-9FA0-4716-B17F-27E6F6BBAE26_zps

205E07EE-E116-488E-8465-4BD5362F6377_zps

6E689E96-5670-4D4A-8DAB-EB81020BE2F4_zps

C3B6F63A-590F-4627-A213-1E5751BCDEF4_zps

2B96145E-7B03-46A8-971F-E1F72CFEE861_zps

• Like 22

Well, I think your mojo is well and truly restored! Don't particularly like the aeroplane but the model is gorgeous!

I love your engines. Was the spiral difficult? Which colour did you use for the fan blades?

Any plans for more airliners? I hope so!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Cheers guys, again the comments are very much appreciated. Ian the spirals were part of the kit. They are such a pain to conform to the shape of the cone, so what I did with this one, was to get a brand new scalpel blade, and careful under a magnifiying glass cut round and into the swirl, so when I laid it on it conformed to the shape almost straight away. If you blow into the engines the blades turn, which I think is quite cool.

For the metallics I used Vallejo Metal Color paints, which I thin to about a 70-30 mix with Tamiya X20A. The colour on the blades if I remember rightly was their Magnesium, and the colour on the leading edge of the engines and wings is their Duraluminium colour.

I used to spray the Vallejo Metal Colours neet, however I was having real problems with them, I then thinned them to the 70% Paint to 30% Thinners and AB at a low air pressure and since then I've had no problems. Just remember thin coats, don't flood the area.

I then coated the full plane with the new USA Johnston's/Pledge formula. 

Also the white on the plane is Tamiya's X2 Gloss white, and thinned with Mr Color Self Leveling Thinners, which even without the Kleer coat gave a brilliant shine.

One more thing after the last coat of the new Kleer, I dripped small amounts of Microscale's Kristal Clear in the window frames, if you look closely you can just about see the reflections.

I've got several more in the pipeline. Ive got the Revell Tupolev (Russian Concorde, I forget the model), Revell Airbus A320 Etihad, Revell Embraer, and a Boeing 737-800 with the sweetie bear on it. 

I normally have two builds on the go at any one time, so I'm going to build a car or bike, and an aircraft at the same time. 

Anyway again thanks for the comments guys

Cheers

Edited by Flipper
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

What a wonderful model and a stunning finish:clap2:

Out of interest what colour did you use for the grey?  I tried to match CX grey on an A330 years ago and never got it right but yours looks spot on.

Cheers guys your comments are very much appreciated and I'm glad I've got my mojo back for them, hopefully I don't loose it with my next build.

I know it looks like I painted the bottom half grey, but other than the blueish strip all the plane is white, there's no grey on the underside.

Wow Flipper that turned out great! The A-350 looks stunning in The Cathay Pacific markings. Im still only about a week off of getting some paint on my Qatar A-350. Hopefully it comes out half as nice as this.

• Like 1

The A350, especially the cockpit windows are still growing on me, but that is very nicely done! :thumbsup: 

Just got some Mr Colour Levelling Thinner to try with Tamiya acrylics after seeing many recommendations - after seeing this, tempted to try Tamiya X2 white on my next build, thank you. 

Darren

• Like 1

On 26/12/2016 at 4:04 AM, wanthony said:

Nicely done, especially the paint job! One little thing I noticed is that it seems you mounted the little exhausts under the engine backwards. The pointed end should be facing aft: http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/164/164014_big.jpg

Cheers again folks your comments are very much appreciated.

Anthony I've just checked the pics I took of an A350 and your right, they should be round the other way.

Typically with Revell though they have it wrong in the instructions. I do know better than to trust them.

Its an easy fix as they are just PVA'd in.

142C4707-6C60-4FF4-A630-F78F0667AF66_zps

Edited by Flipper