SSW R1 1/72 Scratch Build

pheonix

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Ian, J-W,  Nick, Adrian and OM for the very encouraging remarks - I greatly appreciate them especially from modellers with your skills.

I have now completed the painting. I used Humbrol enamels - a mix of clear doped linen (103) with natural wood (94) in a ratio of 3:2. The DatatFile suggests grey as a colour but I have my doubts - personally I think that natural linen would have been more likely but who can tell from monochrome photos? In any event it took three coats as the first two were too streaky: I thinned the paint for the third and managed to get a much better finish. The white squares are for the crosses (which I have printed but not put on yet), and I have still to paint the radiators (dark grey) and top of the engine cover (anti-glare black). I also am showing a close up of the front struts with the propellor mounts in place as these were not ready for the last post.

33227844602_be735a41ef_c.jpg

33227852372_c7fc223ed7_c.jpg

33227849552_1825f8fb60_c.jpg

The next step will be to put on the markings, undercarriage and other details to finish it.

P

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Hendie and Ian for the kind remarks.

After returning from my travels I have finally managed to complete the model: it has taken longer than expected mainly because of the fiddly nature of the tail unit and some of the other smaller parts.

I started with the main undercarriage - I used 60 thou rod and the wheels which I had already made.

32569351903_fe666f34ee_c.jpg

32874811313_ee33448b55_c.jpg

The tail unit was next. First to be fitted was the central rudder followed by the small elevators which were mounted on a pin which passed through the forward part of the central rudder. Last the smaller rudders were put into place. The vertical join bars between the elevators were from 10 x 20 thou card.

32874827443_352d788062_c.jpg

Other details were the tail-wheels, the reinforcing struts behind the gear mechanisms for the propellors, the wing elevators, and a small triangular structure by the cockpit. I am not sure what this was for but from photos it seem to have been a mounting for an anemometer - an early form of air speed indicator. I also completed the painting of the engine cover and radiators. I rigged it with rolled copper wire as per usual, but in fact this machine had double wires which were bound with linen to reduce drag. However when I tried to simulate the latter with thin strips of card the result looked awful so I resorted to wire even though this is not quite accurate. I will post pictures of the completed model in the ready gor inspection section shortly.

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 4

Beautifully done! I may have to rethink the rigging for the Muromets as I was planning on the same method for the double/triple wires.....thanks for the heads up!

Ian 

• Like 2

Looking good, very good P. i do like someone who is prepared to give scratchbuilding a go. It really isn't that difficult if you have a set of drawings/plans and some good reference.

Colin