HMS Hood question.

Head in the clouds.

Hello folks.

I have in my stash the 1/350 model of HMS Hood and have bought a lot of extra goodies to improve the model, however, I learned this year that my Great Uncle was one of only 3 crew members to  serve on HMS Hood from launch to sad demise in 1941 and as such I would like to model her when his time on board was happier, maybe late 20's/30's. I am aware of the HMS Hood website as an excellent rescource but is it possible to backdate the Trumpeter model to these dates and are there any after market items to help me on my way?

I have a feeling this may be a big undertaking so will not be starting yet but I would like to gather as much research material as possible .

Many thanks in advance.

Gary.

• Like 1

That's a reasonable but commendable task. May I ask which survivor was your Great Uncle? I have a huge fondness for Hood. She was a truely beautiful ship.

As for backdating, most of the aftermarket detail sets are aimed at 1941 fit, but Gold Medal Models make a pair of PE sets, the second of which contains some of the backdating parts you'll need including the catapult etc

http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gms350-37A.htm

Please consider a build thread, and don't be afraid to ask Frank Allen for help - he's an extremely helpful man, as is Evert-Jan Foeth - the pair of them are regulars on modelwarships.com

Best regards,

Jamie

Shapeways has several offerings, specifically the 5.5" gunhouses, available complete with barrels, or you can use your own barrels.  It would be a major project, because the shelter deck is completely different.  I queried about creating a new deck via the 3D printing process, but was informed that it would cost in the neighborhood of $600.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P6QDPJEJG/1-200-scale-rn-5-5-gun?optionId=60853938

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XDFQK4JWT/1-200-hms-hood-5-5-quot-mk-1-gun-set?optionId=61353235

16 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

May I ask which survivor was your Great Uncle?

Alas Jamie he was not a survivor, he was Chief Stoker and as such stood no chance when Hood was hit, his name was Harry Watson, the namesake of my father , Harry is on the right, seated.,https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KYKjAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PT175&dq=chief stoker Harry Watson&pg=PT175#v=onepage&q=chief stoker Harry Watson&f=false

As a Double Bottom Chief Stoker he probably new the ship better than almost anyone as his position took him into all the nooks and crannies for inspection purposes  where no one else would ever go.

I think you read a little in haste Jamie although 3 is the common denominator here, 3 survivors and 3 life long crew members of which Harry was one, hence my desire to model HMS Hood in happier times.

Thanks Goofyfoot and Davepb for your reply, most helpful, however I will only attempt this rather large task when I feel my young modelling skills will match my expectations of what I want the end result to look like, after all, it will be my own little memorial to just one of the many whom paid the ultimate price in WWII. Hopefully by then I will have done a few WIP builds and will be comfortable enough to do a WIP on this personal subject.

• Like 2

Hello Gary,

I did read in haste! My apologies. That's a wonderful career on a wonderful ship.

HMS Hood looked absolutely resplendant in 507C on the foreign tours she undertook. The 1920s and 30s were probably the finest from a visible point of view.

No worries Jamie.

Yes, your correct, they were the best years of HMS Hood and this was apparent after a chance meeting on a cruise this year when I met the son of a sailor whom had served on HMS Hood during the 30's and was taken off HMS Hood to serve in the Norwegian campaign, he was also a Chief Stoker and as such in all probability new Harry well, he told me of stories when they were in America, New York i think, out drinking, he painted a picture of a very happy and proud ship.

Needless to say that chance encounter made my year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/12/2016 at 10:44, Head in the clouds. said:

Alas Jamie he was not a survivor, he was Chief Stoker and as such stood no chance when Hood was hit, his name was Harry Watson, the namesake of my father , Harry is on the right, seated.,https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KYKjAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PT175&dq=chief stoker Harry Watson&pg=PT175#v=onepage&q=chief stoker Harry Watson&f=false

As a Double Bottom Chief Stoker he probably new the ship better than almost anyone as his position took him into all the nooks and crannies for inspection purposes  where no one else would ever go.

I think you read a little in haste Jamie although 3 is the common denominator here, 3 survivors and 3 life long crew members of which Harry was one, hence my desire to model HMS Hood in happier times.

Thanks Goofyfoot and Davepb for your reply, most helpful, however I will only attempt this rather large task when I feel my young modelling skills will match my expectations of what I want the end result to look like, after all, it will be my own little memorial to just one of the many whom paid the ultimate price in WWII. Hopefully by then I will have done a few WIP builds and will be comfortable enough to do a WIP on this personal subject.

My great uncle was also lead stocker on Hood. Harry Williamson. 

Hello 'Jon the Viking' and welcome to the site. Like so many men on HMS Hood your Great Uncle Harry was a young man lost so tragically that day, even though it is only70 odd years since the end of WWII information is scarce on my Great Uncle, are you lucky enough to have lots of information and pictures of Harry?

I would also imagine that the two Harry's new each other even if they were on opposing shifts, there were about 230 or so Stokers of different ranks on board HMS Hood, I would at least like to thing they did.

How strange also that after all this time we should meet on this forum talking about this subject having this connection, that is the second time in a year.

Kindest regards

Gary.

• Like 1

The only real information we have on him came from the hms hood website he was only 20 when he lost his life and was an only child there are some family photos of him with our family but I haven't seen them for a few years. My great grandad had some fond stories too but sadly he passed away and we lost touch with his brothers family. It's strange I used to love to make models and by chance it came up at work yesterday and the lad I was talking to showed me this forum and some of his builds. I've got an HMS Hood kit to build that my father in law bought me when we were researching my relatives past. I've never had the time to start it but I think I've caught the bug again so was looking for some ideas on here when I came across your post. Was a nice coincidence. 

1 minute ago, Jon the Viking said:

Was a nice coincidence. 

Certainly was.

I too have a kit of HMS Hood, the Trumpeter 1/350 with enough after market items to build a fleet of Hoods but I do not want to start the build until my skills in modelling reach a more consistent level, plus I am looking into back dating it to the 20's and with no conversion set it will be all toil and sweat with scratchbuilding.

One thing I do know is that we should cherish our families and the memories they hold, it is easy to think thy will always be there.

I hope you visit the forum often as it is a good source of info and the people are top notch, we sometimes have tables at shows which allows us to meet each other members.

I look forward to seeing some of your builds too.

Gary

• Like 1

With a 10 year break I have a feeling I'll be a tad rusty! I might start with some basic builds to practice on before I tackle the Hood. I haven't got the skills to scratch build yet, again something I'll practice with. It's really nice to find a forum of like minded people and looking forward to learning from you guys. 

Jon 

• Like 1

I built my 1/350 Hood as she was on the Empire Cruise 1923/4 I have a few pics of it here and the build thread is in my Sig

Edited by AndyP
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AndyP said:

I built my 1/350 Hood as she was on the Empire Cruise 1923/4 I have a few pics of it here and the build thread is in my Sig

HI Andy, thanks for the heads up, that will be a great resource for me when I decide to start although I may beat your time spent on this model by a country mile, my build speed is slower than a Thames Tug.

Regards

Gary

• Like 1