Sea king has 2

skiny

Hi gents , Is there any real issues with the airfix 1/72 sea king.Looked through the forums and everybody seems to have went down the long route, mine is going to be striaght outa the box but a different color scheme.Any help would be greatfully recieved.

The new kit is lovely except for it being rivet bald, usually found in their starter kit format with paints glue and a brush

The older kit has very poor cockpit transparencies with the lower framing bar slightly thicker than it ought to be

Lots of rivets though but a less well thought out build

Not bad for a kit out of the late sixties/early seventies

The thing I've got against the new Airfix Sea Kings, both the HAR.3 and HC.4, is the way the louvres on the air filter are represented by transfers.  Much prefer how Revell did it but I'm not sure the Revell parts can be readily used on the Airfix kit.  You can alternatively use the earlier "barn door" intake guard, present in all Airfix boxings but not necessarily marked for use.

Edited by Seahawk

Might some confusion here, I don't think Airfix have issued a Sea King HAS.2, but they have issued a recent AEW.2 kit

This is based on the old classic Sea King kit, but with some new parts added.  The kit was fine for it's day (1960s/70s) but has been re-issued to death and some parts have inevitably suffered.

The new HAR.3 (ref no AS55307, not the classic HAR.3 kit) and HC.4 Sea King kits are a different league and are new technology molds.

Personally I'm a fan of the Revell kit, but arguments for and against both kits.