Panzer IV help

Thud4444

My youngest is ready to step up from Gundam kits into another genre.  Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, he wants to build AFVs. ...... 

I've only built a few tanks, so could anyone help me out? Which of the 1/35 scale Panzer IVs would be the best for a first time builder?  We have the monogram kit available here readily,  is it alright? 

Agreed on the Monogram kit. I built some when they were still somewhat new (1970s) and built one again recently. For a first armor kit it has a couple of things going for it: fairly inexpensive; and it builds easily. It does have a small amount of flash, but can be cleaned up easily and is still a good skill to learn. It may not be the most accurate of kits, but in the end it looks like a Panzer IV.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  We are gonna pick up a Monogram Panzer  Tuesday. 

He's only ever built Gundam kits so he has no idea what flash even is! But he's gotten really good at sanding spruce connector nubs so I think he is up for it. I just didn't want him to pick a super difficult kit and get discouraged. 

After he's done we will get a different Panzer IV from Tamiya to build together.  So he can see the difference in detail. 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1