AIRCRAFT DIORAMAS AND AIRFIELD BUILDINGS, VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT

On 2/1/2017 at 2:32 PM, adey m said:

Hi Ian, that is a super 815/40 control tower of yours.

You must have been visiting airfields for quite some time like myself as both Elsham and Goxhill towers have gone now.............

On Freeview 61 on the TV at the moment they are rerunning the Avengers series from the 1960s. Watch out for the episode about a deserted RAF station......it is RAF Bovingdon and they film all over the airfield including inside and on the 815/40 control tower.

regards, Adrian

Adey, hey, great thread you have going here. Very interesting subject matter, and entertaining.

Regarding the above post, you'll be happy to know (and as up on this subject as you obviously are I'm guessin you do...) that the Goxhill tower was purchased by a gentleman here in the U.S. at Virginia's Military Aviation Museum and they have rebuilt it on site and are in the process of out fitting it as it appeared during WWII. Each May they hold their WWII Warbird airshow and the tower serves us with media credentials as a great perch for taking photos. One notable feature to me is, for this type of tower, why are the railings on the roof so short? They seem to be only about 3-4 feet high? I'm always keeping an eye on my footing when up there hanging over the edge shooting photos!

At any rate, on my last visit in May the exterior of the tower was just about complete, much of the interior rooms painted, and plumbing installed. They are searching for authentic items and equipment to finish the out fitting.

attached is a photo I shot from one of the interior rooms, and an older photo from about last year just after the main structure was completed;

DSC_0027_zpsmmcqvsma.jpg

590cc608a6abd.image_zpsftm1xjco.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Adey 

I just caught up with this thread, absolutely spellbinding, too many of my favourite aircraft to choose one above any of the others.

Great rescue on the Fiat BR20, all to rarely seen.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 26/06/2017 at 20:13, Andrew White said:

Adey, hey, great thread you have going here. Very interesting subject matter, and entertaining.

Regarding the above post, you'll be happy to know (and as up on this subject as you obviously are I'm guessin you do...) that the Goxhill tower was purchased by a gentleman here in the U.S. at Virginia's Military Aviation Museum and they have rebuilt it on site and are in the process of out fitting it as it appeared during WWII. Each May they hold their WWII Warbird airshow and the tower serves us with media credentials as a great perch for taking photos. One notable feature to me is, for this type of tower, why are the railings on the roof so short? They seem to be only about 3-4 feet high? I'm always keeping an eye on my footing when up there hanging over the edge shooting photos!

At any rate, on my last visit in May the exterior of the tower was just about complete, much of the interior rooms painted, and plumbing installed. They are searching for authentic items and equipment to finish the out fitting.

attached is a photo I shot from one of the interior rooms, and an older photo from about last year just after the main structure was completed;

DSC_0027_zpsmmcqvsma.jpg

590cc608a6abd.image_zpsftm1xjco.jpg

Hi there Andrew

thank you for the info and photos regarding the Goxhill tower, I am pleased to see that it has been preserved in a way fitting of its history.

I saw a number of 815/40 towers that were still in situ back in the early 1980s which have now gone........Goxhill, Elsham Wolds and Holme on Spalding Moor to name some.

The tower at Elsham Wolds stood alongside the newly built Humber Bridge A15 and was being lived in at the time......it even had a chimney built on the roof.

To save on scarce materials during the war some of the 815/40 towers had wooden floors instead of concrete.

And two 815/40s were built entirely of wood construction........the ones at St Eval and Wick.............the one at Wick airport in Scotland still survives.

There is some fascinating footage on the Pathe News website of the Duke of Edinburgh inside the tower and on the balcony while visiting RAF St Eval in the 1950s.

Needless to say he did not fall over the railings..................even though he was quite tall for the time

Adrian 

• Like 1

The all Wooden one at Jurby still exists I believe.

I worked on site at Goxhill for several months from a porta-cabin and my job was to photograph everything and draw up plans of the remaining buildings as well as seek out details of those that were no longer there.

To my dismay, and about 30 other employees working for the company, the chairman is believed to have used the money sent from the States on other 'projects' rather than actively purchase the whole Goxhill site with a view of having an aviation museum, at what at the time, was probably the best preserved wartime airfield used by the Americans.

I got some good aerial photos of the site as well. 

Such a shame its been 'knocked about' and the runways have all but disappeared.

Oh well . . . .

Ian

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

1/72 HASEGAWA BOEING B-47E STRATOJET

resized_60ca2389-d2c2-4a02-935b-1340ad8f

resized_4b3cd24a-e2ef-4c83-8b4a-6705a00a

My recently built Hasegawa B-47E Stratojet. Scratchbuilt power trolley.  In the background is my 1/144 Boeing WB-50D.

Adey

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Lovely result on the B-47 and it's great to see this topic again - my most favourite thread on BM, some fab looking builds and dio's within these pages.  Great work Adey.

Phil

• Like 1

resized_d434366f-c78c-4893-84cd-3f2fce7f

A F-89J Scorpion taxies past a B-47E Stratojet. In the distance is a WB-50D Weatherfortress.

This F-89J retains the wing tip rocket pods and also carries two Genie air to air missiles with nuclear warheads. It also has the runway barrier arrestor hooks under the fuselage which were fitted to Scorpions later during their service.

Revell 1/72 Scorpion, Hasegawa 1/72 Stratojet and Minicraft 1/144 WB-50D conversion.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

resized_65c83df5-3712-4a76-8607-f4b85072

resized_fa856a49-d819-4517-ae0b-051282bc

1/72 B-47E Stratojet rocket-assisted take-off diorama by Tony Clayton of Diaerama Magazine which I photographed at Scale Modelworld in2017.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 6

Hello,Adrian - It was a pleasure to meet you again at Huddersfield Show.My full compliments to you on your superb looking ‘B-47’.You’ve worked your magic on another truly classic kit.Great work indeed.

All The Best,Paul.😉👍

• Like 1

1/72 Supermarine Southampton  ( Blackbird Models )

resized_c4c52c07-4655-4988-8fc3-7f77d0d1

resized_7ba8493e-465e-492f-8518-5894313a

resized_33424541-014c-4bbb-9da1-2501010c

1/72 scale Blackbird Models Supermarine Southampton seen at Sword and Lance, Darlington in 2017

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Adrian, just been through the whole of this thread, hats off to you, some superb modelling and well done.

I now see your true obsession!

• Like 1

Behind the tower is a brick/earth bank blast shelter.

airfield319.jpg

At the hangar, the Station Hack C-47 transport plane is unloading some cargo, but appears to have had a problem with the port engine. Mechanics are already starting work to sort the problem.

airfield320.jpg

airfield321.jpg

• Thanks 1

At the other end of the hangar, there are piles of crates. So much material and spares arrived in wooden crates, there were often piles of boxes seen around the tech site. These boxes were often recycled to make shelters around the dispersals, work benches or even just burned in the wood burning stoves in barracks. Cold was always a problem in the temporary accomodation on airfields.

airfield322.jpg

airfield323.jpg

airfield324.jpg

• Like 1

Out on the airfield, an RAF Lancaster dropped in to the US airfield for an emergency landing where the left gear collapsed on landing. The fire crew damp down the smouldering engine ( fitted with a smoke unit under the bench ), while the RAF crew head to a near by Dodge ambulance.

airfield337.jpg

airfield339.jpg

airfield329.jpg

A view along the dispersals towards the runway.

airfield340.jpg

• Like 1