This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Red Dot

Academy 1/48 MH-53 Sea Dragon

Red Dot    603
14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Blimey that is looking fantastic Andy!

As you say it really is unusual to see anything but a clean Japanese aircraft and it makes for a very interesting subject. You are doing a cracking job mate and I can't wait to see her in the flesh.

cheers Craig, it will be at the club on Friday, but you won't if I remember correctly. One day..............

andy

Red Dot    603
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great work! As MM already said, a dirty Japanse aircraft!

Not sue what panels are cleaned...

Loks a bit random ;)

cheers ex-Draken. Most of the panels are for engine access or emergency exits, but I don't know why the sponsons are partly cleaned.

It's interesting to see that the exits over the rear of the sponsons aren't cleaned as the dirt doesn't go that far forwards from the engines. Very efficient these Japanese, why waste time?!

andy

Edited by Red Dot

modelling minion    3,292
19 hours ago, Red Dot said:

, but you won't if I remember correctly.

Ah, but I have booked a well deserved couple of days off and have got a pass for Friday night!

So I will see you and your MH-53 then.

Red Dot    603

good stuff Craig, Looking forward to it

andy

Red Dot    603

At the risk of sounding like Dixon of Dock Green, evening all!

I've been working away on the Sea Dragon and have now finished the fuselage by adding lots of small details based on what i found on the many walkaround photos. These include grab handles, aerials, lights, wiring and yet more weathering based on the pictures. The fiddliest bits were adding the partly open front windows but at last it's all done.

The last part i have to do now is the tail rotor assembly but it feels like i have to start all over again as it needs riveting, scribing, etched grilles adding plus some scratch-building of gearboxes inside the tail itself. Then painting and weathering!

Anyway, to the pictures so far.........

AX9_O7738.jpg

AX9_O7740.jpg

AX9_O7742.jpg

AX9_O7743.jpg

AX9_O7744.jpg

AX9_O7747.jpg

AX9_O7748.jpg

AX9_O7750.jpg

AX9_O7751.jpg

AX9_O7752.jpg

Hope you like it all so far

Andy

I certainly  do!

She looks great Andy, all those extra details are well worth the effort and the weathering looks just like the photos.

Well done mate.

Red Dot    603
13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I certainly  do!

She looks great Andy, all those extra details are well worth the effort and the weathering looks just like the photos.

Well done mate.

hi Craig,

Thanks for the comments, but you failed to notice the upside down window latches!

I can't believe that I did this especially as I was checking the walkarounds as I did it. I will take them apart and do it again though.

see you tonight maybe

Andy

5 hours ago, Red Dot said:

see you tonight maybe

Not unless you are coming to see me at work!

I know the old fart isn't going tonight as Rachel is getting married tomorrow, and Richard is on holiday so not sure how many will be going.

Sorry I missed the latches mate, will have to check your work more thoroughly in the future.

Red Dot    603
6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Not unless you are coming to see me at work!

I know the old fart isn't going tonight as Rachel is getting married tomorrow, and Richard is on holiday so not sure how many will be going.

Sorry I missed the latches mate, will have to check your work more thoroughly in the future.

ahhhh, makes me wonder how we are going to get in then unless Alan is there. Only one way to find out.

I was going to lie about the latches but it seems to have slipped out!

I believe Alan is going, at least Alan was told by Keith that he wasn't going, whether or not that means Alan will actually turn up I don't know as he sometimes is late because of him working away.

Red Dot    603
17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I believe Alan is going, at least Alan was told by Keith that he wasn't going, whether or not that means Alan will actually turn up I don't know as he sometimes is late because of him working away.

i'll give it a go and if no-one is there by 8.15, it will be home time. I will also send out a mail, but we know what good that does ;-)

Let's see if anyone else spots the deliberate error

Andy

Red Dot    603
Posted (edited)

hi all,

Here's another update on the Sea Dragon.

I've changed those annoying window hinges round so the main airframe is finished. Can you see the difference? :o

Work has started on the tail assembly and is going really well.

First up was the rivetting which was an awful lot easier than on the main fueselage, mainly because there was less of it, it was easy to hold the smaller parts and lastly, because i've done it before, i had some confidence. You can see it on the pictures below.

Once this was done, i chain drilled the grille holes and cut out the scrap centre pieces before filing the edges neatly. Note that it doesn't need to be perfect as the etched metal covers the edges. After a coat of liquid cement to smooth things off, i added some Evostik PVA wood glue with a sharpened cocktail stick around the holes and then stuck the grilles into place, pre-bending them if they needed it. Any excess glue can be cleaned away with a wet paint brush. Rather amazingly, as this was the part i was dreading, it all went perfectly.

It's incredible how much you can see through the holes, so i need to scratchbuild some gearboxes and linkages next. Luckily, there is plenty of roonm inside the tail

Hope you like it so far

Andy

AX9_O7765.jpg

AX9_O7756.jpg

AX9_O7761.jpg

AX9_O7762.jpg

AX9_O7764.jpg

AX9_O7757.jpg

AX9_O7760.jpg

Edited by Red Dot

Red Dot    603

hi Intruder503,

Thanks very much for the compliments and I'm glad you liked the thread so far. I can't believe that I have taken so many photos of the build.

Hopefully there will be some more shortly as the end is in sight

Andy

Red Dot    603

hi Duane,

thanks for the comment. The tail is fighting me now!

Andy