Academy 1/48 MH-53 Sea Dragon

Red Dot

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Unfortunately I will be stuck at work Friday Andy, don't think I can make a club meeting until April.

That's a shame and like you my next meeting will be the end of April too. I'll see you at Hinckley though along with lots of boxes of kits to sell

Andy

2 hours ago, ROBOT said:

Andy,

Your scratchwork is superb!

The MH 53 is an intimidating beast from the outside, but seeing your  detailing on the inside i am even more intimidated :worry:

Cool build,

Olli

Thanks Olli. It's the first time i have done stuff in so much detail but i must say, that i am really enjoying it. It's nice to do something different and take on a bit of a challenge away from the usual resin cockpits and wheel-wells. Glad you like it.

Andy

19 minutes ago, Covjets13 said:

Andy, superb work. Lovin the build thread 👍👍👍

Si

Cheers Simon,

I might even get round to doing a bit more tonight

Andy

On 26/02/2017 at 1:53 PM, Vaison said:

Hello, 

I'm following your building of a nice, big, chopper !!

Really enjoy work on rotors and inside...

Waiting for your next post...

Rom.

Thanks Rom. I'll add some more pictures at the weekend as the cockpit is a bit slower than i thought

Andy

8 hours ago, youngtiger1 said:

Just saw this thread as I'm glad I did. The MH-53 is a great helo and this kit is the super. I love the scratch build you are doing. 👍🏻

Thanks very much Youngtiger1.

hi everyone,

Another bit of progress (rapidly catching up with Modelling Minions stalled F-16) on the cockpit and in particular the seats. Taking a look at some photos, it was clear that shock absorber springs were needed in the frame, so i bit the bullet and made some from twisting wire round a needle, then cutting them to length and gluing in place with help from small tweezers. After that, the painting was dead easy!

My only moan is why do Eduard do gorgeous pre-painted brass in totally the wrong colours? The head armour was light grey and should have been black which meant i have lost the (readable) stencilling. It's the same thing for the instrument panels on the overhead console, so i washed them with black too.

The seat cushions were made from a few layers of Tamiya tape and then painted and the seat belts are from the Eduard interior set

As ever, i look forward to your comments and help

Andy

IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg

IMG_6150.jpg

IMG_6144.jpg

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

(rapidly catching up with Modelling Minions stalled F-16)

I think not! She has recovered from her stall and is back in level flight (doing the seemingly millions of decals!), being hotly pursued by the Mig-25 (which I'm surprised you haven't left a sarcastic comment on).

Nice job on the seats Andy, the springs look very convincing and the finished items look very good.

39 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think not! She has recovered from her stall and is back in level flight (doing the seemingly millions of decals!), being hotly pursued by the Mig-25 (which I'm surprised you haven't left a sarcastic comment on).

Nice job on the seats Andy, the springs look very convincing and the finished items look very good.

If only i knew where it was...........................aha, just found it :-) Keep up the good work

Andy

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Vaison said:

Nice work on cockpit elements.

Just a question, I can't find the reference book that you have...:(

Can you give ISBN number of the book or other reference please ??

Rom.

Hi Rom,

Glad you like the bits so far.

I got the book from Hannants (along with one on the Sea Knight in the same series) a couple of years ago but a quick check shows that they don't have it anymore. As you say, it seems to be hard to come by on the internet so secondhand may be the only way. The ISBN is 2-9519087-1-7 published by Landing Zone Publications entitled CH-53E Super Stallion and MH-53E Sea Dragon.

Whilst searching, i also found this ISBN which may be useful too, 1-60014-495-0. I haven't seen any of the content, so i don't know how much detail it has in it.

Hope this helps

Andy

45 minutes ago, Vaison said:

Thank you for rapid answer !!

I will try to get this book,

thanks again,

Rom.

no problem. I hope you get it

Andy

• 1 month later...

hi all,

I bet you thought that i had given up on this one!

After six weeks of general procrastination, pathetic excuses and wimping out, i have finally summoned up the courage and started to rivet the whole airframe.

Basically, i couldn't make up my mind how to do it and whether i should use individual resin rivets (only a masochist would do this on an MH-53!), Archer decal rivets (good but only on flat surfaces and not compound curves), HGW decal rivets (they aren't raised) or plain old Rosie-the-Riveter tools. In the end and having studied lots of good close up photos, i found that the main airframe is covered in small rivets, so i have gone with the riveting tools for subtlety and will use resin rivets for the larger items. I may resort to Archer ones too, but i'll see later.

So, after lots of heartache, here are a few photos. All told, it came out far better than i could have hoped for but i will have to be carefull that the small holes don't fill up with dust or paint. It's not perfect by a long way but at least it isn't a boring flat airframe as the kit would have it.

I've also built up the massive side sponsons and added some brass details into the main landing gear wells. It looks awful in the photo but in true life-size it is okay, but i may revisit it to tidy things up. Photos never lie, right?

IMG_6315.jpg

IMG_6316.jpg

IMG_6317.jpg

IMG_6318.jpg

IMG_6319.jpg

Above are some of the tools that i used. The top one is a cheapy riveter that actually works really well, the wooden handled ones were bought at Telford and the bottom one has a Radu Brinzan riveter in it which is also very good quality.

IMG_6320.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions or tips, please let me know

ta

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 3

Love the rivet work, it looks most convinving. Regarding Eduars and their missed colour sellection, maybe it's time for us modellers to tell them what's wrong or boycot them. I've had lots of issues with theire detail sets back in the late '80's early '90's.Parts which didn't reprsent the kit part they were supposed to rplace, the fit/size of parts. It's not difficult to draw something to scale and then reproduce it but if your original refrence is dodgy. Then check it out, don't go blindly on... All you ae doing is alianating pepole, your customers. However,maybe just some/a lot of modellers are willing to accept medocraty?

JMTPW

Colin

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Love the rivet work, it looks most convinving. Regarding Eduars and their missed colour sellection, maybe it's time for us modellers to tell them what's wrong or boycot them. I've had lots of issues with theire detail sets back in the late '80's early '90's.Parts which didn't reprsent the kit part they were supposed to rplace, the fit/size of parts. It's not difficult to draw something to scale and then reproduce it but if your original refrence is dodgy. Then check it out, don't go blindly on... All you ae doing is alianating pepole, your customers. However,maybe just some/a lot of modellers are willing to accept medocraty?

JMTPW

Colin

Thanks Colin. You are right about Eduard. It cannot be that hard to get things exactly right. 

Take a look at the wheel well. The brass does not fit but I don't know if this is because it is for the CH-53 and that has different deeper wheel wells. My apologies to Eduard if it does, however for the prices charged, they could do better with the colours.

andy

Hi Reddot, seems like you had a lot of bad influence from the Huns :-)

We get a bit carried away? Don't we? :elephant:

Great work looking forward to see it in reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

I managed to get some more 'quality time' on the model last week and it is now starting to look like a helicopter at last.

First up was sorting out the riveting on the sponsons as i wasn't entirely happy with what i had done. They have a couple of panels held on by large rivets that look like something that would hold a ship together! Remember that i mentioned the resin rivets and drilling lots of holes? Well that didn't work out as my only 0.4mm drill broke after seven holes, so it was back to the Archer rivet decals after some filling and sanding. With a lot more care than i used last time, i managed to get these to work really well. Now i am happy :-)

IMG_6360.jpg

Next i moved on to the engines to try to actually get something moving and gain some impetus. These turned out to be very straightforward and easy to assemble once the existing detail was removed. I curled the Eduard brass filters by putting them in the cutting mat face down and rolling a smooth round file handle over the back of them, then glued them to the plastic with PVA wood glue. A bit of brass rod was added for detail along with some plastic card for a raised hinge line.

IMG_6361.jpg

IMG_6343.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6340.jpg

I was on a roll now, so i moved on to joining the fuselage halves. This was really easy as the fit of parts is excellent in the kit although my usual ham-fistedness means that i still have to use filler and do lots of sanding.

IMG_6345.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

The white bit in the middle of the second photo is where i have to replace a couple of lines of rivets as they were in the wrong place and in the last picture, the sponsons are not glued on yet. This just gives you an idea of the overall size of the model as that is an A3 mat underneath it!

The good thing is that the fit of the engines is great so these can all be painted up separately and added at the end of the build. I need to do a lot more work on the fuselage to get the joints smooth and replace the lost detail, but at least i have made some proper progress at last.

Lastly, you can't see much of the earlier inside work but at least you know it's there!

IMG_6355.jpg

Hope you like it

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all,

Here's another update now that i have some time to do some modelling.

The engine pods are fully painted and decalled as you can see. They also have some weathering applied, but not enough just yet as the walkaround photos show that the filters are almost totally black around the holes. I need to repaint the exhaust pipes too as they were too dark. Hopefully, this won't be too difficult with the masking.

AX9O6672.jpg

AX9O6673.jpg

AX9O6671.jpg

And now the cockpit photos. I really should have taken some better in progress pictures but got too carried away with the rapid progress. Everything fits really well and seems to be pretty accurate when compared to the real thing. First up is the back of the instrument panel with some simulated wiring going to the electronics bay in the nose. It's not very accurate apart from the colour but at least it fills a void when you look through the cockpit windows.

Next are views of the Eduard IP itself and some of the instruments that you have seen before. All-in-all, the pre-painted brasss set made the cockpit looks very full and detailed, so it was well worth the effort especially as the space is so large compared to a 1/48 fighter jet.

AX9O6663.jpg

AX9O6668.jpg

AX9O6662.jpg

Hope you like the progress so far

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 7

Thanks Craig.

I've done some more work on the engines tonight and the exhausts are now painted, they are fully weathered and mat finished too. I'll bring the bits along on Fridfay for all to see.

However, i've just looked at the picture of the one i am doing and found that the inlet at the back of the engines is black - B****r! Still, it's not a big issue to paint it.

As you say, bring on the weathering, it's going to be fun

Andy