I didn't know airliners could do this....

Latinbear

I didn't know airliners could empty their waste tanks in mid-air.

You have to feel very sorry for people under the flightpath if this is really happening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-38388351

The fine seems disproportionately small relative to the unpleasantness that results for those on the ground.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Agent K said:

They can't! I think they're suggesting leakage rather than actual dumping.

I did think it was rather odd otherwise I suspect some malicious airline pilots or those with a sense of humour might be tempted.....

From....... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/What-happens-when-you-flush-a-plane-loo/

There is one caveat, however. It is impossible to empty passengers' waste from an aircraft intentionally, but not by mistake.

“A man in California once won a lawsuit after pieces of “blue ice” fell from a plane and came crashing through the skylight of his sailboat,” added Captain Smith. “A leak, extending from a toilet’s exterior nozzle fitting, caused runoff to freeze, build, and then drop like a neon ice bomb. If you think that’s bad, a 727 once suffered an engine separation after ingesting a frozen chunk of its own leaked toilet waste, inspiring the line ‘when the poop hits the turbofan.’”

Ken

Edited by Mike
Obfuscated swearing is still swearing
  • Like 4

It can't.

The blue ice is the neat water and sanitising chemical, quite often found around the fill point. There is only one valve on the fill system, for replenishing.  Too drop the tank there is at least two valves.  The system is pressurised in service so even less change.  

I have had the fun of servicing toilets on everything from a Citation upto B 777, for a living. 

• Like 2

That's a ridiculous story. Bizarre even. Pilots can't dump toilet waste. You have to wonder at veracity of the source. If it's true then the people involved seem particularly stupid. Yes a leak is possible but there is no 'dump toilet waste' switch on the flight deck. 

What on earth is the BBC reporting this poop?

Edited by Mike
Obfuscated swearing is still swearing