Italeri "new" (reissue, repop, rebox etc.) in 2017

Homebee

16 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

True but, model shows in any part of Scotland are about as rare as honest politicians!!. For a great many, if not most of us, model shows are simply not an option either due to distance/costs involved/or both of those.. As for the online auction sites, I rarely, if ever bid on anything. Almost without exception bids go higher than I can afford. I tend to stick to "buy it now" or, "best offer" options. At least then I know up front what I will be paying

Allan

I understand that model shows may be less easy to attend in some places than in others, the fact is that IMHO it's more and more difficult today to get good bargains when buying online than it was only a few years ago. Most online dealers, be they actual shops of private modellers, today know well the value of what they are selling, almost everyone checks the current prices for their same items to get an idea of what they can hope to make. I'm not saying that it's impossible to find good bargain, it sure is, but it's getting harder and harder. At model shows on the other hand it's more likely to find people who have little idea of the ongoing online prices or that may be willing to lower a price just to get rid of some stuff and buy new items.

If you don't have local model shows, it's good to visit flea markets, you never know what can be found there. I've bought a lot of kits at incredible prices at local flea markets, ranging from some very common airfix classics to things like a Hasegawa Tomcat to even short run and resin kits. Of course not all flea markets are equald and a lot depends on luck.

One other advice if buying online is to check outside the Country: sure, postage may hit harder but a kit that is popular in Britain may not be as sought after somewhere else. When the CA 1/48 Hornet went OOP the prices went through the root in Britain while in Italy I could find shops flogging them out for £20 as nobody was buying them. Other way round, I saw Mc.202 kits for sale in Britain at a fraction of what I can hope to buy from an Italian dealer.

49 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

True but, model shows in any part of Scotland are about as rare as honest politicians!!. For a great many, if not most of us, model shows are simply not an option either due to distance/costs involved/or both of those.. As for the online auction sites, I rarely, if ever bid on anything. Almost without exception bids go higher than I can afford. I tend to stick to "buy it now" or, "best offer" options. At least then I know up front what I will be paying

Allan

Have you tried some of the Facebook sale groups? The ones I frequent are usually pretty America-centric (for obvious reasons), but I've scored some bargains there. 

12 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I understand that model shows may be less easy to attend in some places than in others, the fact is that IMHO it's more and more difficult today to get good bargains when buying online than it was only a few years ago. Most online dealers, be they actual shops of private modellers, today know well the value of what they are selling, almost everyone checks the current prices for their same items to get an idea of what they can hope to make. I'm not saying that it's impossible to find good bargain, it sure is, but it's getting harder and harder. At model shows on the other hand it's more likely to find people who have little idea of the ongoing online prices or that may be willing to lower a price just to get rid of some stuff and buy new items.

If you don't have local model shows, it's good to visit flea markets, you never know what can be found there. I've bought a lot of kits at incredible prices at local flea markets, ranging from some very common airfix classics to things like a Hasegawa Tomcat to even short run and resin kits. Of course not all flea markets are equald and a lot depends on luck.

One other advice if buying online is to check outside the Country: sure, postage may hit harder but a kit that is popular in Britain may not be as sought after somewhere else. When the CA 1/48 Hornet went OOP the prices went through the root in Britain while in Italy I could find shops flogging them out for £20 as nobody was buying them. Other way round, I saw Mc.202 kits for sale in Britain at a fraction of what I can hope to buy from an Italian dealer.

Good morning Giorgio.

You raise some good points and  I  totally agree with your comment re online deals!!  I do often buy from overseas as I often find that prices can be considerably lower than in rip off Britain. This can go some way to mitigating postage costs. As an example, a couple of years back  got  a pair of Trumpeter 1/32 MiG 23 kits from Hong Kong for total cost ncuding postage of £129. Retail cost of just one of those kits in Britain is £115 -£120!!

Unfortunately we no longer have a local flea market - the nearest is 29 km away!! I do however regularly. visit local car boot sales! I have picked up quite a few little gems over the years there including (recently) a pair of Fujimi Nakajima G-10 Fugaku  kits.Depends on luck though.Most times I leave empty 

Allan

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

Have you tried some of the Facebook sale groups? The ones I frequent are usually pretty America-centric (for obvious reasons), but I've scored some bargains there. 

Occasionally tried the UK ones. Bit bit and miss although I have, like you been able to get some good deals. Rarely use Facebook though!!😁😁

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

According to MM, yes it does although I don't think there are any weapons included.

It's close, however needs to be modified a little in order to truly resemble an A-6A.

Please excuse my wording, however this kit has the more beefier lower wing inboard leading edge sections (above the intake) that a more common on the A-6E Intruder. These parts need to be thinned down to match the rest of the wing profile. In the second sprue photograph above, the 2nd part at top left is a flat rectangular panel that sits beneath the under fuse refuelling housing. The A-6A (and E) should have a small domed area instead of this flat piece. A search for Italeri A-6E sprues will help explain this better. The lack of weapons has been mentioned above. 

So an A-6A is certainly do-able and other BM members may be able to supply further input.

Overall though, the Italeri series of A-6 kits are really nice and this version gets a great boost with its new vibrant decal sheet.

Cheers.. Dave       

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Model shows in Scotland rare??????  In 2017 there were model shows held  in Perth, East Neuk, Dundee, Elgin ,Aberdeen and Glasgow never mind the one in Edinburgh.  

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Model shows in Scotland rare??????  In 2017 there were model shows held  in Perth, East Neuk, Dundee, Elgin ,Aberdeen and Glasgow never mind the one in Edinburgh.  

Rare??? Yes. I would call that rare. Seven shows in widely spread locations over the whole country in a whole year is not what I would describe as commonplace. Elgin I would rule out because of the travel involved. Which makes them even rarer.Perhaps we. define "rare" differently?

In any case, it changes nothing as the cost of travel to and from far flung destinations would certainly negate any possible savings on kit purchases - including Italeri. 

Allan