Italeri "new" (reissue, repop, rebox etc.) in 2017

Homebee

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see the XB-70 again.  Spectacular looking model even if it is an utter pig of a kit to build.  One hopes for a reissue of the XB-35 & YB-49 to follow!!:lol:

Allan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re the Phantom , the CR coded one is captioned as Stenberg. Where is that?? As we all know it should be Soesterburg which has [prompted me to mention that I have some slides scanned of a show I went to in 1981. No CR F-4 but a couple CR F-15. Will sort those out to post in appropriate forum later.

• Like 1

While the subjects make a change from the usual Vietnam F-4Es, it looks as though the kit colour instructions have fallen victim to the same sub-par research as their RF-4E. Instead of 'Gull Grey', the USAF and RAAF jets should have FS36622 pale grey undersurfaces and the IDF/AF aircraft should have FS35622 pale blue undersurfaces. The JASDF Phantom is actually a RF-4EJ Kai (not to be confused with the original reconnaissance nose RF-4Es) so should have a different fin cap and wing tips (and cockpit panels). Ideally Italeri should have added a LOROP and/or TACER pod or at least the F-15 style HPC tank as well. Ironically, this scheme does use FS36440 Light Gull Grey for the undersides!

Perhaps Stenberg AFB is near the Dutch Pyrenees... :whistle:

• Like 4

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, sroubos said:

Not a bad kit but I have no clue why anyone would want this over the vastly superior and similarly-priced Revell kit...

Probably because it's actually a pretty decent kit and, being much less complex,  a much easier build than the (admittedly) beautiful Revell kit.

Allan.

• Like 1

Well, you are probably right because I'm assuming Italeri wouldn't have released this without gauging the demand for it, but I haven't met the modeller who prefers a less complex but thirty year old kit over one of the best new molds released in recent memory - at the same price!

There's something more though - I'm not a fan of repops when they add nothing to the market. In this case it's borderline maybe as the original still builds into a decent kit, but the shops are full of old stuff in new boxes that has no business being there. If you fool people into buying old crap (I'm looking at you Revell, with your Tony rivet fest, and you Italeri, with that awful awful 109F) it hurts the hobby because people feel they have wasted their money and companies take advantage of them - which they do.

I recently bought Revell's 'new' Heinkel He-70, which turned out to be a rebox of the almost ten year old ICM kit. I was very disappointed on opening the box - ICM do good stuff nowadays but back then is was very much short run. This He-70 is arguably worse than the much older Matchbox He-70, which provided more options (and incidentally was not all that long ago also repopped by Revell). So Revell have my money but I'll think twice before i buy from them again. It will have to be along the lines of that Ju-88 before they get my money.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sroubos said:

Well, you are probably right because I'm assuming Italeri wouldn't have released this without gauging the demand for it, but I haven't met the modeller who prefers a less complex but thirty year old kit over one of the best new molds released in recent memory - at the same price!

There's something more though - I'm not a fan of repops when they add nothing to the market. In this case it's borderline maybe as the original still builds into a decent kit, but the shops are full of old stuff in new boxes that has no business being there. If you fool people into buying old crap (I'm looking at you Revell, with your Tony rivet fest, and you Italeri, with that awful awful 109F) it hurts the hobby because people feel they have wasted their money and companies take advantage of them - which they do.

I recently bought Revell's 'new' Heinkel He-70, which turned out to be a rebox of the almost ten year old ICM kit. I was very disappointed on opening the box - ICM do good stuff nowadays but back then is was very much short run. This He-70 is arguably worse than the much older Matchbox He-70, which provided more options (and incidentally was not all that long ago also repopped by Revell). So Revell have my money but I'll think twice before i buy from them again. It will have to be along the lines of that Ju-88 before they get my money.

I think all your points abovemighh be valid for the from time to time modeller who does nor know the market nor is interested in it. He (I suppose) buy what is available easily depending on subject ....

But people posting here in this section know exactly dhat to expect from a kit befor buying, at least they should know where to get thas info from!!

Well, I follow the model news pretty well, I read all the major websites and have a subscription to a mag or two but I can't keep up with everything and as you see I still make mistakes.

And I think you are mistaken if you think the majority of people who buy kits are as well-informed as the average visitor to Britmodeller. They are more liable than you or I to be taken in by these tricks.

Edited by sroubos

16 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Probably because it's actually a pretty decent kit and, being much less complex,  a much easier build than the (admittedly) beautiful Revell kit.

Allan.

Which revell kit?, i wasnt aware they did a new or recent tool 1/48th f-4e

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, Homebee said:

- ref. 1387 -   Martin B-57B Canberra - 1/72nd

Source: http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2609

1387_box.jpg

1387_profiliLR.jpg

V.P.

Looks like the side box decal captions are also slightly incorrect on the re-issued B-57.

If my other references are correct, option 'C' should be from the 8th BS, 3rd TBW(?), operating during the Vietnam War circa 1964-66, whilst option 'D' is a 822nd BS aircraft from the 38th BW.

Hopefully these will be corrected before final release, however I'm truly surprised that Italeri themselves have missed this basic error so far.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 0:22 AM, XV571 said:

While the subjects make a change from the usual Vietnam F-4Es, it looks as though the kit colour instructions have fallen victim to the same sub-par research as their RF-4E. Instead of 'Gull Grey', the USAF and RAAF jets should have FS36622 pale grey undersurfaces and the IDF/AF aircraft should have FS35622 pale blue undersurfaces. The JASDF Phantom is actually a RF-4EJ Kai (not to be confused with the original reconnaissance nose RF-4Es) so should have a different fin cap and wing tips (and cockpit panels). Ideally Italeri should have added a LOROP and/or TACER pod or at least the F-15 style HPC tank as well. Ironically, this scheme does use FS36440 Light Gull Grey for the undersides!

Perhaps Stenberg AFB is near the Dutch Pyrenees... :whistle:

The same sub-par research of the RF and of many other Italeri kits... this company doesn't seem to be able to provide proper information on their subjects.

Regarding the paint proposed for the USAF and RAAF Phantoms, things are a bit muddy: they propose a paint from their line that they call Gull Grey but state is matched to FS 36622.. to make things more interesting, they state that this paint is used for USAF aicrafts but also WW2 Italian aircrafts. No such paint however was used in WW2 by Italy, all the greys were darker. I have no idea what grey this paint actually represents, could be any of 3 or 4 options... Of course it would be wrong for the Israeli aircraft anyway.

In general though at the right price this wouldn't be a bad kit, it's quite simplified but can be a good canvas to add some detail. At €38 however I'm not convinced, for this money I can probably hunt around for a Hasegawa Phantom. I hope that at least Italeri have supplied the corrected canopy that was included in their RF-4