Hellcat had a lot of work today. 

Seams finally sorted, more grey stynylrez all over. 

White stynylrez on radome then masked, canopy masked then some c27 on frames. 

Hataka dark sea blue (ana623) coated all over. Used ultimate modelling products thinner, went down nice and smooth. 

Next I tried something mentioned in another thread - mr color levelling thinner with hataka.

I am happy to report this works.

But needs thoroughly thoroughly mixing. Its about a one part paint to 4 part thinner ratio. As it makes the paint 'expand' or swell up. Its gloopy at first, but keep mixing and then it gets there. If not properly mixed you can get blobby/splattery bits come out. 

Anyways using the levelling thinner I mixed in some 'true blue' and faded the center of some of the panels, lastly I put some of their insignia white in the mix to make a very light blue. This was put down the fuselage sections vertically and 'scribbled' all over top of wings in one long flowing spaghetti, this gave a nice blotchy appearance. Looks a bit strong now but will calm down with weathering.

Prop, engine and drop tank painted in AK extreme aluminium ready for further details. 

Prop had the blades brushed with hataka 'night black' then the blades masked off for the blue hub and yellow tips which were sprayed. 

Since spray job Radome has had Insignia white brushed on. Tail wheel rubber touched in, exhaust stubs done, a few other touch ups and its ready and waiting for decals. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Even coat

image.jpg

Note how light the blue mix is in colour up bottom right. 

image.jpg

Higher contrast

image.jpg

image.jpg

Prop

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic order
  • Like 3

Bits for the X1, done before decaling the hellcat. 

Rubber in mr color 137 tire black. Masked and then SM01 hubs. 

Probes in SM06. 

Rubber seal painted on door, then all doors and U/C legs chipped and washed. 

Wheel hubs washed in black. Tires in earth. 

U/C oleos brushed with mig ammo acrylic polished metal, piston step shaded in gunmetal (mig again)

Jet exhaust plate etch sprayed with Ak extreme gunmetal (no priming needed) and washed with dark brown and black. Soot to be added once installed. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

thats if for this one...

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 3

Lastly the mig 15 had its seams finally sorted and then the wings put on. Ready to use ak metals range in anger! (Only used for exhausts and leading edges on tomcats so far)

Bamboo skewer pierced through some foam, then up the pre-painted zorst to mask that off and act as a handle. 

Primed with decanted halfords plastic primer (dries fast for seam work) this was smoothed with 4000 cloth and then coated with Ak extreme dark aluminium. 

Tomorrow all the small panels will be masked off and then sprayed all over with normal aluminium. 

Need to prep canopy etc tonight. 

Once aluminium done, some panels around the nose will get titanium and also pale burnt metal around tail pipe panels. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic order
  • Like 7

Hellcat wash on... 

Grey & deep grey

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not shown in pics, but been sealed in now with varying levels of sheen using alclad semi-matt on undersides and flat on top. 

Drying off in airing cupboard. Exhaust stains tomoz then final assy...

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 2

Mig 15 messing about. 

Took a short cut rather than trying to mask off and spray loads of tiny panels. 

Plane was painted in dark aluminium. Masking and maskol on...

image.jpg

Plain alu on... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Maskol off and voilà! Dark alu panels everywhere... Plane angled in pics for max contrast. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

More masking for pale burnt metal on zorst and titanium on nose...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then a mix of the two on some larger panels and bits that are easily masked... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Final result... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic order
  • Like 9

Details painted and u/c bays touched up. 

Decals on and then wingwalks masked, sprayed and then chipped. 

Other markings chipped/scratched. Ready for gloss coat and a wash next. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

A very dark patchy grey mixed up. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hellcat engine ready to go in. 

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 5

On 12/22/2016 at 8:10 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Eduard 1/48 bell x1

Been messing around with this while other bits drying etc. Maximum concurrent activity and al that.  

Mr color 351 zinc green for interior and gear. Washes and chipping courtesy of mig. Sealed with the ak ultra matt. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is what i should have done. Stuck the cockpit to the door side instead of tuther. Looking forward to seeing this finished. Great WIP by the way! 

On 12/22/2016 at 8:10 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Eduard 1/48 bell x1

Been messing around with this while other bits drying etc. Maximum concurrent activity and al that.  

Mr color 351 zinc green for interior and gear. Washes and chipping courtesy of mig. Sealed with the ak ultra matt. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is what i should have done. Stuck the cockpit to the door side instead of tuther. Looking forward to seeing this finished. Great WIP by the way! 

3 hours ago, Orangesherbert said:

Cheers mate! 

Yeah did it sub-consciously, didn't plan on it. But makes sense as gets floor to line up with door hole :) 

Thanks! 

Last one of the mig before its RFI. 

I assembled all the u/c and gear doors before final clear coat to help blend/hide any glue splonges. Inner main gear doors are tough. Prongs are way too big for the notches in bay. 

Anyways...

Results of the varnish coat last night. Quite nice in the glow of the morning light. Was ak satin overall, with ultra matt dusted on wing walks and insignia to fade them and provide contrast. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

All it needs now is nav lights, masts and wires and gunsight/canopy bits. 

Oh and maybe a touch up around the jet pipe. 

Cheers 

• Like 4

Nav lights being done in the mig crystal Colours 

image.jpg

x1 update...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Despite guesstimating the amount of weight, its still a tail sitter 😡

So made a stand to sit under the 'dash support lines' on the fuselage. It does look a tail heavy plane. Perhaps when the rocket fuel tanks (ballast) behind the pilot were empty it did need to be braced? 

The stand will be done in a steel shade for later chipping technique. Not sure on the top paint colour for the stand. Red? May clash with the orange. Perhaps machine blue? Or the same zinc chromate green like the rest of the interior parts... First world problems lol

• Like 1

Right all is now done!

Back to work today, 3 weeks holiday over Christmas period now done, so this WIP is too. 

In short, a massive push yesterday and a few hours this evening. 

- the mig 15 had superfabric seatbelts on, seat in then its clear parts on. Jet pipe touched up. 

Then Wires and probes etc. 

- Hellcat same for its wires etc. Also some cordite stains trailing from gun barrels. Prop was chipped with a blade, black removed back to the silver primer. (Ak extreme aluminium)

-  Bell x1 was saved with some 'liquid gravity' with white glue right in the very tip of the nose. Blanked off with some black plastic card. Now no longer a tailsitter. Jet pipe etch plate on, and then some burnt staining around it with Ak extreme jet exhaust. Its then had its probes and the like fitted too. 

Pics will be taken hopefully at lunchtime of all 5 (red arrows hawk and f117 too) for their individual RFI threads. 

Stay tuned! 

image.jpg

Right so there is the results of this thread all together! Not bad for a months or so work, the majority being done over three weeks leave. (Guest star - mk 9 spitfire which had its own more in-depth WIP)

Of particular interest is the size comparison, they are all 1/72 apart from the 1/48 x-1. So the nighthawk is massive and the x-1 is tiny! 

So RFI's in no particular order: 

F-117 

Bell X-1

Red arrows hawk

Mig-15

Hellcat

Spitfire

Thats all folks!

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 6

You don't do things by half eh? A nice relaxing mojo restoring six,SIX plane simultaneous build.  :huh: hat doffed sir. You have done a cracking job. Don't know how I missed this while it was happening.

brilliant work on all planes. Your thread has run me dry on likes but I like it all.

have you ever tried the Vajello metallic range? Are the AK ones better if you have? 

Ill check the RFIs tomorrow when my like rejuvenate. Awesome work Tony.

:rambo: Jonn.

4 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

You don't do things by half eh? A nice relaxing mojo restoring six,SIX plane simultaneous build.  :huh: hat doffed sir. You have done a cracking job. Don't know how I missed this while it was happening.

brilliant work on all planes. Your thread has run me dry on likes but I like it all.

have you ever tried the Vajello metallic range? Are the AK ones better if you have? 

Ill check the RFIs tomorrow when my like rejuvenate. Awesome work Tony.

:rambo: Jonn.

Cheers John, yeah I was a busy boy over Christmas hols/December. But thats what you get when you have no kids or family near by. I will die a lonely old man surrounded by plastic... 

Anyways on a brighter note, 

Yes I have used vallejo metal color. Was on a 1/48 eduard mk 16. 

Very good also, just like the ak xtreme. Just one is waterbased and one enamel so depends what you like to work with. I'd say its a tiny bit more fragile than the AK extreme, but then again so is any acrylic compared to an enamel. 

Here it is if you are interested - 

Also the first completed F14D (Vf31) from my tomcat saga was finished in all vallejo paints, model air and color, with their metal color on the zorsts & leading edges etc. 

Looking forward to using them again someday...

Tony. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Cheers John, yeah I was a busy boy over Christmas hols/December. But thats what you get when you have no kids or family near by. I will die a lonely old man surrounded by plastic... 

Anyways on a brighter note, 

Yes I have used vallejo metal color. Was on a 1/48 eduard mk 16. 

Very good also, just like the ak xtreme. Just one is waterbased and one enamel so depends what you like to work with. I'd say its a tiny bit more fragile than the AK extreme, but then again so is any acrylic compared to an enamel. 

Here it is if you are interested - 

Also the first completed F14D (Vf31) from my tomcat saga was finished in all vallejo paints, model air and color, with their metal color on the zorsts & leading edges etc. 

Looking forward to using them again someday...

Tony. 

Yes kids and life do tend to get in the way of good plastic.:o

lovely Spit by the way. I tend to use Acrylic,  I didn't realise that the true metal range was enamel. I'm glad you said.

I think I still have plenty to learn with water based paints before I go dipping else where. 

Thanks for the info.

Jont

17 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Yes kids and life do tend to get in the way of good plastic.:o

lovely Spit by the way. I tend to use Acrylic,  I didn't realise that the true metal range was enamel. I'm glad you said.

I think I still have plenty to learn with water based paints before I go dipping else where. 

Thanks for the info.

Jont

The Ak paint i used on the mig-15 was the 'extreme' metal range, pre thinned in the bottles for airbrushing. An enamel type paint.

The Ak 'true' metal is the one in the oil paint tubes which is the paste stuff. Not used nor have any of that. 

Tony

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony Oliver said:

The Ak paint i used on the mig-15 was the 'extreme' metal range, pre thinned in the bottles for airbrushing. An enamel type paint.

The Ak 'true' metal is the one in the oil paint tubes which is the paste stuff. Not used nor have any of that. 

Tony

Sorry yes my mistake. I knew it was extreme I got the name wrong. Doh! 

J

• Like 1

i especially like the F6F-5N and the X-1.

I was very curious about the Hitaka ANA Gloss Sea Blue. How does it compare to other Gloss Sea Blues on the market you've tried in terms of hue/ shade?

Am curious....

d-bot

• Thanks 1

On 13 January 2017 at 03:42, David H said:

i especially like the F6F-5N and the X-1.

I was very curious about the Hitaka ANA Gloss Sea Blue. How does it compare to other Gloss Sea Blues on the market you've tried in terms of hue/ shade?

Am curious....

d-bot

Hi mate, thanks for the compliments. Sorry can't help you much, first and only sea blue paint I own and model i've done... 

It came with the hataka usn/marine set, so bought the hellcat to try it out on. 

Have now got some more hellcats in the stash so will no doubt be getting more blues from other manufacturers to use on them....