Another reason for these builds was to try out some new products. 

New to me for this one is the ak varnishes, satin for lowers and ultra matt on top. 

It is very matt but very fragile and 'chalky' 

This nighthawk was done in mr hobby gloss black and white ready for decals. Straight out of the box, just added a pilot figure. 

Only a dozen or so parts for wheels up! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Leading edges work

image.jpg

Lowers masked off to protect white

image.jpg

Satin finished lowers. Blue is one decal. Red bits needed a lot of touch up with paint.  Smoothed out with gloss. 

image.jpg

Before

image.jpg

After

image.jpg

This one is done now and on its stand, will do an RFI at some point. 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic order
  • Like 4

This is the airfix hawk. 50th display seasons boxing, the newest tool by airfix. 

Started on Saturday-ish. Painted yesterday. 

Wheels up gear door covers make good masks for the grey bays. 

Primed in this years must have, stynylrez. 

Xtracrylics red arrows colour which is a bit orange for me. Compare to tamiya red on spare mig 15 wing. So gave a couple coats of tamiya red. Its now curing in the airing cupboard for decals after Christmas.  No pic of it in tamiya red yet. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 3

Eduard 1/48 bell x1

Been messing around with this while other bits drying etc. Maximum concurrent activity and al that.  

Mr color 351 zinc green for interior and gear. Washes and chipping courtesy of mig. Sealed with the ak ultra matt. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 2

Some work on the hellcat from just now...

Also trying out these ak paints for brushing details.

Very happy with them. Think vallejo model color but a matt finish and they dry much quicker. 

Next is gloss coat for decals and a wash. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

20 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

I tend to give my matt coats a rub down with a soft cloth as it helps to take down the harshness of the finish. Quick work on the F-117 Tony

True, but doesn't rubbing it make it smooth, and smooth equals shiny? I would like a matt coat to stay that way. May sell these ak bottles on...

A good flat coat I've found so far is the aclad kote range enamel one. Flat and tough but stinks like a good un 👍🏿

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

True, but doesn't rubbing it make it smooth, and smooth equals shiny? I would like a matt coat to stay that way. May sell these ak bottles on...

A good flat coat I've found so far is the aclad kote range enamel one. Flat and tough but stinks like a good un 👍🏿

yea it reduces it to a satin finish compared to a hard matt. If I remember rightly it was because the finish felt a little pebbly, though to the eye it was smooth. It helped to reduce the feel and evened it out a bit on the spitfire I'd used it on. I use Mr Color Super Clear III for gloss & their flat base or flat clear for the matt finishes. Hardy and quick drying but a drop of retarder never goes amiss.

• Like 1

X1 progress...

White metal bits epoxied in for weight. Fuselage filled with foam to allow skewer painting handle to be fitted. 

Trying out some hataka paints, this orange came in the early USN set which was mainly bought for the gull grey (tomcat saga).

Also the navy blue in the same set will be going on the hellcat in this wip.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Damn that's an impressive work rate!!!!!!! You've done more in a few days then I've managed all year!?! Still, it might just shame me into getting a least one finished this year so thanks lol Keep up the great work

• Like 1

X1 update. 

Thats better! 

image.jpg

Primed.

image.jpg

Hataka orange. Thinned with own thinners. Quite matt and rough. 

image.jpg

Next A few drops of white added and then uppers 'bleached'

image.jpg

image.jpg

Drowned in ak gauzy ready for decals. Before that I went back over with the neat orange with the airbrush to get some blotchy-ness. Then also brushed some along seams etc. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic spacing
  • Like 2

Some progress on the hawk.

So the decals went straight onto the tamiya red paint. To smooth everything out and blend in the touchups it had a few coats of Xtracrylics satin varnish. 

The touchups along with red here and there were the blue and white bits along the edge of the tail fin, and I had to paint some white on the strakes along the the bottom of the wing which I had completely forgotten about, they were painted seperate in the same red as the plane but left off to aid the decal application on the bottom. It was also to blend in some of the black lumps and bumps touched in by brush on the fuselage.

I have found lately that a satin coat is the best to inspect for flaws. Gloss is too shiny obviously to see whats really going on with the surface and a matt coat can be too rough/textured to see problems, especially if the final finish isn't going to be matt. This has happened to me with a matt (as most are) primer before, all looks fine, start to lay on the gloss color coat then all these sanding swirls appear again... 

Anyway tangent over. 

So once it had enough satin and everything was smoothed out, it was then glossed. I used alclad aquagloss. This went lovely onto the satin finish. A few heavy wet coats, flashed off with with the hairdrier. (Its très cold in the garage where I spray) and then the last was allowed to dry naturally. 

Next came a decision on whether to use a wash or not. I had intended not to, as the planes are spic and span, but the panel lines weren't uniform - As in some places the white decals had settled right into them, so looked fine. But in other places they hadn't, or some of the clear parts on the 'royal air force' hadn't either, so were effectively 'silvered'. So they all had a scalpel run through them and instead of trying to touch in with white here and there I went for a wash to join them all together instead of having the broken white bits in them. 

I didn't want the wash to look like weathering,  but to enhance/bring out the detail. So I played around with some colors on the underside. Black was too strong, and over emphasised the lines and made it look toy like. 

I tried a dark red brown to compliment the red, but just didn't look right or like extreme rusting. So I went for deep grey and that worked best. A neutral colour and doesn't look like grime. 

So the whole planes panel lines had the grey wash, after an hour it wash cleaned up very well with some kitchen roll. I made sure that there were no tide marks or streaks left behind and I didn't want any weathering as previously mentioned. 

The plus side of all this rubbing is that the aquagloss got a good polish and smoothing out, as there was some roughness/overspray here and there.   

This is the best finish in terms of gloss I have achieved with aquagloss so far. Quite pleased. 

The landing gear had the grey wash on too. 

Lastly, instead of painting it on the canopy and trying to line it up, I just painted the edge of the blast shield thing. Roughed up the sides to key it with a sanding stick (womens nail files from primark 4 for £1) and two coats of some revell aqua 16 sand sorted that. 

The afternoon was spent on final assembly putting the gear and doors on, and all the prongs and probes etc. 

RFI for this and the nighthawk soon. Want to get the x-1 a bit further first. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Work on the x1 yesterday and today. 

Deep brown panel line wash, then sealed with satin varnish. 

Inside of gear doors done in mr color 351. 

Probes primed and smoothed, then gloss black ready for SM06 chrome silver. 

image.jpg

Deep brown

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mr C 351

image.jpg

Satin

image.jpg

Next,

Hellcat getting some stynylrez. Alot of work still on underside of wings where rocket mount holes had to be filled. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Picture order
  • Like 2