1/48 airfix lightning F1

Got this finished last night. Not massively happy with my pictures, not up to the usual standard, white was prob not the best colour to use as a background. Unfortunately Shes off to her new home tomorrow (commission for a Christmas present) so wont be able to get any better pics. Quite pleased considering its my first metal finish, I dont think ill be rushing to do another though! You seriously need a perfect black gloss finish and had to rub down the whole model a few times! Still, an enjoyable build and nice to learn something new!

Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Airfix
Paint: Tamiya and Alclad
Extras: None
Weathering: Flory Black wash
Decals: OOB

ytY2nvR.jpg
97g6DeV.jpg
hacGRcY.jpg
oXSLv8q.jpg
SMBiQJU.jpg

• Like 27

Nice Lightning! Just for the sake of discussion, this is how I do my bare-metal finishes, and I am (was!) a spray-painter, painting aircraft sometimes too!  (I have just built Airfix's Lightning F2-a, but not to your standard!) 1. clean model and mask where necessary. 2. spray 1 or 2 light coats of Tamiya AS-12 (bare metal silver) straight from the aerosol can. 3. Let dry thoroughly. 4. mask various panels off for...5. one or two light coats of Tamiya TS-17 (gloss aluminium), straight from the aerosol can. Unmask, finished. I find this a simple and effective way to do BMF models. My approach is to keep it as simple as I can, and if you have doubts, just go and look at a real aeroplane....... (just 1 opinion among many, when it comes to BMF's)

• Like 1