Corgi 'The Saint' Volvo P1800

There's no build thread to this as it was a little 3 day fun fill-in.

I bought the wreck from Ebay for £3.50-ish plus p/p.

A bit of dismantling, Nitromors, paint and home made decal - all sorted.

A replica box next.

If you've never saved a little old toy car from the verge of the bin, give it a go.

It's surprisingly rewarding, thinking a little almost lost heap now has a place on a shelf again.

Roy.

P1013000_zps0dt17hns.jpg

P1013037_zpsxc8boc4r.jpg

P1013038_zpsbvvoyuny.jpg

• Like 21

Good idea and a great job Roy.

That was my favourite  car  in the mid 60s.We used to visit an Aunty next to RAF Bovingdon (home of 633 Sqn ), two roads back from hers was one of these parked in a driveway. I couldn't wait to see it.

Built by Jensen in the England BTW, I learned years after.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

I love doing these little resto's.

It's strangely satisfying to see a little dustbin-job come back to being something that's loved, and in a display cabinet.

It almost makes you feel as if the little toy would be grateful.

• Like 1

Nice job. I can't think that the box came with the car, do you print your own? If so is there a reference source for old Corgi/Dinky boxes? I have a few that would benefit from a restoration job and the box just finishes it off nicely, then they'd be suitable for a display cabinet rather than the back of a cupboard.

Thanks,

Mark

You know you've hit on a great idea with these restoration's Roy,flea market's and the like often have old Corgi/Dinky vehicles

thrown into boxes for coppers,This one looks superb just as I remember it as a Christmas present in the sixties!Just reminded

me my Dad worked for a company that melted down alloy's for re-use they had a hopper full to the brim with old toy cars 

hundreds of them He (with permission) used to get any decent army vehicles for me mostly Dinky you can imagine how

chuffed I was the day the Scammell Antar arrived complete with tank!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

What you need to do know is find an XJ-S to keep her company with 'Return of the Saint....

£10.85 inc postage..Buy it now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351951897990?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=36165537022&rlsatarget=pla-278516744349&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006893&device=c&campaignid=738474636&crdt=0

• Like 1

One thing hasn't been mentioned.. The Saint logo wasn't on the car in the TV series

11 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

One thing hasn't been mentioned.. The Saint logo wasn't on the car in the TV series

For the state of it that's being a bit greedy,roy's going to repaint it anyway so a 50p bargain would do in any colour and those naff looking wheels need replacing as well......Get me a real XJ-S an' i'll 'ave a go....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice restoration job.There is a cheaper and more eco friendly alternative to Nitromors.good old Dettol household disinfectant. I've used it to strip paint from Dinky and Lledo/Vanguard die-cast cars and oil paint  and Humbrol enamel from plastic kit parts.After a few hours the paint goes a sort of toffee-like consistency and can be removed under running water by brushing with an old toothbrush.After use the paint released into the Dettol graduallysinks to the bottom of the container so you can use it again after a week or so..Dirt cheap and effective.Only caveat is to check plastic kit parts regularly as leaving them in too long can soften them.A quick run under the cold tap usually restores them to original consistency.

Edited by woody123
  • Like 1