Monogram's F-86F With a Few Tweaks: Corsair cockpit

DMC

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Scribing:

Not re-scribing as there wasn't any on this kit to begin with (as many of you already know).  I used an Xacto blade with about half a mil of the tip snapped off, a stout sewing needle in a pin vice and one of those small razor saw blades.  For reference I used the Haynes Owner's Manual on the F-86 and diagrams from the Warbird Tech book on the F-86 dayfighters. There are a lot of access and inspection panels on this airplane and at first I went at it too quickly but screwed things up in a few places (easily repairable with Mr Surfacer, however) so had to slow it down a little.  There is just no quick way to do it without making a mess out of it, at least for me anyhow.  The panel lines are whitish because I just left the sanding dust in place.   I have another Monogram F-86 that I hope to get to one of these days so the panel templates will come in handy then.

SNB10251.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking

Dennis

That scoop on the fuselage (above the wing) in the bottom LH pic;  it should face aft, not fwd. It is a vent not a scoop.

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very nice modelling skills going on here,top job

Glynn

Thanks for that, Glynn, really appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

That scoop on the fuselage (above the wing) in the bottom LH pic;  it should face aft, not fwd. It is a vent not a scoop.

Cheers, Tony

DRAT!  Not sure how that happened, Tony.  Filled the original scoop in so I could move it over a couple of mm to fit the relocated panel.  Not paying attention I suppose.

Anyway, thanks.  Easy to fix.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Got a pretty good start on the cockpit since my last post.  The seat was a bit of trouble as it was all guesswork regarding size.  Made a few adjustments as I went along and then finally did most of the rear (rails?) over again after I tripped over the following photograph:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=ByyBdS%2fU&id=D665745491737DA4BDB4C8CC8C8BD81AB93F2946&q=f-86+ejection+seat&simid=608014924902435356&selectedIndex=4&ajaxhist=0

SNB10254.jpg

SNB10256.jpg

The seat might be a little oversized but as most of it will be buried inside the fuselage I'm not too concerned.  Might even treat myself to a fret of cockpit brass (zoom?) on this one and save myself bags of time.  I've got one or two kits that I'd really like to get started on and in the near distance I see the big eight 0 bearing down on me like a runaway train.  Must hurry while I can still manipulate a scalpel and see what I'm do

Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Photobucket driving me to distraction so I'm getting these pics on quite time.  I'll add the commentary on in a few minutes. 

Okay, switched from my old PlayBook back to the laptop.  Just couldn't get PhotoBucket to quit with that blue circle business and get on with the pointy finger thingy. No doubt they do it on purpose to get us to go premium.

Anyway, decided I needed to make another set for the Sabre as I felt the first one was a little too big, and tall.  Canopy couldn't open or close.

First example, kit seat and second build.  Fits nicely in rebuilt cockpit with Monogram's ubiquitous pilot figure "Old Slim" in place.

SNB10267.jpg

Took a break from the Sabre after all the re-scribing and the seat re-building to mess around with the Revell/Monogram F4U-4 "toy like" kit.  New semi bucket seat, armour plating, instrument panel, and so on.   This is it for now as I want to get back to the Sabre.  Still quite a bit to do on it.

SNB10268.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by DMC
Commentary added
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Val said:

That seat is stunning! Top work!

2 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

Lovely job sprucing up the cockpit!

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Dennis

11 hours ago, per ardua ad ostentationem said:

My hat's off to you, Dennis. Excellent construction work. This will be 50% scratched by the finish!

Kind words.  Thank you, Don

Cheers,

Dennis