MFH Gulf Porsche 917K 1/24th vs Fujimi Martini Porsche 917K

Borez

• 3 weeks later...

I have returned from working in Dubai and New Zealand .

Back to the model and a continuation of the MFH wiring. Got a lot done today even though I'm suffering from jet lag after 29 hours of travel over the last few days.

So, the right had side ignition wiring was completed this morning.

IMG_6787.jpg

And then the left hand side, first six ignition leads

IMG_6798.jpg

trying to thread the clips was fun, kinda like threading 6 needles at a time.

IMG_6793.jpg

And then the last six ignition lines

IMG_6802.jpg

Top view

IMG_6807.jpg

Then onto the fuel lines

I pre-threaded them around the fan housing first. Those fan housing clips ( especially threading in the third wire ) are a lesson in patience.

IMG_6818.jpg

And fitted the whole assemble wired in one go.

IMG_6820.jpg

I pre-wired the right hand side, then it was just a matter of plumbing it all in.

IMG_6821.jpg

So pretty much a wired MFH engine. ( I bumped the highlights and shadows here so you can see all of the detail )

IMG_6836.jpg

IMG_6835.jpg

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6833.jpg

But... then I came to install the velocity stacks and they disintegrated as I took them off the sprue

IMG_6826.jpg

I mean, I did colour wash them but only with Acrylic so no idea why this has happened or what to do about them as they're completely unusable. I might ask MFH if I can buy some more and then just leave them their original colour or maybe find a way of scratching some new ones.

But yeah, the MFH engine is nearly complete apart from a few bits and pieces.

Decent days modelling, even with the jet lag.

Thanks for looking in :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Oh well Borez, things were going so well.

The engine looks a dream mate.

Were the stacks plastic or resin?

Good to see you back safely .

Simon.

The stacks were resin. No idea what would disintegrate them this way, tis a mystery?

Edit: I sent a message to MFH, we'll see what they say about them.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

Man, this is kind of like a kick in the nuts after all that fantastic work on the engine to have the velocity stacks disintegrate like that! It's good to see you back and on this build; I wondered what happened. Since I have this kit I am particularly interested in your build and I'm sure that I will steal, err borrow, your ideas and techniques. I'm about ready to embark on a new build soon it's going to be an exercise in patience as well. 

• Like 1

MFH engine now has its gearbox

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6865.jpg

All that's needed now ( apart from a solution to the velocity stacks ) are the exhausts which were sprayed this morning. I painted the exhausts for both engines at the same time.

A plethora of sausage bits.

IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

And then there's the Fujimi engine which needs to be wired. Distributors and fuel assembly are now fitted. Bit of a contrast to the MFH engine.

IMG_6875_1.jpg

IMG_6872_1.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

And that's it for now really, waiting on bits and pieces to dry and then I'll start on wiring no.2 engine. I couldn't find a decent fit with white wire for the fuel lines ( I did buy some 0.4mm white wire but it's too stiff for the threading jobs ) so I'm going with 0.3mm fishing line on this engine.

Also did a test fit into the rear frame with the MFH engine last night ( forgot to take to take pics )  it's one hell of a tight fit, but it goes.

Plenty to be getting on with really.

Thanks for looking in. :)

• Like 5

Great job Borez, welcome back.  This velocity thing is a piece of cake for you.

At your level, and in your place i would go for @Hamden 's recommendation. This engine deserves better quality stacks, and these mettalic trumpets are just the must.

• Like 1

The engines look great. I've just managed to(finally) pick one of the historic racing miniatures 917 engines up as well for a future build so I will be seeing what mods need to be made to make it all work with Fujimis hard to love kit. 

Shaun

• Like 1

So yesterday the MFH exhausts had my life. They fit no problem as separate parts in the test fitting,  once together though they just would not fit. At all.

What should have been an easy 10 min job of gluing in 6 pegs into 6 holes turned into a 3 hour job with me walking away from sheer frustration a couple of times. Just tiny bends to alter the pipes to get them to fit had me tearing my hair out and, of course, bending the pipes ruined the paint job.

Anyway I eventually got them on and then patched up the paint as best I could. I'm not 100% on the paint, but they're under the car and not seen so I'll live with it. Striping them all back and starting again was not an option really either as it would have bent the white metal way out of shape. I'd have been back to square one with the same problem.

So... those damned exhausts.

IMG_6880_1.jpg

Anyway onto today. Im still surprisingly jet lagged after New Zealand so I was basically up at 6am, had nothing better to do, so did some ( far more successful than yesterday ) work on the model.

Rear tailpipes and bracket now fitted.

IMG_6934.jpg

Macro shot of tail pipes

IMG_6930.jpg

Which pretty much means ( apart from the velocity stacks and some tidying up ) that the MFH is virtually complete.

IMG_6931_1.jpg

IMG_6939.jpg

I'll do a proper photoshoot of both the engine together once the Fujimi trans kit engine is complete.

I then plumbed in half the fuel lines around the fan housing. There's a lot of the MFH PE brackets that I didn't use ( they give you quite a few options for the wiring ) so I'm utilising them on the Fujimi engine.  MFH should sell these PE parts separately, they're damn useful.

I've decided to use 4mm fishing wire for the lines on this engine. The white 0.4mm piping wire is just too stiff to even think about using.

Plumbing under the fan housing

IMG_6901_3.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

And top view. The fan had been painted and is ready to go in too. 

IMG_6912.jpg

Interesting this, I also bought MFH 0.4mm red piping cord to wire this engine but it's too stiff to be usable as it has actual wire down its core so I switched to MFH 0.28mm piping cord instead which you'd think would be easy to work with but it's proving to be difficult as it's very springy. It's also too small for the holes so you have to glue them in and then leave or they'll just spring straight out meaning that wiring the Fujimi engine is taking a lot more time than the MFH.

The wire that came with the MFH engine though is 0.4mm without the core so it's perfect but they don't seem to sell it separately which is annoying.

Anyway, this is where the trans kit engine is at present. I've abandoned it for now, I'm feeling tired again and, to be honest, I've had enough of tiny wires and fuel lines for one morning.

IMG_6909.jpg

So yeah, getting there. Slowly.

Thanks for looking in.  :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 7

At least you have hair to pull out Borez.

Both engines look very nice indeed mate.

As for the use of fishing line, why not.

It comes in different thicknesses and colours come to that.

Cheaper too, for the amount you get.

I will let you sleep on.

Simon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PC2012 said:

Sublime work there mate. Any news of the velocity stacks yet? Superb work on the wiring - and I thought mine was difficult! :)

Thanks.

No, haven't heard anything from MFH. I'm thinking I'll just scratch some from FIMO clay though, they do a translucent orange which should be perfect. I mean, they're only essentially a ring around the top of the air intake so shouldn't be that difficult to make.

I've ordered some to try anyway.

Edited by Borez

Dear god Borez, that's a lot of exhaust to cram in such a small space.

Your work bringing the trans kit engine up to the standard of the mfh engine is sublime.

Wish I could work like you do.

You have my sympathy with the exhausts, as I was tearing my hair out too, trying to fit the exhausts on my revell enzo I'm building. 

Matt

• Like 1

Just a small update really, I found something called tiger tail wire on ebay, it's 0.38mm and you can get it in a variety of colours.

s-l1600.jpg

Basically I ordered some, it came the yesterday and it's perfect for wiring at 1/24th scale. Not too stiff, not too springy.

So out came the fishing wire fuel lines I did the other days and in went the tiger tail wire instead. I just felt that you couldn't see the clear fishing wire very well at all.

Much better definition and contrast with the white fuel lines here:

IMG_6946.jpg

IMG_6947.jpg

Underneath and pretty much ready to install into the fuel pump assembly and then tidy up.

IMG_6945.jpg

IMG_6944.jpg

And that's it for now, kinda wish I'd discovered this stuff before I wired the ignition leads into the Fujimi engine, the springy wire has proved very difficult to install.

It's nearly all done though.

Thanks for looking in :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 6

Both those engine/gearbox combinations look the bee's knees.

Have you booked the dyno yet? they look as if they ready to run!

Roger 

• Like 1

Ah, good service from MFH. Tiger tails on the engine? Never thought that would happen. They look good, though.

Great work Borez!

I've been quietly watching your progress and making a few notes along the way. I've got the MFH 917-023 1972 LM winning car and haven't yet plucked up the courage to start building (as you can guess from my username, until now I've been exclusively an armour modeller). Good tip on the fuel line wire as well, I've been looking for something suitable for a pair of Hasegawa Ferrari 312s I've bought. 

I eagerly await your next update. 

P.S. here are some photos I took of various 917s at last years Goodwood Members meet:

IMG_2227_zpsgrvb67ij.jpg

IMG_2225_zpsjcmkv8zx.jpg

IMG_2224_zpsn0xhwoua.jpg

IMG_2233_zps5a1vbmvu.jpg

IMG_2231_zps00umkeoa.jpg

IMG_2213_zpsfutrueer.jpg

IMG_2218_zps8bcxg2ea.jpg

IMG_2215_zpshvt6htx8.jpg

IMG_2222_zpsegq7rsuv.jpg

IMG_2221_zps7baw7srn.jpg

IMG_2242_zpsxowrcdir.jpg

And their track rivals, the Ferrari 512: