MFH Gulf Porsche 917K 1/24th vs Fujimi Martini Porsche 917K

Borez

.I lost only one of them but i need to do it two times .First they where not at 90 degres and parrallel to each other .I put everything in acetone and glue them again with a big magnified glass.

The car is now almost finished i wait the spa classic in mai to take pictures of the real 917k.I dont find pictures of the left side of the engine bay to connect the pump and the oil reservoir. 

• Like 1

Check also before mounting the wheels that the screw holding them are not to long.On my kit when i screwed them to hold the front wheels they pushed again the back and the brake disk was unglued (sorry for my poor english).

• Like 1

So just some minor bits and pieces as I've been away working again.

The repaired fujimi sidepods 2k'd and now looking a lot better than a week or so ago.

IMG_8306.jpg

IMG_8307.jpg

And a test fit of the MFH sidepods, no apparent problems with these.

IMG_8309.jpg

The complete extended inner wheel arch on the Fujimi ( the piece that took me way longer than I wanted )

IMG_8308.jpg

And some detailing on the Fujimi firewall. ( this as well as the MFH firewal will be given an oil treatment )

IMG_8314_1.jpg

And then onto he silverware  ( or... the various metal tanks and side-pod inserts of both cars. )

Primed

IMG_8313.jpg

And then sprayed with Alclad aluminium ( straight over the primer, I don't want them too shiny )

IMG_8777.jpg

IMG_8778.jpg

IMG_8768.jpg

Then ( on the MFH parts )  to try and get a more realistic look to them as opposed to just square boxes, I basically sanded a tiny part of the edges and corners back to the white metal to give them contrast. Very subtle, but I think they catch the light better at a distance.

IMG_8796.jpg

Then some detailing and oil treatment on one or two of the tanks.

IMG_8813.jpg

The straps will be painted on this tank.

IMG_8806.jpg

Oil treatment on the MFH fuel  tank. The rivets are very tempting but I have no clue what size I'd need ( if anyone can help out here? ) I mean, it's not that necessary, the part does look riveted as is. But I'm tempted.

IMG_8802.jpg

Also in the middle of detailing up the second set of MFH distributors. I added the metal banding as an extra detail.

IMG_8780.jpg

And the start of scratch building the non-existent ones for the Fujimi

IMG_8781.jpg

And that's it for now really, just little bits of detailing here and there before I start assembling the Fujimi rear frame and dropping in the engine + detailing up the rest of the MFH rear frame. 

I have a few days off now +  Ms Borez is away on a yoga retreat in Portugal so hopefully I can get a lot done over the next couple of days. "Hopefully" being the key word really.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Borez said:

The straps will be painted on this tank.

IMG_8806.jpg

I 've this extra tank piece from the engine trans kit and can't for the life of me figure out where it is ment to go as there is little to no space available in the car. Do you know where it goes? 

Shaun 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shood23 said:

I 've this extra tank piece from the engine trans kit and can't for the life of me figure out where it is ment to go as there is little to no space available in the car. Do you know where it goes? 

Shaun 

You know what Shaun, that is a very, very good point. Where the hell does that piece actually go?

I actually forgot I tried to work it out the other week and couldn't.  Now of the builds I've seen with the transkit engine in them reference it either on closer inspection.

Answers on a postcard please to...

MFH fuel tank rivets?

I'd be tempted to drill out the holes,

insert stretched sprue, glue with

extra thin, then sand until they are

just proud of the panel.

But that's just me. Details, details....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Borez said:

You know what Shaun, that is a very, very good point. Where the hell does that piece actually go?

I actually forgot I tried to work it out the other week and couldn't.  Now of the builds I've seen with the transkit engine in them reference it either on closer inspection.

Answers on a postcard please to...

I've seen somewhere that it's for a bigger fuel tank but I have seen no 917k or lh reference that it goes on. My thoughts were that maybe it's for a 917/10 or 30 but I'm not sure as the I can't find any pictures of the real car with it. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shood23 said:

I've seen somewhere that it's for a bigger fuel tank but I have seen no 917k or lh reference that it goes on. My thoughts were that maybe it's for a 917/10 or 30 but I'm not sure as the I can't find any pictures of the real car with it. 

Shaun 

Ahh OK, that actually makes a lot of sense. If you look at this Le Mans 1971 pic from the factory team the 917 at the front of the pic does indeed have a much larger fuel tank.

17952688_10212427697909667_9138770443686

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

Hmm they do seem to have a larger tank in the closest car but not the martini car. Also are they tanks being the rear wheels on the pink pig or something else. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shood23 said:

Hmm they do seem to have a larger tank in the closest car but not the martini car. Also are they tanks being the rear wheels on the pink pig or something else. 

Shaun 

Not sure on the Pig, maybe just a weight.

The trans kit spare tank fit is exactly the same length and width of that space over the side-pod though so it must be just a larger tank if you want to use it.

So I've been getting on with the small details and some test fitting.

The Fujimi firewall is nearly done complete with the scratched distributors

IMG_8841.jpg

And then a look at the front end. I'll need to scratch build a radiator and various details like the brake fluid bottles on this.

IMG_8839.jpg

The front framework is all pretty much done now, it just needs various bits painting. I'm not replacing the battery, I think the one built in will paint and detail nicely.

IMG_8846.jpg

A fitting of the rear frame with the side tanks

IMG_8843.jpg

IMG_8840.jpg

And one with the larger fuel tank ( for Shaun ) which I won't be using.

IMG_8851.jpg

Top view

IMG_8847.jpg

with the top frame fitted.

IMG_8852.jpg

IMG_8855.jpg

with the engine

IMG_8836.jpg

Now that I know it's all fitting nicely I'll pull out the mid sections ( the white ones ) and spray them German Grey and associated framework Nato black. The footwell will be lined with silver paper and given an oil treatment + the pedals need to go in there too.

The MFH fuel filters have had there pipes fitted ( pin for scale ) Love the detail on these, very fiddly to do but well worth the effort.

IMG_8822.jpg

I'll be scratching these on the Fujimi which should be fun.

And that's it for now. Steady progress but it's all coming together nicely. 

Thanks for looking.

Edit: Inner floor pieces now sprayed and ready for detailing

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8858.jpg

Edited by Borez
  • Like 5

On 3/28/2017 at 0:30 PM, Borez said:

Back again.

Some more test fitting today before I painted the frame. Just making sure at this stage the wheel covers were fitting correctly. A little cutting was needed but they fit no problem.

IMG_7638.jpg

IMG_7639.jpg

A test of the rear bodywork over my scratch work.

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

A quick look with the whole body on.

IMG_7646.jpg

Actually starting to look like a 917K here.

IMG_7648.jpg

Frame out of the car

IMG_7651.jpg

Very surprised at how well all of my scratch work is fitting together here, I guess I'm getting used to nothing what so ever fitting on the MFH.

I also built a small frame that will hold the strange extra lightweight wooden resistors that some of the 917's had.

IMG_7637.jpg

You can see them here on the real car. I'm in the process of scratchbuilding the actual resistors themselves.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-28%20at%2017.11.

Here on the MFH build

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-28%20at%2017.15.

Then it was onto painting the frame and bits that go with it all.  ( sitting here on a plastic shot glass you can see how small the frame actually is. )

IMG_7663.jpg

Fujimi top frame part

IMG_7665.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

Extra Fujimi parts

IMG_7670.jpg

That's it really, just waiting for the frame to dry, I'll give it all a coat of flat clear, detail it up with the distributors etc. and then it's good to go. 

Thanks for looking in.

Someone builds guitar pedals too by the looks of this....

• Like 1

OK, so I have a bit of free time at the moment so I can get some bits done.

Today has been various bits of priming and painting.

Started on the Fujimi cockpit section.

This piece.

IMG_8859.jpg

I did actually hand paint the framework of this section a couple of days ago and really didn't like how it looked so I sprayed over it all and masked it up.  A bit of overkill I know but I want it right.

IMG_9439.jpg

Then sprayed Nato Black with a few other bits and pieces from both cars.

IMG_9447.jpg

Once sprayed though the result is so much better than my hand painting. Definitely worth the effort.

IMG_9452.jpg

IMG_9458.jpg

Just needs detailing up really which brings us to the fire extinguishers and seats.

A look at both fire extinguishers

First the Fujimi

IMG_9462.jpg

And the MFH

IMG_9463.jpg

Sprayed red this afternoon.  I'll detail both over the next couple of days.

IMG_9464.jpg

IMG_9466.jpg

Also the seats for both cars.

Cut some harness holes in the Fujimi seat.

IMG_9441.jpg

Then Primed

IMG_9448.jpg

And painted ( still wet here )

IMG_9473.jpg

Also primed the MFH sidepods

IMG_9449.jpg

So a fair bit done today.

So many parts to work on detailing both of these cars.

Couple of pics of some of the prepped and semi prepped parts that are sitting in my drawers.  MFH on the left, Fujimi on the right.

IMG_9444.jpg

IMG_9442.jpg

Some of the MFH parts on the left that I haven't even touched yet. There are more parts than this too like the engines, framework section of the MFH and Fujimi bodywork and doors.

IMG_9445.jpg

So yes, still very much a work in progress.

And that's it for today.

Thanks for looking in :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 4