MFH Gulf Porsche 917K 1/24th vs Fujimi Martini Porsche 917K

Borez

12 minutes ago, Borez said:

OK, back from another weekend working. 

Whilst I wait for some paint to be delivered so I can get on with the MFH firewall I thought I'd return today to the scratch built Fujimi rear engine frame and get it up to the same level as the MFH.

Out came the sections I'd already built for a quick test fit to remind me of where I was with this and how it was all going to eventually fit together.

Rear firewall section and one side of the engine cage.

IMG_7594_1.jpg

And then a test fit with the Fujimi top section around the engine.

IMG_7593.jpg

IMG_7592.jpg

As with the MFH frame it's very snug but the engine does fit.

IMG_7591.jpg

Then some extra detailing on the frame sides.

IMG_7596.jpg

Also added a bolt to the cross brace on both frames.

IMG_7599.jpg

Then Plastiwelded the sides to the firewall section making sure it was all square.

IMG_7604.jpg

Added the cross-braces.

IMG_7611.jpg

And then a test fit with the engine and rear engine mounting plate. So far so good.

IMG_7616.jpg

The top of the frame will be completed by a Fujimi part shown below which also holds the rear engine mounting plate, spare wheel and rear down vents. 

IMG_7585.jpg

And then another test fit of the frame in the chassis.

IMG_7617.jpg

IMG_7618.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

And a side by side with the MFH frame.

IMG_7624.jpg

And finally a test fit of the frame with rear engine mounting plate and the Fujimi top.

IMG_7627.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

My original intention was to build the frame so it purposely lifts out the chassis as one section for spraying and detailing and it's worked out pretty nicely if I do say so myself.

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7630.jpg

All that remains is to add a few more details, clean up the plastiweld residue, weld it all together, prime and paint.

Pretty pleased with this progress. Good afternoons work really.

Thanks for looking in.

Bumping this as it's gone onto another page :)

• Like 3

Back again.

Some more test fitting today before I painted the frame. Just making sure at this stage the wheel covers were fitting correctly. A little cutting was needed but they fit no problem.

IMG_7638.jpg

IMG_7639.jpg

A test of the rear bodywork over my scratch work.

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

A quick look with the whole body on.

IMG_7646.jpg

Actually starting to look like a 917K here.

IMG_7648.jpg

Frame out of the car

IMG_7651.jpg

Very surprised at how well all of my scratch work is fitting together here, I guess I'm getting used to nothing what so ever fitting on the MFH.

I also built a small frame that will hold the strange extra lightweight wooden resistors that some of the 917's had.

IMG_7637.jpg

You can see them here on the real car. I'm in the process of scratchbuilding the actual resistors themselves.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-28%20at%2017.11.

Here on the MFH build

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-28%20at%2017.15.

Then it was onto painting the frame and bits that go with it all.  ( sitting here on a plastic shot glass you can see how small the frame actually is. )

IMG_7663.jpg

Fujimi top frame part

IMG_7665.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

Extra Fujimi parts

IMG_7670.jpg

That's it really, just waiting for the frame to dry, I'll give it all a coat of flat clear, detail it up with the distributors etc. and then it's good to go. 

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 4

Borez, do you know more on those resistors? What do they do? I know, what a resistor is - I just cannot imagine why they would roll their own.

I really love seeing this all coming together step by step. Very impressing work.

Edited by Schwarz-Brot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Borez, do you know more on those resistors? What do they do? I know, what a resistor is - I just cannot imagine why they would roll their own.

I really love seeing this all coming together step by step. Very impressing work.

Apparently a high wattage resistor that saved weight in the car.

I shall consult my large book of knowledge and see what I can find out. There's some brief info on them here though.

• Like 1

Some really great work on that spider web of a cage around the engine! You've done a great job fabricating all that out of plastic rod and it fits nicely under the body. I have a 1/24 Fujimi 917 Gulf Oil version started in my stash so, I'll definitely be bookmarking this for reference. 

• Like 1

Hello

My name is Thierry and a live in Belgium .I was searching for pictures of the  mfh porsche 917k 1/24 when i have found your site.Since decembre 2016  i am also building the kit .The kit i too difficult for me but i am trying to finish it.

Lots of pieces dont fit and  each part of the kit is a problem.The last one was the decals wich where difficult to apply and then broke .I asked a second set of decals to mfh and they send me an other one but it was the same.

So even the paint is good theyre is some cracked decals..Here is a link to see some pictures.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l26lhqfo0sc1mth/AABq5b6-3Fkh3ak_QAK44VI2a?dl=0

You can see that the body is difficult to fix on the chassis.It is better to check if all fits correctly befote painting. 

Edited by Thierry242
adding text

21 minutes ago, Thierry242 said:

Hello

My name is Thierry and a live in Belgium .I was searching for pictures of the  mfh porsche 917k 1/24 when i have found your site.Since decembre 2016  i am also building the kit .The kit i too difficult for me but i am trying to finish it.

Lots of pieces dont fit and  each part of the kit is a problem.The last one was the decals wich where difficult to apply and then broke .I asked a second set of decals to mfh and they send me an other one but it was the same.

So even the paint is good theyre is some cracked decals..Here is a link to see some pictures.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l26lhqfo0sc1mth/AABq5b6-3Fkh3ak_QAK44VI2a?dl=0

You can see that the body is difficult to fix on the chassis.It is better to check if all fits correctly befote painting. 

Thanks Thierry and hello. 

I agree, this is a very difficult kit when it comes to part fitment. I've had all sorts of issues. I expect I have a lot more to come. Thanks for the great pics though, I'll have a proper look through them later.

So a small update from what I was hoping to be a big update.

Basically I spent way too much time extending the front wheel arch and sides on the Fujimi so it meets the top of the bodywork last week.

IMG_8050.jpg

IMG_8051.jpg

What looks like it should have been a straightforward piece of plasticard turned into 5 separate pieces ( well 10 if you count both sides ) due to the varying angles of the underlying Fujimi piece which, of course, meant epoxying the pieces in individually, then white putty, then sanding and shaping then more white putty and more sanding, shaping and generally getting it to look half decent before I primed the whole chassis. I actually scrapped the pieces twice and started again.

So anyway, I primed the deck and took another look, and then sanded it some more.

IMG_8202.jpg

Anyway, It looked half decent once I got the coat of German grey over the primer ( sorry, forgot to take a pic of it finished )

Masked it all off to spray the white side pods then ordered the Martini white paint and some semi gloss 2K. ( I'm going with semi gloss satin finish on both cars for that 1970's look )

IMG_8203.jpg

It all arrives this morning. Splendid stuff.

IMG_8206.jpg

Anyway I was hoping to have it all sprayed and 2K'd by the end of the day so I can finally start dropping in the rear frame and engine. 

4th coat of lovely white paint goes on flawlessly and then this happens.

IMG_8208.jpg

As I was turning around to put down the airbrush the elbow of my jumper snags on the work bench and my latex glove covered hand goes right through the damn paint!

You couldn't make it up.

Poop! :badmood:

Anyway I guess I wait until it dries, sand it all off and start again.

I'll get my coat.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I think it rhymes with something you put oars into...

Don`t you just hate that, especially as the paint can be quite expensive.

Still mate, coming along nicely.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, it'll be fine once it's all sanded back.

2 minutes ago, shood23 said:

Oh no it was all going so well. I kind of feel bad now for being 1 part away from finishing. 

Shaun 

Nice to see yours is nearly done, I've got a long way to go yet with these two cars. No rush really ;) 

• Like 1

I see by all the updates that we've all been beavering away today :)

Anyway, my repaired sidepods. All painted up and 2k'd.

IMG_8295.jpg

I must admit I'm loving the satin ( semi gloss ) 2K, it's really nice looking and goes on like a dream.

IMG_8292.jpg

Today however was all about the MFH firewall section which needed to be completed before I can attach the front section to the rear with this build.

So, lots of little detailing.

IMG_8282.jpg

The rear window. MFH don't give you a piece for this, they give you a template and a piece of clear plastic. You make your own. 

So the template

IMG_8284.jpg

Cut the template out, put the clear plastic on a piece of paraffin film to protect it and cover the top with masking tape

IMG_8286.jpg

Then it was just a case of cutting it out.

IMG_8285.jpg

Not perfect but not bad.

IMG_8288.jpg

There's also an inner sliding bit which I've already made two of but I'm not happy with either to be honest so I'll return to it at a later date.

IMG_8289.jpg

Window was glue in with Mirco Krystal Klear. Then it was a case of screwing the firewall to the rear frame and attaching the two absolutely tiny distributor coils I've also been detailing up today.

IMG_8291.jpg

IMG_8296.jpg

So yeah, a fair bit done today, pleased with the progress.

Now it's a case of attaching the MFH rear to the front of the car and screwing it all in

Anyway, I'm off to eat a very nice Lamb Kleftico I've had cooking for 5 hours ;)

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 3

So, another update before I turn it in for the day.

I was going to leave this until tomorrow but got too excited by the prospect and decided to join the front to the back.

I'd already test fitted and pre-tapped all of the screw holes so it was a case of 5 no. 1.4mm x 3mm screws and it all went together perfectly.

So after a lot of prep work it was finally back meets front, front meets back. I also provisionally dropped in the front frame assembly to have a look too.

IMG_8300.jpg

IMG_8302.jpg

IMG_8301.jpg

Also seen here are the newly painted wooden resistors

IMG_8299.jpg

IMG_8305.jpg

IMG_8304.jpg

Now that this job is done I can really get my teeth into detailing up the rear of the car.

To be honest I've been feeling a little de-motivated with this build of late ( there's just so much to do taking on both builds at the same time. I literally have 4 drawers full of prepped and un-prepped parts )  getting this job done today is the new found enthusiasm I've been looking for.

Onward and upwards :)

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Thierry242 said:

be carefull not to scartch the resistor down .I lost mine yesterday 

I have to scratch build another one of those for the Fujimi build.

I noticed that you'd actually managed to fit those tiny PE heat-sinks on the firewall Thierry. Those things had my life, they're difficult to see never mind fit. I lost a few of them too. Fair play to you sir. :thumbsup: 

Edited by Borez