MFH Gulf Porsche 917K 1/24th vs Fujimi Martini Porsche 917K

Borez

On 11/03/2017 at 10:30 AM, afv_rob said:

Great work Borez!

I've been quietly watching your progress and making a few notes along the way. I've got the MFH 917-023 1972 LM winning car and haven't yet plucked up the courage to start building (as you can guess from my username, until now I've been exclusively an armour modeller). Good tip on the fuel line wire as well, I've been looking for something suitable for a pair of Hasegawa Ferrari 312s I've bought. 

I eagerly await your next update. 

P.S. here are some photos I took of various 917s at last years Goodwood Members meet:

IMG_2227_zpsgrvb67ij.jpg

IMG_2225_zpsjcmkv8zx.jpg

IMG_2224_zpsn0xhwoua.jpg

IMG_2233_zps5a1vbmvu.jpg

IMG_2231_zps00umkeoa.jpg

IMG_2213_zpsfutrueer.jpg

IMG_2218_zps8bcxg2ea.jpg

IMG_2215_zpshvt6htx8.jpg

IMG_2222_zpsegq7rsuv.jpg

IMG_2221_zps7baw7srn.jpg

IMG_2242_zpsxowrcdir.jpg

And their track rivals, the Ferrari 512:

IMG_2235_zpsfdsbrcfo.jpg

Superb pictures there mate. Makes we want to build the Ferrari 512S too. I know MFH did a kit of this car but  it looks like it's now discontinued.

• Like 1

My pleasure Borez. I'd love a kit of the 512 as well but I think alas it's long OOP, there was a chap on another forum selling some cheap as chips this weekend past, but it looks like they all got snapped up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, afv_rob said:

My pleasure Borez. I'd love a kit of the 512 as well but I think alas it's long OOP, there was a chap on another forum selling some cheap as chips this weekend past, but it looks like they all got snapped up.

Was that the Modellismo stash?

I caught the facebook thread Sun morning on my way back from work at 4am, went to buy but was too late.

Opportunity missed and then some.  :blink:

Edited by Borez

I apologise for the lack of updates, I'm a little busy working at the minute so I'm getting bits in when I can.

So... first off this from MFH. ( New velocity stacks )  MFH have been great with sending stuff out.

IMG_7034.jpg

The velocity stacks were not quite as fragile as the last lot, although still extremely fragile to remove from the sprue. Now fitted to the MFH though.

And the wiring on the Fujimi transkit is now complete too.

To get the top section of the transkit to fit though was a night in the vice and epoxy.

For anyone building this transkit in the future, be warned, this top section is not easy to fit at all. It's just slightly too small to go over the top of the air intakes. In other words, its a PITA to fit.

IMG_7040.jpg

Anyway I got it fitted and then it was time to wire in the fuel lines. They still need a tidy here and there , but they're all in.

IMG_7065.jpg

Some detailing on the fan using an oil wash to give it that dirty raced look. ( my first experiment with oil washing really, much nicer effect than acrylic washing I'm thinking )

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_7055.jpg

And fitted ( air intakes still need aligning here )

IMG_7069.jpg

And a couple more shots of the wired engine

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7066.jpg

And then a test fit of the exhausts. Refreshing after the utter drama with the MFH exhausts that these things literally just drop in no bother at all.

IMG_7045.jpg

And a first real look at the two engines together.

IMG_7076.jpg

IMG_7077.jpg

IMG_7075.jpg

For anyone who's interested. Where it says frame in the last pic, it's basically so I don't forget that the Fujimi frame I scratched is all sitting under the cutting mat keeping it flat.

I must admit though that halfway though the second engine I was like, so whose stupid idea exactly was it to build two 1/24th 917 engines at the same time? Porsche definitely weren't thinking about modellers when they designed this 12 cylinder beast. that's for sure ;)

But, I think it was worth the effort. Just got to build two cars around them now. :blink:

So yeah, just a few more bits and pieces to complete the Fujimi engine and I'm going to look at dropping the MFH engine into its completed frame and then building up the Fujimi frame ( which is mostly scratched already )  for the transkit engine to fit into.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

What a lovely pair Borez Fnar Fnar.

They both look works of art mate.

The oil washes are the way to go, I use a lot when weathering etc.

Looking forward to your next update.

Simon.

Thanks mate.

I've been really wary of oil washes before, people talk of the thinners ruining acrylic paint but I had no problems in the few tests I did. They're definitely they way forward for bringing up detail and way easier than the acrylic washes that give a powdery finish once dry.

I'm sold really, especially for oily engine parts.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

A tip for using oil washes.....after a time they will go flat...once the thinner has evaporated and the 'oil' in the paint has fully dried...so...if your looking to retain a sheen...use a couple of drops of satin varnish (enamel) in your wash ;)

Ron

• Like 1

Bit of a pic heavy post this one but photo shoot of the now completed engines together.

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005_1.jpg

IMG_0004_1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Right, now to build the rest of the two cars. 

Thanks for looking in. ;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

So beautiful. Works of art, even without the cars around them. Perfect photography as well. Both thumbs up!

The Transkit quality is quite impressive compared to the MFH one where top notch quality is a must.

Thanks mate, the photography was quite difficult in the fact that the mirror finish black plastic base attracts and shows up every single spec of dust and my loft studio is quite a dusty environment to start with. I could only get a few shots off before it just looked awful and needed cleaning again. You can see the bits in some of the photos. I mean, I could shop them out but I'd be on all day ;)

The transkit detail is not as nice as the MFH up close, but it's a really nice kit regardless. Apart from a few fitting issues I had with it I'm really pleased.

Jeez I can only second what's been said. Those engine look top notch. And it is easily noticeable which is which now, the mfh one just has so much more minute detail than the hrm one. 

Shaun

• Like 1

Borez , I can only echo the sentiments from above, fantastic work, true museum pieces in their on right.

One thing I would of done was to dirty up the inside of the tail pipes a little, but as a factory fresh, spot on.

Simon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Borez , I can only echo the sentiments from above, fantastic work, true museum pieces in their on right.

One thing I would of done was to dirty up the inside of the tail pipes a little, but as a factory fresh, spot on.

Simon.

I may actually do this yet with a bit of black oil paint. For sure.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Borez said:

I may actually do this yet with a bit of black oil paint. For sure.

Sorry Borez, I did not want to look picky or anything.

Try Tamiya`s weathering powders if you can get it inside the pipes.

Simon.

• Like 1

They both are looking great. Funny that the dimensions and details of the gearbox differ that much.

Well done and very nicely photographed.

• Like 1

OK,  now the engines are pretty much done it's on to part 2.

First off, mating the engine with the rear frame.

I mean, talk about tight fit, but I have rehearsed this several times over the course of the build so basically it went straight in no bother at all. Didn't even scratch the paint :)

So frame meet engine, engine meet frame.

IMG_7221.jpg

IMG_7224.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

And a test of the firewall/bulkhead

IMG_7229.jpg

Now, the next bit I was worried about. Basically I stupidly dropped the engine from some height a week or so ago ( another victim of working late into the night ) and it was saved by landing on this little tab.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-22%20at%2016.04.

The tab snapped completely off but totally saved the engine from any damage ( very lucky really, I didn't even want to look on the floor )

As I had to epoxy the tab back on ( it's the main aligning connection between the whole engine mounting and the front of the car )  I was pretty worried that it would no long line up squarely.

But luckily it lines up no problem.

Note to self: be more bloody careful please!!

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-22%20at%2016.10.

I've already tested the fitting and tapped the threads weeks ago for this and also the screws that go though the firewall into the front section, so it's just a matter of screwing it all in now.

Here's a test fit of the parts together. ( the tab is slightly raised here, but that's because the engine sits back onto the firewall a little.  Thankfully it all fits well. )

IMG_7230.jpg

I'm thinking ( in my plan of action ) that it would probably be a good idea to detail the firewall before I go any further with joining these parts up.

So that's next on my to do list. Plus look at painting and assembling the Fujimi frame for the HRM engine.

And that's it for now.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 7

Looking great borez. I must say I am still stunned at how porsche managed to squeeze this big 12 cylinder into that little space in the framework. Watching the gunnar racing videos on YouTube it just looks way too big even when they get it out. 

Shaun

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, shood23 said:

Looking great borez. I must say I am still stunned at how porsche managed to squeeze this big 12 cylinder into that little space in the framework. Watching the gunnar racing videos on YouTube it just looks way too big even when they get it out. 

Shaun

I hear that. I'm also stunned to be honest with how thin and flimsy the original cars frame is compare to that power unit in the back, it literally is a shopping trolley with a whopping great flat 12 engine strapped in the back with nothing but a very thin fibreglass covering for protection. Especially when you consider that your feet were dangling over the front axle at 240mph. The more you read and the more you look at this car the more you realise it is just an utter deathtrap.

The men who drove this thing must have had some very large cojones.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Borez said:

I hear that. I'm also stunned to be honest with how thin and flimsy the original cars frame is compare to that power unit in the back, it literally is a shopping trolley with a whopping great flat 12 engine strapped in the back with nothing but a very thin fibreglass covering for protection. Especially when you consider that your feet were dangling over the front axle at 240mph. The more you read and the more you look at this car the more you realise it is just an utter deathtrap.

The men who drove this thing must have had some very large cojones.

Yeah I was looking into the frame bar thicknesses not long ago (for a future project hopefully) and I think I remember seeing that the thickness rod was about 1 and a half inches thick and the original roll hoop was too thin to withstand anything so they were forced to make changes in 71 I believe. When you talk about driving this beast at 240 down the mulsanne for the life of me I can't even figure out how the drivers got in the cars with cojones that big lol

Shaun

• Like 2

OK, back from another weekend working. 

Whilst I wait for some paint to be delivered so I can get on with the MFH firewall I thought I'd return today to the scratch built Fujimi rear engine frame and get it up to the same level as the MFH.

Out came the sections I'd already built for a quick test fit to remind me of where I was with this and how it was all going to eventually fit together.

Rear firewall section and one side of the engine cage.

IMG_7594_1.jpg

And then a test fit with the Fujimi top section around the engine.

IMG_7593.jpg

IMG_7592.jpg

As with the MFH frame it's very snug but the engine does fit.

IMG_7591.jpg

Then some extra detailing on the frame sides.

IMG_7596.jpg

Also added a bolt to the cross brace on both frames.

IMG_7599.jpg

Then Plastiwelded the sides to the firewall section making sure it was all square.

IMG_7604.jpg

Added the cross-braces.

IMG_7611.jpg

And then a test fit with the engine and rear engine mounting plate. So far so good.

IMG_7616.jpg

The top of the frame will be completed by a Fujimi part shown below which also holds the rear engine mounting plate, spare wheel and rear down vents. 

IMG_7585.jpg

And then another test fit of the frame in the chassis.

IMG_7617.jpg

IMG_7618.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

And a side by side with the MFH frame.

IMG_7624.jpg

And finally a test fit of the frame with rear engine mounting plate and the Fujimi top.

IMG_7627.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

My original intention was to build the frame so it purposely lifts out the chassis as one section for spraying and detailing and it's worked out pretty nicely if I do say so myself.

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7630.jpg

All that remains is to add a few more details, clean up the plastiweld residue, weld it all together, prime and paint.

Pretty pleased with this progress. Good afternoons work really.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 3