Fairey Barracuda

This is looking a lot better than my old FROG, currently in the Drawer of Doom.

I'm interested to see that you've painted a lot of the camouflage already; the colours look good :).

Best regards

TonyT

On 14/08/2017 at 3:29 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

This is looking a lot better than my old FROG, currently in the Drawer of Doom.

I'm interested to see that you've painted a lot of the camouflage already; the colours look good :).

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony. I checked the fit of the wings and it wasn't at all bad. I've found that this approach really good for getting a sharp demarcation on the wing front without spending lots of time with masking.

resized_087590bc-8e12-4db9-8574-ef8315a4

I was also keen to avoid complicated and time consuming masking in here.

resized_3bc99f32-ef51-40a9-b198-682eb6b6

On 14/08/2017 at 9:02 AM, CedB said:

Nice progress and good work with the painful filling and sanding :) 

Thanks Ced

• Like 3

A bit more work done, with joints tidied up and tailplanes on. I had to take the wings off and refit them as there was a prounounced droop on one wing which made the airframe seem twisted. A wee bit of work but looks fine now. 

resized_8faedd7e-f91c-4b9f-b585-3dfac57e

• Like 3

Coming along nicely.:thumbsup2:

If you're doing this with the gear down 825,  when you get to the point of sticking the undercarriage legs onto the triangular torsion box frame, it might we worth drilling both parts out and inserting a small length of metal tube(if you have it) to strengthen the structure. I regret not doing that on mine and the kit join is rather a weak one in that area for a load bearing joint.

Tony

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheBaron said:

If you're doing this with the gear down 825,  when you get to the point of sticking the undercarriage legs onto the triangular torsion box frame, it might we worth drilling both parts out and inserting a small length of metal tube(if you have it) to strengthen the structure. I regret not doing that on mine and the kit join is rather a weak one in that area for a load bearing joint.

Tony

Thanks for the advice Tony, I'll certainly look at doing this. I've seen other comments about there being a bit of a challenge in here in a couple of places. I also bought a set of SAC white metal undercarriage parts but haven't tested them out yet but that may be a solution as well. Though I've two Barras and only one set of SAC parts. I've also heard the tailplane support struts are too long. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 825 said:

also bought a set of SAC white metal undercarriage parts but haven't tested them out yet but that may be a solution as well

Interesting! I'll keep an eye out for that.

3 minutes ago, 825 said:

I've also heard the tailplane support struts are too long. 

Yep. They are. It only needs a simple cut and join on them though to correct this.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

A Barracuda build, how did I miss this?  Shift over everyone, I want a front row seat..

Nice progress so far 825..

Feel free to join in, good to see you. 

I've stuck on some bits, touched up the Sky, masked the undersides and put on a first coat of Dark Slate Grey. And here we are. 

resized_f4fd80e9-3e47-4e6f-85e1-a144d802

resized_5481a292-37f1-418f-978d-e67cb117

Edited by 825
Another photo added
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Beard said:

The first coats have gone on nicely. I assume you're brush-painting but what paint are you using?

Brush painting indeed. Using Xtracrylix, applying thin coats, thinned with Flow Improver. On the main surfaces I use a flat brush with gentle long strokes. It seems to work OK for me. I'll use a small brush for odd corners and near transparencies.  Another coats of the DSG and then I'll apply the Extra Dark Sea Grey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The paint layers have revealed some seams which have been filled with Mr Dissolved Putty. Read for another coat

resized_c7e089a2-677d-4276-bded-0f19eba3

Day trip to Bletchley Park organised for today so probably won't get much done but will pop some paint on before we go.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2017 at 10:14 AM, TheBaron said:

Tony

Tony, this is the SAC replacement set but it looks like they just replicate the undercart in white metal. I read that the nub of the undercart problem is that the retraction struts are too small as well as the plastic not necessarily being awfully strong. The SAC set will deal with the latter but withou opening everything up and measuring I'm not sure if it solves the former. In fact the kit retraction struts look a bit better.

resized_084029d4-c865-4dcb-8c63-cbaac22e

• Like 1

Here's the aftermarket I've got. I have no idea why I bought both the Montex and the Peewit masks. Mind you with the he number of windows on that long canopy a commercial mask is pretty well mandatory. 

resized_d7785f59-ce31-4c92-ad73-e186c013

• Like 1

Main painting work on the main airframe pretty well finished. 

resized_512e4c5d-95b8-4b3a-891c-0260ecfc

resized_4fc659e6-64e5-4f30-9c3c-8c012a4b

Thought it would be a good idea to start on the transfers and get them done before there were too many bits to be knocked off. They have gone on fairly straightforwardly so far. However, at one point the airframe slipped and when attempting to catch it, off came one of the empanages. Well that's tomorrow mornings first job sorted out. 

resized_31f19ee6-d8b6-427c-8ce7-961e0f90

• Like 3

And here she I see with all the main transfers on

resized_efb72b97-e40e-42c1-9d39-29ce0102

i spent an hour putting on some of the stencils this evening but they can hardly be seen. Allowing them to dry and will take quick photo in the morning. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

See if you can spot the difference? Here we are after an hour of applying the stencils. Another hour or so to go. And then some more once all the awkward bits are on. 

resized_9683b218-5b16-4e70-af41-78804750

• Like 1