This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Minor Version Upgrade Imminent

There's a minor update to the forum software pending that should hopefully clear up some of the bugs and annoyances with the forum for us.  I'm going to perform this upgrade shortly, so don't be surprised if the forum returns an error, or goes offline for a short time.  It's only a maintenance release, so it shouldn't take long, with a prevailing wind :)

As usual with these things, we may have a little twitchiness to deal with after the update, so please bear with us while we bed it in ;)

OK - the upgrade has completed, but as there was some MySQL jiggery-pokery (technical term) that I had to do manually due to the size of the DB, the forum is going through a recount & rebuild session, so search results might not make any sense for a wee while, and the Activity results might be a bit sparse :tumble:

Bear with us :)

d2a67cf30c0da3eab0afc67cad0927b968473481

I can confirm that the activity and search results are definitely a bit on the sparse side, if this continues heavens forbid I may have to do some work :whistle:

In the meantime I'm bearing with you, just glad I haven't got to bare with you :sick:

We're also deeply grateful for that Ant :) and :puke: at the thought of it.

The results will improve as people post more, and if it still matters by then, the rest will come back on stream when the rebuild of the latest posts completes.  It seems more concerned with the Reputation Index at the moment for some reason? :shrug:

Its currently re-indexing the posts and is as 20%.  Hopefully it should take no more than a couple of hours.  However, it may get stuck looking for any sensible posts by Mike.  

We're being nagged by the system to upgrade to the newest version of the forum software again, which has gone through 3 minor updates in the last month or so, and I guess we'll have to give in before too long.  This latest increment to the endless string of numbers with dots in between includes some new features rather than bug-fixes, most of which you'll probably never notice, but we have to keep up with the general scheme of things on the software front. 

If they don't release another seemingly mandatory bug-fix for the new version within the next few days to a week, we'll probably be updating the forum again.  We'll let you know a little before time, and we'll try to schedule it for a quiet period if we can, but be warned that the server will go offline during the process, and that process can take minutes to a few hours, depending on what it's upgrading :)

I'm thoroughly sick of the red bar nagging me at the top of every forum page, so I'm going to perform the upgrade in a minute.  If you're in the middle of a long post, save it, but if everything proceeds according to plan, we'll be back shortly.  When does anything ever proceed according to plan though? :shrug:

Ok me old dears, the forum has been upgraded, some of which I had to do manually due to the size of the database (2m+ posts!), but apart from that slowing it down a bit while they waited for the soft fleshy bag of water to do its part, it went well.  I cleared the caches on re-start, and now the post-upgrade process of re-indexing the forum will begin in the background, after which all your menus and Streams willl appear correctly.  The View New Content stream will also look "proper" once completed, so fret not.  Normal service will be resumed once it's done, and then we'll find out what's new :)

Mike, while you are at it (Pardon the expression), the latest Firefox upgrade now shows BM as an 'insecure' site when I log in. Any way around this?

Cheers

Frank

I think FF might be getting confused, as although the majority of the site is served "insecure", aka the http:// way it's always been served, the login details are served via https://, which IS secure, and that was one of the reasons that FF & Chrome both changed their security rankings for sites.  Perhaps Invision needs to speak with them to make them aware of that fact?  That said, I'd appreciate a screenshot to see if you mean what I think you mean. 

We're working on serving all the content as SSL (the posh name for https://), but we won't be able to proceed with that until Invision write a routine to convert all the millions of photos that are linked from Britmodeller so that they don't throw up a spurious error becase your photo hosts aren't serving via SSL.  TBH, the gain of "securing" the majority of content that you can freely access from the site anyway isn't massive (which is fairly obvious from that statement), so we're prepared to wait until it can be done completely AND properly :)

Just logged out and logged in again. I now get a new/different log in screen. The uprgade seems to have overcome that issue. If it happens again, I'll do a screen capture.

Cheers

The different login screen is as it should be, and uses SSL, which is good.  It's so long since I've had to log into any screen other than the control panel that I can't remember what it used to look like! :blush:

I suspect that part of this change has been to make sure that FF & Chrome both can see that the site logs you in securely.  At a guess :)

Right on cue, the day after we upgraded to version x, we're now being nagged to upgrade to version x.1 :doh: Typical, eh? :rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

Right on cue, the day after we upgraded to version x, we're now being nagged to upgrade to version x.1 :doh: Typical, eh? :rolleyes:

Always the way

The cache needed clearing too, so if you've had any issues with odd behaviours (of the forum), that should now be cleared. :)

1 minute ago, Mike said:

The cache needed clearing too, so if you've had any issues with odd behaviours (of the forum), that should now be cleared. :)

Ah, now that explains it. When I tried to reply to a couple of posts around 20 mins ago, nothing happened. I'll try again.

John.

Yeah - it seems that every time we've upgraded lately it has needed doing, so I've just been wondering why they don't add it as the last part of the upgrade script, as it would save a lot of folks calling support to say the upgrade broke their forum :shrug:

Posted (edited)

Mike are you aware of issues which require re-logging in at every visit, on any medium

I (because of an accident) own two 10.1 inch tablets and a Amazon Fire in addition to the PC

The system no longer recognises the "remember me" button's action for me on any of them

Can this be a result of the upgrade, I know of others whose logins have altered that  way

Some on Ipads as well as 'ordinary' tabs    WRONG

I've just checked, it's Steve Fritag but its his iPhone not his iTabs or his Mac

There have been no alterations on any of mine and although I use Firefox on the PC the others are using some variants of Google to log in

FF hasn't thrown up a BM bad message to me either so I doubt if its that

Hope we can get back to our beloved mild mannered rather wonderful site soon, "it's doin' me 'ead in!"

Edited by perdu
got something wrong

No problems for me, either with my PC or my IPad. Haven't been here on my IPad for at least two weeks and it still had me logged in.

Chris

Just did a little fiddling about under the hood in case anyone noticed the "maintenance" screen popping up.  Nowt to worry about, and I've cleared the caches just in case my shenanigans have upset any stored data.  If you get any oddness, clear your caches too, and restart your browser :)

I've just completed a minor security update to the forum software, after which I swept up, so everything should be ok. :)