1:72 Fujimi BAe Sea Harrier FRS.1

Hi mates,

I'm off to Florida for the next week for a holiday, so I'm afraid there won't be any updates for a while. When I get back, I'll have a couple of days of free time before I get to enjoy another round of chemotherapy. Hopefully I'll have an update sometime before the chemo.  

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

e

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

A word? He needs his head kicking in at least! :dalek1:I reckon he did it on purpose just to upset us modellers, in which case he succeeded big time!

Martian

He's the son of the man who decreed Hunter underwing serials be positioned directly over the three-part undercarriage doors, carrying on a proud tradition as best he knows how.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

e

He's the son of the man who decreed Hunter underwing serials be positioned directly over the three-part undercarriage doors, carrying on a proud tradition as best he knows how.

Well he needs the same treatment as well!

Martian

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Hi mates,

I'm off to Florida for the next week for a holiday, so I'm afraid there won't be any updates for a while. When I get back, I'll have a couple of days of free time before I get to enjoy another round of chemotherapy. Hopefully I'll have an update sometime before the chemo.  

Cheers,

Bill

Oh? Whereabouts, Bill? The weather is delightful at the moment here in central FL!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks, mates. What I was asking about was the fixed portion of the deck. Sounds (and looks) like I should go with EDSG for the fixed portion and DSG for the sliding portion.

mmm interesting!  If it was mine I would be doing it in Dark Admiralty Grey (I actually use Dark Sea Grey with splash of white). 

On my Harrier GR.3 cockpit, and the pictures I have of FA.2s the cockpit structure, fittings, panels, canopy interior and the fixed rear decking is all in Dark Admiralty Grey.

Finding references for the same area on an FRS.1 is hard, but it would seem odd top paint it different from the other versions seems odd - not impossible mind as it is British!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

That explains it - genetics! 

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The EDSG/White colour scheme looks fantastic! Lovely build.

Enjoy your hols,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian! I think it will end up as XZ454 from 800 Squadron in 1980. I know it's been done to death, but I really like the red trident on the tail with the sceptre and crossed swords. It just looks British. The instructions for the sticker sheet has the aircraft number 250 on the forward fuselage, below the cockpit. However, every single photo that I can find of this plane has the number just aft of the fuselage roundel on the fairing that leads to the cold nozzle. So that's how I'll do it - typical Microscale instructions, wrong again. But at least the stickers are still good, being 30 years old or more! 

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Well he needs the same treatment as well!

Martian

This is how mobs start, old chap. Let's just leave it to PC to take care of him in his own way. Hopefully involving hedgehogs with pointy teeth! 

5 hours ago, SmashedGlass said:

Oh? Whereabouts, Bill? The weather is delightful at the moment here in central FL!

My wife and daughters have some kind of Disney gene and have to go every year (sometimes more!) So I broke down and bought a Disney time share with some money I got from cashing out an insurance policy I didn't need. Now when we go, we don't have to pay for a hotel room. So we'll be in Orlando, never venturing outside of the Disney force field. Although we will have to summon Uber to take us off-site to some Disney Outlet Store. It's never too early to buy Christmas gifts for 2020. 

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

mmm interesting!  If it was mine I would be doing it in Dark Admiralty Grey (I actually use Dark Sea Grey with splash of white). 

On my Harrier GR.3 cockpit, and the pictures I have of FA.2s the cockpit structure, fittings, panels, canopy interior and the fixed rear decking is all in Dark Admiralty Grey.

Finding references for the same area on an FRS.1 is hard, but it would seem odd top paint it different from the other versions seems odd - not impossible mind as it is British!

Well...I haven't painted it back to EDSG yet. With the canopy open, it won't show too much of the deck. I really wish I knew what shade it should be! 

We leave for Florida first thing Monday morning. After I pack today, maybe I can get some more stickers on and post a picture.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

We leave for Florida first thing Monday morning. After I pack today, maybe I can get some more stickers on and post a picture.   :)

It's a great time of year in the Great Lakes region to get the heck out. Have a safe trip and enjoy!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, modelglue said:

It's a great time of year in the Great Lakes region to get the heck out. Have a safe trip and enjoy!

Thanks! We've been pretty lucky the last few years. Most of the big snow storms have gone up the Mid-Atlantic coast and missed us. My son, who lives outside Baltimore, has had more snow storms than we have had here in Rottenchester. We've probably had more total snowfall, but it's three inches here, three inches there with a melt in-between. Bare ground today, but it is chilly, 25 F or so. Next week is supposed to be 40s and 50s. Weird. Back in the 60s when I was but a wee lad, it would start snowing in mid-November and stop sometime in late April, and rarely did we have a January thaw. 24-36 inch snowfalls in one storm were not unusual. The banks along the roads were huge. Or maybe that was because I was so short then...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Next week is supposed to be 40s and 50s. Weird. Back in the 60s when I was but a wee lad, it would start snowing in mid-November and stop sometime in late April, and rarely did we have a January thaw. 24-36 inch snowfalls in one storm were not unusual.

Yes, I see an opportunity to get a jump on some outdoor work. :)  Yes, the last handful of winters have been easy by 'London' standards, but there have been a few that certainly balance them right out. Such as, 'Snowmageddon' of 2010, and the unnamed bitterness of 2014-2015 where I was employed in new construction and coped with 3" of ice crust. Thankfully, work is generally slow during periods of extreme crapitude and I can cozy up with a box of chocolates and my favourite war movies. Or visit my grandies in Florida.

• Like 1

Correct Bill - EDSG for the fuselage decking under the canopy and the canopy rails on the cockpit sides; DAG for the internal sliding canopy framing.

Thankfully you have the intake interiors correct :)

Seen way too many SHAR FRS1s in the EDSG/W or overall EDSG Falklands schemes with white/LAG intake interiors. :( 

Enjoy you hols.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 2

One last time before I leave for Florida. Decalcomania! 

IMG_1007

IMG_1008

All of the stickers are on except for the starboard fuselage roundel. Setting solutions were still drying when I took these photos, but I think she'll look quite sharp. All five tyres are touching the ground, thanks to the new Quickboost outriggers. Remember those PE lash-down rings that I had superglued to the Fujimi outriggers? I actually snapped those off and added them to the Quickboost resin parts. I expected several to go "zing" when I did that, but I got lucky instead and they all survived the trip.

The stickers are a combination of Microscale, Fujimi, and Hasegawa. Unfortunately, Microscale did the pilot's name in black letters, when they should be white. I used the decal anyway, to honour the chap. Although you can't see in either of these pictures, there is a red X at the bottom of each intake. 

Even though the Sea Harriers were painted with a glossy EDSG at this stage, this model won't stay shiny like she is now. First, I'm a firm believer in "scale gloss." Models that are super shiny in 1:72 scale just look like toys to me. I think that's because we create glossy finishes with clear overcoats. This clear paint has an illusion of depth, and when that gets multiplied by scale, it looks unrealistic. That's my opinion anyway - most people disagree with me. This model will get a satin, or eggshell finish. 

I started working on the canopy - it is missing the rear shelf and detonator control box, so I started making one from card stock.

IMG_1005

IMG_1006

That control box is tiny! Plus, it's going to need some fiddly things sticking out of it. Well, we'll figure out something. Luckily, the windscreen looks like it will fit nicely. You'll remember that the Fujimi canopy was one piece, while Hasegawa's was two. I'm using the windscreen from the Fujimi kit, and the sliding portion from the Hasegawa because I didn't want one to think I was favouring the other. By the way, the Fujimi canopy has to be just about the thinnest injection moulded canopy I've ever seen. At first glance, you might mistake it for vacuform. The Hasegawa part is thin too, but not like the Fujimi. Makes me wonder why they're not all like that...

While on holiday, I may sign in on my phone and leave a comment or two somewhere, but that's it for this WIP until I return. See you next week!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

That's my opinion anyway - most people disagree with me. This model will get a satin, or eggshell finish. 

I don't Bill, I completely agree & finish all my models (on the rare occasion I do actually finish a model!) in the same way - including airliners! And I also now think that completely matt models don't look 'right' either as they tend to look a bit lifeless to me now - I found this out after spending years trying to find the ultimate, completely dead matt, matt varnish....!! :D

That little Shar is looking absolutely drop dead gorgeous already though!

Enjoy Mickey time!

Keith

• Like 1

She looks rather tidy with her stickers on Bill.

I think my wife and daughter have that same gene, fortunately they only pester me about Paris.... Florida would be a bit of a stretch....

Have a great trip and good luck with the cemo.

Rob

• Like 1

Bill,

you tease, you get us this far then swan off to Florida?

only joking, it looks stunning, have a great time, rather jealous as we went over last year although that heat in the summer is rather uncomfortable for a Brit!

cheers

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

One last time before I leave for Florida. Decalcomania! 

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

All of the stickers are on except for the starboard fuselage roundel. Setting solutions were still drying when I took these photos, but I think she'll look quite sharp. All five tyres are touching the ground, thanks to the new Quickboost outriggers. Remember those PE lash-down rings that I had superglued to the Fujimi outriggers? I actually snapped those off and added them to the Quickboost resin parts. I expected several to go "zing" when I did that, but I got lucky instead and they all survived the trip.

The stickers are a combination of Microscale, Fujimi, and Hasegawa. Unfortunately, Microscale did the pilot's name in black letters, when they should be white. I used the decal anyway, to honour the chap. Although you can't see in either of these pictures, there is a red X at the bottom of each intake. 

Even though the Sea Harriers were painted with a glossy EDSG at this stage, this model won't stay shiny like she is now. First, I'm a firm believer in "scale gloss." Models that are super shiny in 1:72 scale just look like toys to me. I think that's because we create glossy finishes with clear overcoats. This clear paint has an illusion of depth, and when that gets multiplied by scale, it looks unrealistic. That's my opinion anyway - most people disagree with me. This model will get a satin, or eggshell finish. 

I started working on the canopy - it is missing the rear shelf and detonator control box, so I started making one from card stock.

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

That control box is tiny! Plus, it's going to need some fiddly things sticking out of it. Well, we'll figure out something. Luckily, the windscreen looks like it will fit nicely. You'll remember that the Fujimi canopy was one piece, while Hasegawa's was two. I'm using the windscreen from the Fujimi kit, and the sliding portion from the Hasegawa because I didn't want one to think I was favouring the other. By the way, the Fujimi canopy has to be just about the thinnest injection moulded canopy I've ever seen. At first glance, you might mistake it for vacuform. The Hasegawa part is thin too, but not like the Fujimi. Makes me wonder why they're not all like that...

While on holiday, I may sign in on my phone and leave a comment or two somewhere, but that's it for this WIP until I return. See you next week!

Cheers,

Bill

This is one reason my ESCI build stalled, unless I'm missing a part, there's no rear shelf on there either. Looks like I'm building that too when she finally makes it back to the desk...

I survived the week in Florida (miserable weather, sunny and 80 F every day) and have made some slight progress before I head to chemotherapy on Thursday. Gear doors are on, as is the air brake. The final stickers were applied and the model was given a coat of Floquil Flat, which gives it an eggshell finish. I also finished the drop tanks/pylons, along with the launch rails for the Sidewinders. The pylons have not been added yet, but should go on today. The Pavla resin cold nozzles were given a coat of EDSG and popped into their fairings. They fit tight enough that no glue is necessary. Holes were drilled for the Master turned brass pitot tube and the AOA probe, the latter of which was installed. It's tiny! The pitot tube will get a coat of Alclad stainless steel I think.

And, as you can see, the horizontal tailplanes have also found their way onto the Shar. It looks like I forget my subtle panel line work on them - easy fix.

IMG_1012

IMG_1011

IMG_1010

IMG_1009

Of course, you can't take two steps forward without taking one step back. I masked the windscreen and canopy, followed by painting the frames and adding some rescue stickers. When I removed the masking tape, I found that somehow I managed to crack the windscreen (remember how thin I said they were?). Ugh. Then I discovered that the decal setting solution (I think) from the rescue stickers must have seeped under the masking tape, and has played havoc with the coat of Future. Another ugh. 

I believe (I can't remember!) that I was using the Fujimi windscreen and the Hasegawa canopy. The Hasegawa windscreen can be used instead, so I'm not too worried about the crack. I can either strip down the canopy and re-do everything, or use the Fujimi canopy. If I use the latter, it will need some extra work at the back end, as it doesn't have the vertical "wall" underneath the rear protrusion (where it has the scallops to clear the antennae). Six of one, three litres of another. 

I love scale modelling.   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

Wow! Despite the canopy drawback and Florida horrible ( :shutup: ) weather, you're progressing fast! :worthy: I'm not even half way through with decals on my Harrier, and there are still so many bits that need TLC; not to mention weathering ... :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 1