13 hours ago, spaddad said:

will you ever forgive me?

Who are you again? ;)

Believe it or not your plan worked as when I am working on the dino and waiting for bits to dry I'm getting on with the Shackelton MR1A conversion.

I'm having fun with dino too but don't tell everyone.

RG

• Like 1

How about taxidermists eyes?

As for Genus of a, "Yet to be named theropod".

There is the somewhat complex and not fully understood Genus of Megalosaurus, that covers what is now considered to be a number of possible theropods; essentially an European/UK Tyrannosaurus/Allosaurs type theropod. There are others known, but at the 'mo I am away from the reference library, (A.K.A blanky).

Otherwise, follow the scientific taxonomical precedent of 'You found it, you names it!'.

HTH!

Christian, exiled to a land with the internot...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

I've got a sheet of eyeball decals

I'll get back to you on this if my idea of building up layers of pva glue doesn't work. I'm looking at trying to get the depth looking right even though they are tiny

(PS Obviously I am still speaking to you :jabber:)

5 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

the scientific taxonomical precedent

Christian,I am saving that and will try to get it into the four word story over on chat sometime.

No modelling tonight as too tired after a busy and trying day at work

Richard

• Like 1

After yesterday's little accident (see chat),tonight  I did a fair bit of work on the Shackelton then took pity on the poor creature staring at me despite having no eyes yet

You all know about 'tailsitters' in the aircraft model world don't you?

Ever heard of a 'nosesitter' in the dinosaur world?

With all of the mods and addition of the ( not telling yet!) the slightest bump and she sits on her nose and she has still got arms to go on! 

Guess I'm now making a base for her.

Richard

I didn't know you did dinos.

Oooh leather... kinky.

Umm sorry.  Looks good actually.

How about a droplet of epoxy for the eyes?

A small dollop on a piece of glass and when it dries, pop it off and paint the flat side,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

I didn't know you did dinos.

Neither did I but a bad man made me do it!

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

A small dollop on a piece of glass and when it dries, pop it off and paint the flat side

Thanks. I'll try that

I did a short piece of work earlier but just got grumpy as nothing went right.

Hope to have some photos tomorrow.

Richard

Here's a couple of pretty rubbish pics but all I could do tonight.

She looks a lot better in the flesh and she has more of her spikes on now.

I am not sure about the arms. I lengthened them but left them on the same socket as T-Rex. Perhaps I'll build up the tops a bit more.

Ignore the colours..that's just me using the first available pot to see if I have got her wrinkled skin right.

The white is PVA glue and will dry clear.

I still have no idea what basic colour she will be but as she is going to be displaying for a mate then there will be a bit of colour so she can show off.

DSCN0220_zpsvz23vjqf.jpgDSCN0219_zpszzyawxm2.jpg

Interesting.

So are they quills? (i.e. feathers without the feathery bit).

Going back a bit, about naming the beasty, suitable Lower Cretaceous Theropods from the Wealden and Isle of Wight include Neovenator salerii, Eotyrannus lengi, Thecocoelurus daviesi, and Calamospondylus oweni.

Middle Jurassic of the Cotswolds produces Proceratosaurus bradleyi and of the same age China has Gasosaurus constructus.

HTH!

Christian, exiled to africa

1 hour ago, wyverns4 said:

So are they quills? (i.e. feathers without the feathery bit)

Yes but more flattened as I'm using pine needles.

I suppose in the end she will look a bit like a porcupine or hedgehog crossbred with a lizard.

Still not sure of the colours.

Was thinking of a pale green with a darker disruptive pattern so that she would be camouflaged in the forest.

(so she goes from Royal Navy grey and white to Army green and black)

I was watching a Robin and a Bullfinch in the garden earlier so don't be surprised if they have an influence

Re the names. I'll Google them and see what they looked like.

1 hour ago, wyverns4 said:

Interesting.

You been drinking the fine malts?

(but what tone of voice was used)

Richard

Just back from Glasgow and spending lots in Scotts Models.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little progress since last update and I've been messing about with colours as well as placing more quills.

Here's what she looks like at the moment,still a long way from ready but I thought I'd give you a sneak preview.

She has more to her headdress,claws and eyes to be added.

When she is ready I will have the whole story of how this creature came to be.

I'd appreciate your opinion and hope the paleontologists out there won't judge me too harshly!

DSCN0222_zpsozbvmyfa.jpgDSCN0221_zpsilg2qn7p.jpg

• Like 6

On 2/19/2017 at 7:29 PM, Scimitar said:

You been drinking the fine malts?

(but what tone of voice was used)

There are one or two true whiskey's, (none of the blended nonsese), lurking in a cupboard not too far away and I am partial to the odd dram per hour...

As to the tone, :locked: :wicked:

She is looking good and I like the idea of the crest! No reason to judge harshly as there may very well be a Theropod out there awaiting discovery with evidence for a frilly bit. For example, the Velociraptor, beloved of all-things Jurassic Park was actually about the size of a large Turkey and thus raised a bit of Palaeo-hoo-ha. But about 5 years after the eponymous film Utahraptor, was discovered, (guess where?), which is a pretty good match for the film beasties. Plus. I rather like the idea of examining evolutionary morphological convergence.

On-On!

Christian, Britmodeller's tame(ish) Palaeontologist

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Watch this space !

Ooerrr!:crosseyed:

I would just like to say to the Britmodeller corpus, that whatever happens, I WAS NOT INVOLVED, I WAS NOT THERE, I HAVE WITNESSES...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

There are one or two true whiskey's, (none of the blended nonsese), lurking in a cupboard not too far away and I am partial to the odd dram per hour...

As to the tone, :locked: :wicked:

She is looking good and I like the idea of the crest! No reason to judge harshly as there may very well be a Theropod out there awaiting discovery with evidence for a frilly bit. For example, the Velociraptor, beloved of all-things Jurassic Park was actually about the size of a large Turkey and thus raised a bit of Palaeo-hoo-ha. But about 5 years after the eponymous film Utahraptor, was discovered, (guess where?), which is a pretty good match for the film beasties. Plus. I rather like the idea of examining evolutionary morphological convergence.

On-On!

Christian, Britmodeller's tame(ish) Palaeontologist

Oh no, what have you done!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spaddad said:

Oh no, what have you done!

You behave yourself! (or I'll post you down that Lynx helicopter)

Oh yes..and remember you started it all

I have started to write the story of how this creature came to be as she will be ready in the next week or so I hope but given the upheaval of the repairs to the hall ceiling (tested positive for asbestos..all of 0.01% in the artex so the 5' hole gets ignored and they take down whole ceiling of about 25 X 20 ') I can't promise you that.

She will eventually go on a base but that can wait

9 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

I rather like the idea of examining evolutionary morphological convergence.

:thanks:  I couldn't have worded it better myself :whistle:

• Like 1