This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

That's like saying that coins either end up heads or tails :shrug:

My initial reaction was a grimace, as I expected it to be a reboot.  Then I saw Indiana Jones, and I changed my mind a little.  After all, how can you improve on the original Bladerunner?  Maybe jazz up the SPFX a bit? Even those are still pretty believable now.  Doug Trumbull was a master of miniature photography, with Syd Mead designing the hardware so they hold up well.  The only thing that makes me scratch my bonce is the date.  I can't remember the date the original film was set, but if Han Solo has been missing for 30 years, doesn't that mean that the original was set only 3 years hence?  They got that a bit wrong, didn't they?  We've got to invent realistic human robots, AI and interstellar travel in the next few years! :frantic:

Only ten months to wait so we can give our opinions of the film. I am certainly interested in this one !

I do hope it is better than Scott's effort withPrometheus, which I thought to be a wasted opportunity; it was dreadful.

The original 1982 Blade Runner film was set in Los Angeles, November 2019 so this film is set 30 years later.

I always remember seeing the Barry Norman review of the original and he put me off going to the cinema to watch it. I did get to see all the DVD versions when my son bought me the limited edition box set but in May 2015 I finally got to see it on the big screen (well biggish) at Stirling University.

I won't be waiting so long to see this version on the big screen!

Dave

That's like saying that coins either end up heads or tails :shrug:

Sorry Mike -paraphrasing Deckard's words from the original that are repeated at the start of this teaser.

Given the current State of the Union with fillums, it's tough to be optimistic. I don't know how much the original needs a sequel, but we all have to make a living! Just hope it ain't #2 in more ways than one...

("Prometheus? Seen a better film on a smoker's teeth!"; "Interstellar? I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and poop a better script!" and so on.)

Edited by Mike
Please don't use asterisked out swears.

10p in the swear jar for you.  I think Harrison Ford might be getting his last appearance in before he retires... maybe he had a MASSIVE tax bill? :shrug:  They can sequel things to death if the film is worth the wait, but the laws of diminishing returns tends to apply with each successive film (suck-sessive?).  Robocop being the defining jewel of that law, along with Jaws.

Now yasee, I didn't mind Prometheus.  Sure the script was a bit hokey, but the visuals were stunning.  Switch off brain, but leave your visual cortex running :hypnotised:

I never listen to critics or anyone else tbh , open mind when i go see a film  stopped looking for  correct markings ,mks in war films , good acting  decent story  and i'm happy 

Just sit back and enjoy  the  perfect film is like the perfect model 

It dont exist 

Ridley Scott again so with Indiana that's got me interested, like Dave, I'll form an opinion after I've seen it.  However, are we looking at the 10th June or 6th October?

I am almost scared to look.....  :unsure:

I saw the original at the cinema, twice, it's left an indelible mark on my psyche.....I will be gutted if he spoils it now.

OK, so I looked.....The SFX footage so far looks OK, but the sets (& especially the lighting thereof) don't seem to be up to the standard of the original. 

Consequently I'm not at all hopeful, but would really like to be proven wrong.  :pray:

I'm somewhat ambivalent about this one, but I'm much the same about the original. This will no doubt come across as heresy to some, but I've never thought Blade Runner to be the great classic it is considered. A good morality tale with stunning visuals, and Harrison Ford effortlessly stepping out of the shadows of the two cinematic icons he was known for at the time. Rutger Hauer does make a meal of some of the scenery, and the whole 'is Deckard a replicant?' question totally passed me by.

At the moment this one is only a 'possible' on my cinema list for next year, but that is always subject to change.

I'm not sure that the original BR is a 'great classic'; it is very much a cult item -some of the special effects are stunning, others...well, not too special at all!

I think it's an epoch thing: it played us into the 1980s and set a look and a 'feel' that permeated much of that era. Bowie claimed to have trawled the decadent set designs for his Serious Moonlight tour from it; the TV ad for the soft drink Quattro looked like an out-take. The recurring themes of urban alienation, the nature of identity, science without frontiers and major corporations' 'self-regulation' coming badly unstuck would all resonate through the decade and beyond.  But no, not really a Sci-Fi Citizen Kane. What I most liked about it was how it appeared to expand tacitly on the Alien universe, much more successfully than anything since. The Nostromo could have come from the Earth of Blade Runner, and Scott's trademark '80s visuals (clever lighting and masses of bric-a-brac) seemed to make bookends of the two flicks. But if you were too young/old to have 'got' the early '80s, it will probably still be somewhat meaningless.

Oh yeah -I quite liked the original theatre release with the voice-over. Sorry! :)

18 hours ago, AngstROM said:

..."Interstellar? I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and poop a better script!"...

Still a better film than Gravity...

As some of the previous posters have inferred, maybe we should wait until we see the film to judge it. 

I saw the director's previous film when it came out (Arrival) and thought it a very well-made, thought-provoking film - certainly not a typical bit of Hollywood hokum, which you have virtually forgotten the day after seeing it.

I'm quietly optimistic about the new Bladerunner (but I'm not expecting a crowd-pleaser).

Chris.  

22 hours ago, Mike said:

10p in the swear jar for you...

Now yasee, I didn't mind Prometheus.  Sure the script was a bit hokey, but the visuals were stunning.  Switch off brain, but leave your visual cortex running :hypnotised:

Here's an IOU, written on the back of a cinema poster for Forbidden Planet!

Now, Prometheus...oh dear. That one made serial efforts to challenge its own sanity throughout, finally succeeding heroically when an 'Engineer'(?) activated some arcane piece of equipment (ahem!) by playing some sort of flute...seriously??!

31751877656_439ba5ffbb_m.jpg

Yeeees!

I seem to remember there was a question as to whether Deckard was a replicant, looks like he's aged to me :lol:

I've been looking forward to this film and if they didn't do sequels, well I wouldn't be able to look forward to it would I?

I enjoyed Prometheus immensely, I find it helps if you don't think too hard but enjoy these films for what they are, escapism.

9 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Still a better film than Gravity...

Found this one a bit heavy going :rofl: There, said it, well someone had to :suicide:

5 hours ago, AngstROM said:

Now, Prometheus...oh dear. That one made serial efforts to challenge its own sanity throughout, finally succeeding heroically when an 'Engineer'(?) activated some arcane piece of equipment (ahem!) by playing some sort of flute...seriously??!

I watched Prometheus four times in the vague and distant hope that I'd simply been drunk and suffering delirium tremens. It appears I was not the only one who felt that way about the the film:

Saw this last night. I thought it was quite decent. Not as good as the original but wasn't expecting it to be as it didn't have Rutger Hauer  in it.

I too, saw it last night and thought it was a good sequel to the original. I only found out a few days beforehand that the music score was now being done by Hans Zimmer who replaced Johann Johannsson in the past three months or so, but otherwise the soundtrack was good.   :thumbsup:

Well, what can you say about the new Brade Lunner movie?

Definitely NOT a crowd-pleaser.... I can foresee a fair few people walking out half way through. Don't get me wrong, it was visually stunning and obviously made with a great deal of skill, but "Transformers No.37: Dear God, How Many More?" it most certainly wasn't. The film moved at its own, leisurely pace (thought it could have done with 45 minutes pruning pretty easily with no real detriment to the story).

Harrison Ford was more nuanced than he normally is, even Ryan Duckling was bearable (which makes a pleasant change). The actress who played Joi (K's holographic girlfriend) was a definite highlight of the film (why would a hologram have a Spanish accent? I guess for the same reason the Terminator has an Austrian accent. For......... Hollywood reasons).

Go and see it at the cinema. If you download it, you won't be getting even 10% of the true impact.

Cheers.

Chris.  

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Go and see it at the cinema. If you download it, you won't be getting even 10% of the true impact.

I prefer always to see movies on the big screen.

And I'll buy the Blu-ray disc when it comes out !