Airfix B-17G interior color

Ingo Degenhardt

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 2:16 PM, MalX said:

texas%20raiders.jpg

Texas Raiders...............my fav !!!!

wooden floors, same green in cockpit.

please note:- gun windows are slid open, i've done the same with mine............but my guns stick out too far never mind

NOTE: Texas Raiders is a late G-model with staggered waist windows, but for some reason was restored with the sliding waist hatches of a F.  These were replaced by fully enclosed permanent windows on the G.  The external ammunution cans on the ball turret are also incorrect..these were only used on the B-24.  And of course, like almost all restored B-17s she's incorrectly painted "interior green" from nose to tail.   That said, Raiders does have a special place in my heart, as she was the first B-17 I ever saw in Real Life.  That was in 1977, when she didn't have turrets and was painted a weird pale green with dark green splotches.

SN

Edited by Steve N
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve N said:

NOTE: Texas Raiders is a late G-model with, but for some reason was restored with the sliding waist hatches of a F.  These were replaced by fully enclosed permanent windows on the G.  The external ammunution cans on the ball turret are also incorrect..these were only used on the B-24.  And of course, like almost all restored B-17s she's incorrectly painted "interior green" from nose to tail.   That said, Raiders does have a special place in my heart, as she was the first B-17 I ever saw in Real Life.  That was in 1977, when she didn't have turrets and was painted a weird pale green with dark green splotches.

SN

it's a bit like the last vulcan bomber, they never looked like that back in 1976 at St Athan............drab matt with a grey underside

• Like 1

There is some great discussion and period photos on Large Scale Planes Work In Progress forum - look up the HK Models B17 'Bit O Lace' build.

It seems to be typically NMF, some with interior green stringers.

PR

2 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

There is some great discussion and period photos on Large Scale Planes Work In Progress forum - look up the HK Models B17 'Bit O Lace' build.

It seems to be typically NMF, some with interior green stringers.

PR

one hell of a kit, but that would be way too big at 1/32 for me :o.....................too easy to damage as i move it around

Edited by MalX

7 hours ago, Tbolt said:

The picture half way down this page http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm shows the longerons and what fittings were painted in tinted ZC.

That's the photo I was thinking of. Thanks for posting the link.

• 1 month later...

I went on a still flying late (post war, 1946 on the Build/Construction Plate)  model B-17 at Brize in the early 80s and the interior was Green. perhaps the production rate during the war meant it didn't matter about corrosion control, just get 'em flying, think Boeings were rolling out 16  a day, (could also have been weight saving). Corrosion being the least of their problems. I noticed that some parts were painted on above production photo , webs, stringers and brackets and riveted to untreated frames and skins.

I just started mine too. I have to say the Airfix suggestion of 195 for the cockpit colour seems to work well. The Revell equivalent is supposed to be 363. Which I don't have so can't comment. The other interior colours are aluminium,  black and wood so pretty standard. 

• Like 1

Hello!

I have understood that clad aluminum parts did not need corrosion inhibiting primer (zinc chromate).

But non-clad aka bare aluminium parts did need corrosion inhibiting primer (zinc chromate). Even after moving on with "natural metal" schemes.

Depending of the structural member (frame, stringer, skin sheet) B-17 part could be clad or non-clad. And needing chromater primer or not.

Cladding means adding thin pure (99%) aluminium layer on aluminum alloy (usuall copper alloy - dural) on outer surfaces. Most likely method was roll bonding (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cladding_(metalworking ) for sheets.

Stringers could be made with pressing from sheet metal pieces (which could be cladded) or from extrusions (cladding not possible and so needed primer).

BTW Today stringent environmental rules prohibit use of hexavalent chromates including zinc chromates. One of methods intended as replacement is spraying pure aluminum on (for example) milled frames, ribs, whatever. Sort of 3D cladding, that is.

Hope this helps more than muds things up.

Cheers,

Kari

The cladding or Alclad does have as you say an Al layer but when its cut, drilled, countersunk etc. that protective layer  isn't there so we, not sure abut 1940s, use Alachrome to etch the surface and etch primers then paint depending where its fitted and design spec, drawing requirements. Steel and Titanium is used sparingly never seen steel stringers,  its 90 odd %. EG The VC10 has 3 steel frames in the Fuse centre section where wing joins and the rear fuse,around the engines and U/C. Aluminium/Aluminum. Stringers come in either the aircraft manufacturer's or general aircraft material stockholders supplies of standard cross sections or thirdly, hand made on bench and folded.

Depending on the QA/Inspection dept I've been told to polish NMF with fine grit wet or dry/Scotchbrite and Alachrome 1200 the piece or just dunking it /painting it so only the cut and drilled parts get the Alachrome 1200. The Alachrome 1200 gives a golden/brownish tinge to the cut and drilled areas the rest stays shiny NMF in appearance. It will get a dose of Scotchbrite before primer. When I was QA I chose the latter unless it was instructed differently on the drawing or Design Authority procedures.The parts are wet assembled with a jointing compound or a sealant like PRC to stop water/muck ingress, pressure leaks and corrosion/fretting etc.  The Chromated concoctions, hopefully are gone but not that long ago we were swimming in it and a few other nasties, it's use goes a long way back.

What the requirements were in the 40's at Boeings ,I've no idea. Some of these things have been invented after or used as a result of some investigation following a failure/crash/corrosion etc.