1:24 scale airfix kits. Any good?

m4rky

Hi,

I have seen the that works has the following airfix 1:24 kits quite cheap (with discount code and quidco cash back I should be able to get them for about £25 each):

Spitfire Mk Vb Gift Set
Hurricane Mk1 Gift Set

Me-109E-4 Gift Set

Are they any good? I have seen mixed reviews about them.

I am relatively new to modelling and havn't build anything bigger than 1/48th scale and usually only build OOB.

Cheers

I like some of them (Spitfire, Stuka), others not so much (all the others). The Spitfire is an iconic kit that most of us who have been modelling for 40-50 years have built at some stage, but I would not attempt to build one straight out of the box. They are kits from the early 1970s and have to be seen in that context. By modern standards they will look rather dated, and be difficult to build to someone whose only experience is modern Tamiya 1/48 kits and the like. There is very little aftermarket available so they require a lot of DIY. Personally this is just how I like my modelling but it's not for everyone. If you have space by all means pick one up cheap and you will be able to use as a canvas upon which to learn a vast amount of modelling skill, but don't expect a remotely modern experience.  By far the best of the original 1/24 Airfix kits is the Stuka, which is magnificent. All in all, if you are looking for a something bigger and more complex than your OOB 1/48 kits that will be less of a culture shock, I suggest a Hasegawa or Tamiya 1/32 fighter instead. If you want to get started on the path to scratchbuilding and superdetailing without commercial aftermarket parts, buy an Airfix  Spitfire. But I'd generally go for an old release off eBay, the moulds were much better when they were new.

If you want a 1/24 fighter that's more modern try a Trumpeter Hurricane or a Kinetic P-47D. Really good kits, those, and far more up to date. Also there are some deeply discounted Airfix 1/24 Typhoon kits around at the moment, and those are extremely good value for money: it is a very recent kit and highly detailed.

Edited by Work In Progress

With the caveat of never having built one of them, I'd nevertheless tend to second the Ju 87 as the best of the bunch. This is to some extent due to it having a fixed undercarriage. All the others from pre-1981 (up to the 190) have more or less retracting u/c and undetailed gear wells. Personally, I quite like the 109. The Spit V is based upon the older-than-myself I which came out for Christmas 1970 (or 71), and being done by Humbrol when run on a shoestring Budget, I am not that sure all necessary changes were made.

I have most of the 1/24 Airfix Kits and have built the Stuka and the Spitfire, have a partially built Mosquito, Harrier and Typhoon  (so many pin marks to get rid of!).  The Ju-87 kit is by far the best of the old batch of 1/24 kits.  The Mosquito and Typhoon are new tools and can't be judge with the old batch of 1/24.    The Spitfire is not a bad kit and it will probably help build your modeling skills with getting rid of mold seams, injector/ejector pin, and generally trying to make everything fit right.  It will also help with your detail painting skills.  I know that sounds weird, but with the larger scales there is more detail that has to be painted as there is so much more exposed.  If you can get it cheap, go for it and enjoy yourself.  I think you will like it and it will help develop your general building skills.

• Like 1

The Hurricane is a VERY good kit even by todays standards, I actually like it more than the Trumpeter one. I bought one from TKMAXX and i have nearly finished it. It looks really good. Spitfire is also good and still accurate in shape. It needs a wing spar though. The one thing with then is the plastic. The parts will need cleaning up a bit , but a bit of patience and test fitting and they are great fun.

• Like 1

Not much to add, of the ones you have listed as on offer the Hurricane is in my opinion the best one. A later mould than the Spit and 109, it has wheel wells, fixed undercarriage rather than a gimmicky retracting one, nice surface details and a superb(for its day) interior and engine, some say the nose is "off" due to a scale engine and its biggest problem with the current mouldings is everything has a seamline around it that needs trimming off, very tedious.

I'm building one at the moment and have only added a Yahu instrument panel, some seat belts and some scratch built bits to produce a perfectly acceptable cockpit.

For £25 (including paints, brushes and cement) you won't get a better cost/pleasure modelling, rather than assembling, ratio.

Dave

Edited by Coors54
Darn auto correct
  • Like 3

I think it really depends on your skills. I built the Spit last year and had to do a lot of filling and fettling, particularly to fit the tropical intake, but if you are comfortable with that, you can build it up to a nice kit. I think the Hurricane is a great kit too. I built the Stuka when I was a kid and have fond memories of it, but couldn't give an honest assessment as I cant remember what I did at work today! Below is a link to my Spit build ....

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll leave them alone. I was only really interested because I could get them cheap!

I have plenty of other unbuilt kits in the stash and these boxes might be just a bit too big to hide from SWMBO.

Woody37: Awesome looking spitfire

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly enough my son received a Airfix 1/24 Spitfire MK vb for Christmas from his Grandad,

I've had a quick look inside the box and it doesn't look too bad at all.

I'm going to help him build it so we will see how well it fits together before I divulge in one :)