RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat

Painted with Vallejo paints, some modification to allow for poor kit design, and poor decals.

The stripes were applied my masking and painting. With a bit of care, and awareness of the issues this makes a worthy tribute to all the volunteers that daily risk their lives to save people at sea (and in rivers as well!).

DSCF0574_zpsy9xafjam.jpg

DSCF0575_zpslzfkwc2n.jpg

DSCF0577_zps04r1saqg.jpg

DSCF0578_zpss6xgqftk.jpg

DSCF0581_zps6jp9yipr.jpg

DSCF0580_zpslqbfm0tn.jpg

DSCF0572_zpskj2c8etk.jpg

DSCF0571_zpsmm6nc98b.jpg

DSCF0570_zpsy5o269fw.jpg

• Like 10

That looks great Dave, very tidy. Mine has been on the shelf of doom for a while now - mainly because I wasn't happy with my waterline conversion.

One observation if I may, is that I believe the name plate should be "RNLB Albert Brown" rather than RNLI.

A well finished finale there Dave.

Liking what you have done there, especially the modifications you made in the WIP & leaving the rear cabin door open.

A couple of questions for you.

1. How did you do the nameplates? What size font did you use?

2. Did you glue the 2 life-rings on? Im thinking about tying them on with some white thread to the railings.

3. What material did you use for covering the life raft?

:goodjob:

Cheers,

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

30 minutes ago, Deadman Disciple said:

A well finished finale there Dave.

Liking what you have done there, especially the modifications you made in the WIP & leaving the rear cabin door open.

A couple of questions for you.

1. How did you do the nameplates? What size font did you use?

2. Did you glue the 2 life-rings on? Im thinking about tying them on with some white thread to the railings.

3. What material did you use for covering the life raft?

:goodjob:

Cheers,

Wayne.

Thanks Wayne.

To answer your questions:

1) Nameplates were printed onto photopaper and cut out. Cant remember what size font I used, think it was 5, but the font type was DIN which is the RNLI font. They were then sprayed twice with an acrylic varnish (Citadel) before cutting out and glueing on.

2) I did glue the rings on. The rings sit in brackets and aren't tied to allow rapid deployment.

3) The Y-boat was covered in tin foil. Cut a small piece of foil and glue the boat face down onto it. When dry, trim around it leaving about 4mm all round. I then glued the sides down, then the front tip, and worked the front down along both bows. Finally the rear was folded under. Most Y-boats are covered like this when not in use. You may find it useful to glue a small rod/bit of sprue between the two rear float tips to help the rear fold hold its shape.

Dave

3 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Thanks Wayne.

To answer your questions:

2) I did glue the rings on. The rings sit in brackets and aren't tied to allow rapid deployment.

3) The Y-boat was covered in tin foil. 

Dave

Cheers for that Dave.

I was going to feed the thread through the holes on the bracket to hold it into place.

Did you spray the foil both sides?

Wayne.

• 2 weeks later...