Stocky Edwards' FW190

Grizly

Looking at that picture & after having a furkle around the googlesphere, I reckon the upper wing roundel will be in the same area as the upper wing Balkan Cruz was, so somewhat more inboard than the RAF usually put their roundels. As to what type, I'd go for something similar to the ones visible on the photo of the original, something between type A & type D, I'd use type A, the reasoning being, that if you're flying a captured type, you don't want to be shot down by your mates so maximum visbilty, the same reason that some aircraft retained type A below wings after the transition to type C roundels. There doesn't seem to be any evidence to the contrary so its up to you what you do, unless someone has a photo that confirms what was there.

Steve.

PS, just spotted this one, should have seen it before, thats what happens doing BM & cooking tea at the same time. :), I reckon I can see a larger upper wing roundel but with a pale centre so maybe similar to type A as I said before but at least 36" +/-

Edited by stevehnz

I found this having another prowl around, (you've got me interested. :) ) It is supposedly Edward's captured Fw190 from an earlier time  before Edwards had his initials put on it & the roundels reduced on the fuselage & underwing & tail flash at least. A-type roundels & the better look at the upper wing shows smaller than the earlier underwing ones so probably not altered. I'm not convinced though that it is the same aircraft, the photo you've posted above is also on Hyperscale which gives it a Wk Nr of 993849 which doesn't look like the Wk Nr in the third photo on FalkeEins blog. Also the camo demarcation level on the side of the engine cowl is quite different,

Steve.

• Like 1

I've met Stocky and I have built him a Spitfire Mk IX. He has wonderful stories. VE Day he led a formation of 111 Spitfires in a Victory Flypast.

We took him for a Hornet ride too, he was 84 years old when we took him for his flight. He handled the G's better than the pro-football player in the other jet.

I was worried his bones may be too fragile for the flight. The Boss flew him.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I've met Stocky and I have built him a Spitfire Mk IX. He has wonderful stories. VE Day he led a formation of 111 Spitfires in a Victory Flypast.

I'm immensely jealous. For me has to be one of the greatest Allied pilots of the war. Given that he dispatched several experten, I've always felt he indirectly saved many valuable lives.

• Like 2

I hadn't realized Stocky had an FW-190 F8 with his markings on it.  Well now, here I thought I was "finished" garnering all the kits that I could have garnered that had been flown by RCAF pilots and then THIS thing shows up... *LOL

Thanks for posting Grizly!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2016-12-20 at 10:48 PM, Procopius said:

I'm immensely jealous. For me has to be one of the greatest Allied pilots of the war. Given that he dispatched several experten, I've always felt he indirectly saved many valuable lives.

Anytime we deployed to Comox BC with our jets his doors were always open at his house for anyone in the Squadron.

Stocky and his wife were wonderful hosts. Nice to see they are in such great health, both of them.

I have his book signed too.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2016 at 11:43 AM, stevehnz said:

I found this having another prowl around, (you've got me interested. :) ) It is supposedly Edward's captured Fw190 from an earlier time  before Edwards had his initials put on it & the roundels reduced on the fuselage & underwing & tail flash at least. A-type roundels & the better look at the upper wing shows smaller than the earlier underwing ones so probably not altered. I'm not convinced though that it is the same aircraft, the photo you've posted above is also on Hyperscale which gives it a Wk Nr of 993849 which doesn't look like the Wk Nr in the third photo on FalkeEins blog. Also the camo demarcation level on the side of the engine cowl is quite different,

Steve.

Digging up this one as I'm also looking at this one! There are a couple of other dis-similarities (cross painted out on JFE, but no trace of roundel), but the thing that convinces me that FalkeEins' blog is mistaken is that these photos originate from the album of a  South African pilot, Cecil Golding, who was with 3 SAAF in Italy - as far as I know, 3 SAAF went no where near Travemuende. Pics of the same aircraft appear in a couple of other SAAF pilot albums as well IIRC.

You can see them here:

http://saafww2photographs.yolasite.com/cecil-golding-1.php

I wish my Fw190 knowledge was good enough to say if this was an F8 or an A8!

There only appear to be two photos of JFE (that I've found so far!)

• Like 1

On 19/12/2016 at 3:02 AM, Grizly said:

I'm building a model of Stocky Edwards' FW-190 and was wondering if anyone would care to speculate on what the size and style of the upper wing roundels were?

FW190-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Britman said:

Do we know anything about the Bf108 in the background? 

This link might help you both http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/394/language/en-CA/WTF.aspx

I would recommend hitting CMD F and searching for the BF 108 and Fw 190 respectively. It's very long, albeit incredibly interesting and well written page!

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread as I finally got around to working on a 1/72 Eduard FW190 f-8 for Stocky's aircraft.   Something's puzzling me in terms of the upper wing markings.  One could, perhaps, make the assumption that where the Balkenkreuz was located, and now type A roundels are placed, the RAF would have had to "blot out" said Balkenkreuz similarly to what they did on the fuselage.  That is, use some paint prior to painting the type A roundel. 

Is this a fair "assumption" (yes.. assuming is a bad thing but I can't seem to locate any photos of the aircraft from "above" per se)

Any input appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaveCS said:

One could, perhaps, make the assumption that where the Balkenkreuz was located, and now type A roundels are placed, the RAF would have had to "blot out" said Balkenkreuz similarly to what they did on the fuselage.  That is, use some paint prior to painting the type A roundel. 

Is this a fair "assumption" (yes.. assuming is a bad thing but I can't seem to locate any photos of the aircraft from "above" per se)

Any input appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

I think, in the absence of any photographic evidence of the upper wings, that your idea of copying the process of overpainting used on the fuselage makes sense.

Of course the colour used to do this would be anyone's guess :wink:.

But, as they say, it's your model and, in your place, I would simply suggest to any doubter - 'show me the evidence   ':laugh: 

SD

• Like 1

I started this discussion back in 2016 and am surprised to see it is still alive. I have since completed my models of Edwards' 190 and Spit XVIe. The 190 is the Revell 1/32 F-8 kit less guns, bomb rack and underwing antenna and the Spit is a combination of Tamiya's 1/32  IXc and XVIe. The additional photos of his 190 posted by Dave Fleming are greatly appreciated. As a follow-on project, I'd like to build Hasegawa 1/32 models of his P-40K and Bf-109F-4Trop that he flew in North Africa. Regarding the latter, unlike colour interpretations found on line, I believe the 109 actually had a yellow band mid fuselage and a yellow underside. Unfortunately, both kits are somewhat hard to find these days.

spacer.png

LXN4tBx.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 1/24/2022 at 6:29 PM, Grizly said:

I started this discussion back in 2016 and am surprised to see it is still alive. I have since completed my models of Edwards' 190 and Spit XVIe. The 190 is the Revell 1/32 F-8 kit less guns, bomb rack and underwing antenna and the Spit is a combination of Tamiya's 1/32  IXc and XVIe. The additional photos of his 190 posted by Dave Fleming are greatly appreciated. As a follow-on project, I'd like to build Hasegawa 1/32 models of his P-40K and Bf-109F-4Trop that he flew in North Africa. Regarding the latter, unlike colour interpretations found on line, I believe the 109 actually had a yellow band mid fuselage and a yellow underside. Unfortunately, both kits are somewhat hard to find these days.

LXN4tBx.jpg

That is basically how I'm going to tackle this Grizly!!  Thanks for posting images!! 

Cheers,

Dave

On 1/25/2022 at 11:37 AM, Grizly said:

Me again. I just found the answer to part of the above question - he flew the P-40E with 94 Squadron prior to his transfer to 260 Squadron.

WwZev7s.jpg

Now that's a nice scheme. One to add to the "to do" list. Is that lower part of the cowl black?

Steve